Welcome to Juve CR7! - The Ronaldo Effect

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by IcEWoLF, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talk is that ESPN and Turner are fighting for the Serie A rights.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a staggering number... In the 24 hours after Ronaldo was announced, there were 520,000 Juve jerseys sold.

Bibooo, IcEWoLF, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That is a lot of fan boys & girls.

5. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who is Cristiano Ronaldo?

Falc repped this.
  6. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I'm pretty sure that the price of everything will go up. Stadium naming rights, advertising and everything Juve. But they need to win.

7. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omg that is the funniest shit I’ve seen!

Dante repped this.
  8. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and making anything short of CL finals it will be a failure.
    Allegri needs to work on the team chemistry since this is gonna be a whole new group except few veterans here and there.

juveeer repped this.
  9. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC

His admiration for this club really does seem to be genuine. The fact that Mendes approached us, seemingly at Cristiano's initiative and with his blessing, when he could have easily enticed Manchester United or PSG or any number of offers from China, is just... something else.

Even the mention of our club was condescendingly dismissed by the media, and when it was officially announced, so many of the EPL pundits seemed offended that we had the temerity to interrupt the given narrative that he would either retire with RM or return to Utd. Or at the very "worst," cash in at PSG. They didn't even think that Juventus was worthy of being on the radar for a deal such as this; but the one person who did was CR himself.

It's rather moving to know that CR holds this club is such esteem that he chose us over any other and that the deal wouldn't have happened without his effort. Yes, he's going to make a ridiculous sum of money, but overall it's less than what he would have earned if he had stayed in Spain, taxes or no taxes. He's willing to take a risk by moving to a new league at this stage of his career.

It's an extraordinary endorsement of not only of the work this club's administration has done over the past 8 seasons, but of our future potential. Because if Ronaldo did not believe that he would be able to keep winning with Juve, he never would've given us a second thought.

I know that if he's half as good for us as he was Real Madrid, I'm going to regret all those years I spent loathing the guy. In his own way, there really does seem to be a genuineness about him that is rare in football these days.

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well put, as usual.

The thing is, and this might sound a bit crazy, but I was not completely surprised by this development. He had dropped a few hints over the last year or so about us, including saying in a couple of interviews that when he went to ManU that we were the alternative. Then he made those congratulatory remarks about our fans after he knifed us in the gut with that bike in our stadium, and it seemed genuine even then.

Of course it didn't stop him from twisting the knife even deeper at the White House with that PK, but when he said after the CL Final "it had been nice playing at Madrid", it was pretty clear he was going someplace.

What did surprise me is the amount of the transfer fee. Even at 33 that is ridiculously low for the best player in the world who keeps himself in tip top condition and still scored more goals than games played LAST SEASON. I thought he might like to come here, but assumed the fee would be astronomical and hence we couldn't even enter the field of battle. That is part of why all the PremHeads dismissed us.

And the fact that it was so low is a tribute to CR's absolute desire to COME HERE. And that the deal was signed before anyone else had a chance to jump in and start a bidding war. In that sense a determined player does hold most of the cards since if he doesn't want to go to a PSG and a ManUre he simply refuses to go. Juve is where he wanted to go and that is a tribute to the integrity of the Club, its fans, its players, its management and its RETURNING status as one of the top 3-4 Clubs in Europe.

Forza Juve and a tip of the chapeau to CR7 for recognizing the potential for greatness that awaits him in Turin.

scirea6 repped this.
  11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well....I am not the only one who things we got a bargain with CR7.

Here come the Real Wars:

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/ne...ent-100-million-for-ronaldo-is-a-bargai-67553

Calderon:

"......The sale of Ronaldo is an unforgivable mistake for which Florentino will pay dearly - Calderon declares in La Gazzetta dello Sport - it was a wretched operation." "With the farewell of Ronaldo - continues Calderon - the image of the club was damaged. Too much money? It does not exist, Cristiano is a living legend. Great work Agnelli. "

100 million? For Cristiano it is also little! The deal is of Juventus, a great job by Agnelli. Who brings 50 goals like him? Think about how much spent for Neymar, Mbappé and Coutinho. Ronaldo is still superior. "

Serie A - "I imagine CR7 with other cups on the bulletin board and more than 50 goals, now Juventus can seriously aim to the Champions League. The Italians will be exalted and will be a perfect example for all.

