Welcome to Manchester - Bastian Schweinsteiger

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by nimma, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    BBC made Mikhi MotM, MEN & fans made Basti.

I'm more with BBC - Schweini was poor first half, he was better second when they tired enough to come down to his fitness level, but I think he would struggle again against an EPL midfield and Jose knows it.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last point is precisely why I think Schweinsteiger would be more effective for us in EL games, where he would be able to play in a holding mid role, that he probably would not be able to handle against most teams in the Prem.
    If we plan on going deep in Europe, Carrick will simply not be able to handle Thursday and then weekend games. Pity that Blind does not seem to be an option for Jose in midfield, so Schweinsteiger becomes the next best pick vs continental oppo for that position.

Playboy Red Devil repped this.
  3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair the entire team sucked in the first half. Basti, TFM, and Shaw all showed signs of rust from lack of playing time.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Rojo didn't suck.

Martial and Mhiki had just as good impacts in the half a game were praising Bastien for.

He's done.

Buy him out before August and get someone who can play in this league.

sdotsom repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my point: rust and lack of match fitness was probably an issue for Schweinsteiger, along with other players. But he significantly improved in the second and end up having a very good game.
    The hope is that he can go on proving himself useful for the rest of the season, at which point, he can be let go, in order to make room for at least one new arrival and also for TFM as well ideally, if we're being honest.​

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What @benni... said. We are attempting to find a place for Schwein and it may pass simply because we aren't in a legitimate European competion. He has no business in our squad after this season - if he's still a midfielder on our squad next season then we've failed in the window. He's ready to move, and we should get him out. Yesterday was nice, but let's not celebrate too much about a performance again a team about to drop into League One.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #757 Ashur, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    I believe that's exactly what I said about him beyond this season,speaking regards to the present, given our current situation in midfield for the rest of this season, it would be stupid to think he has nothing to provide, especially in a competition like the EL.
    Which serves our purposes perfectly given the fact that Carrick can definitely not go twice a week. Not to mention that Jose unfortunately doesn't appear to believe that Blind is an option there and he let Schneiderlin go.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Schweinsteiger getting any minutes is a damning indictment on Woodward for putting him a ludicrous contract and failing to sell him but also Mourinho for allowing our central midfield to weaken to such an extent that he is deemed an option.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Schweini is only going to move to the MLS or China - as I understand it the China window closes end of Feb and the MLS teams are in pre-season. So if he is to move on it would be now rather than the summer.

Hopefully yesterday was his swansong.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was pleasantly surprised at how well he played, even if it was against non-PL opposition. Especially since he looked absolutely gassed at around the 20th minute. I thought we were going to need to make a first half sub or take him off on a stretcher.

I would say he could still be useful in the Carrick role against lesser PL teams and in cup games, but because of his wages I'd rather just sell him.

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We can all bitch and moan about past decisions to extend a player's contract or buy a new player -- the decision to extend Rooney's contract comes to mind -- but here we are and Jose must play the hand he has. At least until he has a chance to do more pruning this summer.

We know our best XI, which does not include Schweinsteiger. But there can be no debate that Schweinsteiger is a far more accomplished and refined football than Fellaini.

The starting XI Jose put out against Wigan excluded our three first choice midfielders but it was a thing of beauty nonetheless to watch our B Team players dismantle a plucky yet overmatched Wigan squad. If this is the last time we ever see Schweinsteiger play for United, so be it, but he proved this weekend that he's a very nice option to have on the squad.

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A thing of beauty? Are you serious? This is a club that is barely holding on to its Championship status. Our B players should stomp them. What our players did isn't a matter of praise, it's a matter of business.

We have fallen if beating Wigan is a testament to our squad.

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is the same poster who thought our 3rd round game put to bed any doubt about whether carrick is a united legend.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #764 Ashur, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    That sounds very unlikely, if we're going by Jose's latest comments about him alone. Not only that but allowing him to leave now after just doing the same with Schneiderlin, would not make a whole lot of sense.
    I'd venture that MLS is still in the cards, probably in the summer but not before.

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Got some info from someone...motwyw

but got some inside info from chicago side

-Mourinho wanted to get rid of Schweini no matter what, your board put a halt to that
    -They are holding out for a transfer fee. MLS/Fire won't pay it, you guys want us to pay what you paid Bayern
    -Fire offering Schweini $7m a year. Schweini wants you guys to pay out the difference in salaries for the remaining 18 months.

My guess is something gets done late February/March when your schedule eases up and are potentially out of one of the tournaments (EL and/or FA Cup)

Playboy Red Devil and jeff070 repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You miss the point.

We were able to rest our best players. We were able to use this match to give Shaw, Smalling and Martial valuable time in a competitive setting. We were able to bring out Tuanzebe and Pereira for their first team debut. TFM got what any of us consider to be a well-earned start, and although he didn't make the most of it we got a glimpse of his athleticism and raw talent and there can't possibly be one among us who doesn't want to see more of him. Our midfielders scored goals. And we got a glimpse of Schweinsteiger, who put in a MOTM performance for us. And still stroll to a comfortable win in the FA Cup fourth round.

This was a thing of beauty.

If you, and "JamesA", cannot possibly comprehend why this was a thing of beauty -- seen in the larger context of the development of this squad and the long-term goals United are striving to achieve -- that is your loss.

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reports coming out that he's just signed for the Chicago Fire and will be announced soon.

18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all but official. He will meet up with the team next week supposedly. Regardless of how it all ended, the man is a legend. I look forward to going to see him play in San Jose or LA.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I look forward to going to see him by sitting in my front row seat in Chicago.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Ridiculous. Mourinho is further weakening an already weakened squad at the worst possible time.

Gilma1990 and Ashur repped this.
  21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    there is a scenario where he leaves here having won three cups.

surprised this didn't happen sooner

23. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Meh. Wages off the books. Wouldn't have minded if he stuck around through the run in, but given that Jose clearly doesn't rotate and wants to run Pogba and Herrera into dust, no reason for him to stay. His time here was completely forgettable - maybe 5 good games total? But he seemed nice enough if you ignore the stories about his professionalism last year.

Best of luck. Not sure if he's fit enough for theses hot ass summer games in MLS but we'll see.