Welcome to Old Trafford #7 Alexis Sánchez :)

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lame announcement but damn it's finally nice to have someone worthy of the #7 shirt since CR7 left.

3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

5. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :laugh:

What the fck was that video all about? Talk about going over the top.

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't dis it - took the marketting department all day to work on that.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All it was missing was a ray of light shining down on him as he raised his arms, as he slowly levitated from the ground.:D

jnielsen and Sofabloke repped this.
  8. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't totally believe this came off, and one of the more fascinating transfers I can remember. In terms of present level, I don't think there are too many better players we could have added to the squad; most of the players I'd rate above him look unattainable or close to it. We were still badly in need of another attacking difference maker (we're starting Mata regularly for god's sake) and Alexis is honestly better than the best we could have hoped for.

The only real short-term questions are about how he'll fit into the team and how he gets on with Mourinho. We're quite conservative in terms of both our attacking play and overall approach under Mou and Alexis seems like the type who might get frustrated with that at times. Combined with the slight sense that he's coming here to some extent because Plan A (City) didn't come off, and I do worry a bit about keeping him happy/engaged.

Long term the question will be how many top years he has left and whether his wages become an issue, either in terms of the overall wage structure or because he drops a level and becomes an albatross. Still I think it's a risk we have to take given the necessity of adding a star attacking player (and not just a potential future star ala Martial a couple seasons ago, but someone ready to produce now) to the team.

topnoevili and United 16 repped this.
  9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He might be in for shock when we park the bus against big teams. His winning mentality seems at odds with Mourinho's safety\don't lose philosophy.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great day getting this deal over the line! Not only got a great player, but we've a warrior as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I liked the keyboard tune.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's no Memphis.

jnielsen, Deadtigers and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  13. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dybala and Sergej in the summer please with another CM and an attacking fullback please.
    I hope Real wants Hazard and ignore Dybala.

14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    At least we know why it took so long to announce, Sanchez probably spent the whole time practicing that.

Good thing he opted against playing the Chilean anthem too, judging by most South American anthems we’d have had to wait till after WC2022.

doubletrouble repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    If I had a penny for every time one of our new signings was compared to Cantona...

United 16 and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 Ashur, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Which other of our (recent) signings genuinely had it in them to have the same impact potentially as Cantona, except for Zlatan?
    Whether it may or may not have been thrown about previously, there is no doubt that Sanchez has not only the talent, but the desire/mental makeup to have a profound influence on the team.
    Custis can be considered a blowhard most of the time, but he actually makes interesting points in this case...

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Cantona comparison was made about Mata and Di Maria as well if I recall correctly. Any big name that signs here gets that comparison. Sanchez has the ability to provide that spark, but realistically what titles could he spur us to this season? the FA cup maybe but the league is all but gone and the CL would take us playing out of our mind, some favorable draws, and other teams playing below their quality.

21. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    You do know that Jose is our manager, don't you? :ROFLMAO:

We'll be lucky if we get one of them tbh. Would love us to get both as well but I think it could be one or the other and/or Ozil, IMO. And even then, I think it would be overkill as both aren't a great fit for each other's preferred formation. And would be a case of square pegs in round holes.

On Sanchez: awesome signing, the fact we aren't paying a penny and offloading Miki makes it even sweeter. It'll also save our budget for Jose's massive purchase he alluded to earlier in the season. I hope the purchase is a world class midfielder to free up Pogba, and that we get Ozil for the lols of decimating Arsenal's attack without paying them a penny.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Ashur, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018

The only one I had heard of before Zlatan was Berbatov. Never heard about such comparisons for Mata or ADM, but they're all BS and completely erroneous to me, because it's not just about football abilities, but that special mental makeup (being a winner+have the ability to be an inspiration to his teammates). Only Zlatan potentially embodied that in recent years IMO, even if that didn't fully work out as planned.
    And it's not about what title he can lead us to this season necessarily, so much as his overall impact on the team by the time he'll be done. I don't think it's that far fetched to claim that for the next couple of seasons after this one, we are in a great position to win major trophies because of Alexis's presence alone.
    The perfect example to me that shows he has what it takes to be that type of player is what he did for Chile in recent years. Granted Vidal is another big piece of that team, but apart from those 2, it's not like they have those world class, awesome players around them (most of them at club level are even pretty mediocre). But they've still managed to be very respectable in recent years (capped off by 2 Copa America victories).
    Sanchez is special: we've got some pretty solid pieces right now and hopefully with him in the mix, it will take the team collectively to the next level.

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    By definition, Sanchez can't possibly have the same impact as Cantona and I'm not sure any new player United could ever bring in, even after we're all long gone, could have the impact that Cantona had for United in 1992. Seems like yesterday, but my God that was over 25 years ago.

United were in a completely different place as a club when Cantona arrived from where the club is now. And even if you put that aside, the impact on the pitch Cantona had upon his arrival beyond anything we've seen from any other new transfer since. You could say maybe Ronaldo, but Ronaldo didn't have the instant impact Cantona did. Over time, of course, but Cristiano was a boy. Eric was a man who nearly instantly become the leader of the squad.

It's probably best to leave comparisons at the door and let Sanchez be Sanchez.

United 16 repped this.
  24. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    mourinho don't play, no more dithering bs. he zeroes in on targets and then it's a quick go/no go depending on their interest and the other club's willingness to sell. i recall that's one of the first thing he said when he joined: he doesn't like to go after "impossible" targets. the days of players giving united the run around to improve their contrats are over.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well then, it actually happened. i could have done without the "this is my dream" statement from both him and the outgoing Mkhitaryan but i hope it works out for both him and the club.

we've not had the best record of utilisation with good players in recent years and i don't buy into the the after-the-fact idea they were bad players in disguise or any of that

topnoevili repped this.