Welcome to Manchester - Bastian Schweinsteiger

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by nimma, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Finally, waste of space transfer.

2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not ridiculous at all. Bastian wasn't getting any minutes, anyway. Jose places his trust in Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini and it works for him. Our midfielders are doing their job, but where things go awry is with our finishing, as has been pointed out to you before.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Mourinho, but casting off a player who's well down the depth chart isn't one of them.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We currently have 4 players for 2 positions to play 2 games a week for the rest of the season. One of them is suspended, the other has muscle injury. I would also bet Herrera gets another suspension at one point before the season is over.

I'd have waited till the end of the season. Were not too far off being forced to play Rooney in midfield again.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #779 Ashur, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Disappointing to see him leave now. United certainly could have used him for the run in, in some way, especially for European games that look perfectly suited to him.
    It always was a matter of time though and while his stay was not as productive as it should/could have been, the man, as expected, was all class.
    Best of luck to him in MLS...

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We have a small squad with injuries, suspensions and fatigue heading into a crucial and congested part of the season.

We are already in bad shape without voluntarily losing even more depth. If this was known about for months (which it apparently was) we should have made a move in January. When we did not he should have been made to stay until the end of the season.

Deadtigers, Gilma1990 and United 16 repped this.
  6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good riddance.

sdotsom and SyedZada repped this.
  7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Professor Brainfart repped this.
  8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As far I can tell, neither Carrick nor Fellaini nor Herrera are injured. Herrera is out on suspension, but not for much longer. We're going to rely on those three, plus Pogba of course, for primary midfield duty.

Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge fan of Bastian Schweinsteiger and would agree with your assertion (if this is what you're arguing) that Mourinho vastly underutilized him. And that really disappoints me as he's easily a class or two better than Fellaini and had he been given proper playing time would be on at least the same level as Carrick. But the truth is that he wasn't getting any playing time under Mourinho and cutting him loose now is good for the club and good for the player. There's no use in having him hoover up 200k/week to sit on the bench while he's at best fifth on the depth chart, never to even make the matchday squad.

As for January, who cares? What's done is done and there's no point in worrying about we should have done. What's important is what we should do now. Letting a player who gets no time on the pitch makes perfect sense. And with MLS underway the timing couldn't be better for Bastian himself.

There are those who argue that Bastian is a poor shadow of his former glory. That's going too far but there's some truth in that. His top gear is long gone but he still has some game. But the point for United is that there really was no future for Bastian at Old Trafford. While we grind out a return to the CL it's not too early to think about reshaping the squad to put us into a position to compete for the CL trophy next season and there was no way Bastian was going to be an essentially part of next season's squad.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not that I agreed with it, but I understand where Jose was coming from in his handling of Bastian. But whether Bastian played or not, it's still clearly the case that the strength of this squad is our keeper and our midfielders and that our greatest weakness is on the front line. Too many glorious chances went missed and we dropped too many stupid points to the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth. Bastian being in would have made no difference.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better hope for no suspensions or injuries to our midfield indeed the rest f the way. Really a strange decision, timing wise, that I do not understand and definitely is very disappointing and just vexing.
    And the fact that he's been sparsely used so far by Jose, was all the more reason in my estimation that he could have been very useful at some point in our run in, be it in Europe as previously mentioned, but also in the league against lower oppo, if nothing else.
    We're talking a couple more months and the wage issue is BS as far as I'm concerned: we've paid him all that money so far, what would another 8 more weeks or so, woud have changed?

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The kind of signing we should never again make.

May as well give youth a chance when not relying on our first team rather than

I'd play TFM before BS.

jeff070, cr7torossi and sdotsom repped this.
  13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    So would Jose, clearly.

Rationally benni has a point. Knowing how Jose operates, it is clear money saved.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The topic as to Schweinsteiger should have ever been signed in the first place is an entirely different matter, as opposed to the fact that, what role r function he could have fulfilled, especially in a run in that is shaping up to be brutal.
    Most here are clearly on record as to wanting Timmy to get some games in midfield and hopefully, it can still happen, but to claim that Jose clearly prefers him to Schweini in midfield, sounds pretty presumptuous. After all, in the handful (if that) appearances Timmy has made this season, how many of them were in the heart of midfield....?

15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting point.

We're pretty deep in midfield already and it's really hard to see us becoming so depleted that we would have been reduced to starting either Schweinsteiger or Fosu-Mensah. Although we haven't seen it, Jose could easily go with Blind before BS or TFM. But if Blind were out injured too (in addition to Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini) then he could go to TFM.

When Louis brought in Bastian, it was probably down to familiarity than anything else, more or less like Moyes bringing Fellaini. Not the most intelligent signing given the circumstances but not completely irrational either. (Fellaini might have been a rational signing had Moyes used him correctly instead of trying to turn him into a deep-lying midfielder.) But one could imagine that Louis had no idea what Carrick had left in the tank. It turned out, of course, that Carrick had plenty in the tank and still does. Ok, Carrick is a once-a-week footballer now but that once a week is pretty good stuff. Louis also didn't appreciate what a great midfielder Herrera really is. And of course there was no Pogba yet and TFM was nowhere in sight as a potential first teamer. We had gone in for mids like Vidal, to no avail. So under the circumstances there was some logic to what Louis was thinking at the time.

But here we are now and the logic of Jose letting Bastian go now actually makes perfect sense, although I'm one of the few who actually believes that Bastian could have made a strong contribution to the squad this season if he were allowed to, yet at the same time it's highly unlikely that his strong contribution would have put us in a better position in the league table than we're in now. Fact 1: Bastian was getting no playing time at OT anyway. Fact 2: Bastian wants to play football, not be an unused squad man. Fact 3: We're deep enough in midfield already without Bastian. Fact 4: Best to get his massive wage off the books.

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Shame we couldn't have brought him in during his prime. Still one of my favorite players ever but was well past it when he got here. He could still be successful in the MLS if he can stay healthy.

United 16 repped this.
  18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He will get injured quickly and not register as a success in MLS. Those hot summer day games are killer for the muscles. Anyhow, I wish him well. Won't be watching until next season.

19. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to watching our Basti get torched by Carlos Rivas and outmuscled by Cyle Larin.

benni... repped this.
  20. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    alright so the #31 shirt is free once again. at least he got 2 cups in a short stay.

all the best to him there.

J'can repped this.