Added value- "The value of the club will increase incredibly, the price paid will be canceled by advertising and sponsors. In a very short time the money spent will be abundantly compensated.

Ronaldo’s secret – “He wakes up to overcome himself, he is an exemplary professional who takes care of himself in a manic way. His character and qualities make him unbeatable. He lives for football....”

scirea6 repped this.
  12. SCP+Piranha

SCP+Piranha New Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jul 14, 2018
    Damn. I was hoping he would return to Sporting instead. Good luck anyway. ;)

13. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well given the way he takes care of himself, there's still time enough for that. ;)

But I agree. It would be nice to see him return to Sporting before he retires (technically I don't have a "second club," but SCP are the Portuguese club I sympathize with).

14. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I can't stand that Jorge Jesus so as long as he is not the coach I am down with that.

15. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I my loathing of Mourinho just makes me unable to stand Porto in any sense, not to mention their former chairman (at least I believe he is no longer with the club) basically got away with the kind of open corruption that made any of the accusations against Moggi utterly meaningless. Which was regrettable, because I went to university with a guy who ridiculously good-looking but a Portista to the core and this was during the time when Moaninho was managing the merdisti scum, so they became his "default" second club. Needless to say, that went nowhere fast (I do have some kind of standard...).

And Benfica just never did anything for me.

Plus, you have to hand it to Sporting. Truly that club is one of the great developers of talent in all of world football.

juveeer repped this.
  16. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica is catching up big time.

Right now, the Portuguese footballers to look forward to are all coming from Benfica. It's taken awhile, but we are starting to make strides.

17. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #42 scirea6, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Yeah, I thought that Benfica has been the resurgent/dominant force in Portugal for years now.

Not that that saddens me or anything; I'd much rather see Benfica as a dominant force than Porto. I don't know if this is factually true (my knowledge of Portuguese football being limited), but I've always felt/considered Benfica to be an historical club in a way that Porto simply is not. And that might be because Benfica/Sporting is one of the truly historic rivalries in world football. You never hear about Sporting/Porto or Benfica/Porto mentioned in the same breath, at least not until their Mourinho era.

What has happened to Porto since 2013? Did a new administration at Benfica usher in their current "golden era," so to speak, or did Pinto da Costa just "lose his touch," as it were? Or was their success actually propped up/propelled by corruption, as has been insinuated?

18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Sooooo........according to reports out of ADL land, we were Ronaldo's second choice.

His "Plan B."

He REEEAAALLLLY wanted to go to Napoli but they decided not to spend the money, according to them.

LOL. Then why was the figure cited 350 million for a Napoli transfer, when we got him for 100-112?

Sounds legit. HaHaHa

And people wonder why Juve dominate Serie A. How many clowns does this league have as owners? Does any other major league come close to that number?

I think not.

https://m.calciomercato.com/en/news/revealed-ronaldo-could-have-joined-napoli-21682?os=msite

19. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It's a bit like what happened immediately after we signed Arturo Vidal, and then all of a sudden there were all of these articles in the Milanese press reporting that merda was originally close to signing him.

Only this is far more ridiculous and embarrassing, because there was no way the dumpsters could have even afforded 1/3 of the transfer fee.

Their envy of us, our success, and our unprecedented domination drives to distraction. They literally cannot handle it, and I'm loving every minute of it.

20. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scirea6 repped this.
  21. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  22. cizko

cizko Member

Juve
    Italy
    Jul 14, 2017
    What is this news about Ronaldo wanted to go to Napoli? Cannot quite comprehend this bit of info.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some journalist wrote how he was going to go to Napoli first, a journalist who is admitted Napoli fan and writes for a Neapolitan paper. His credibility is zero.

IcEWoLF and scirea6 repped this.
  24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some journalist wrote how he was going to go to Napoli first, a journalist who is admitted Napoli fan and writes for a Neapolitan paper. His credibility is zero.

25. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It's nothing but bullshit.

They're so envious that we signed Cristiano Ronaldo just after they "should have won the Scudetto" that a Nipoli-supporting "journalist" is claiming that Nipoli were actually CR's "first choice."

It's just the trashcans being trashy.