Welcome Sergio Germán Romero - The Romero & Juliet Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 27, 2015.

1. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    #26 jeff070, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Play Romero for a year or two, give Joel a chance see if he is up for it.

Go for a cheaper option like Forster.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would sooner go for Butland or even Pickford over Forster. And really, if we're not going for a truly elite keeper, than I'd rather stick with Romero.
    Pereira in my opinion is another player who should start the season on loan (preferably to a Prem club to get used to the game there).
    Even if it's just a half season loan until January, hopefully he'd get the opportunity to play regularly. If he does well and is needed, he can be brought back in Jan. if not, let him stay the whole season as it would be good experience for him.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Their higher ups have already been talking about nine figures. I doubt he will got for that but we would not be able to sell de Gea, buy Oblak and have much, if any, change.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I saw somewhere that his release clause was 60mil (can't remember whether it was € or £ though). If the actual number is 100mil, then it would absolutely change everything. As mentioned I'd have no problems blowing the whole Dave money on Oblak, if it came to it.
    But adding a substantial amount on top of it? Not interested. Would rather stick with Romero and spend on a big time prospect then. Although, there's always Leno and that allegedly very low release clause of his, which makes him intriguing...

5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Spot on. Romero has not only looked like a transformed keeper of late, it looks like he's been hitting the gym. There's a scowl on his face, the look of a player who's no longer a bench warmer but a leader of the squad. The man is on a mission.

It wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if he puts in a fantastic performance v Ajax, if Jose goes with Romero next season.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Gilma1990 repped this.
  7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Probably the best club backup keeper in the game. Can't think of anyone who comes close.

Kind of strange that he would be happy with being De Gea's backup, especially in the knowledge that if/when De Gea leaves, he's far from destined to being our #1 keeper. There's heavy talk in the British tabloids, completely baseless rumors in all likelihood, that De Gea will be replaced by Oblak this summer. No word whatsoever that Romero would ever step up to be our #1, yet he's probably somewhere around the 10th-15th best keeper on the planet and undoubtedly better than 15 keepers in the EPL

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The #1 among #2s in the game right now. Couldn't ask more from a backup goalkeeper.

12. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have always wondered why he never left to be a 1 somewhere else.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He gets paid well, he gets to win trophies and he is a in a stable situation where he gets to play frequently. I don't think his level is really that high. He's certainly very good, but he's not like a top 4 GK in any top league. He's more a midtable starter.

14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sure but it is not that he would start for a top league, he would start for plenty of teams in this league even.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, but starting for say an Everton would probably be par in terms of back up salary for United. He'll never win a trophy. Here, he's our FA Cup GK and plays in important matches.

At a Newcastle for example he'd be a cult hero and start every match and probably take a paycut. I don't see the point. If he went to another league he'd absolutely be taking a paycut.

16. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We are very very lucky to have back up GK that does not really give a shit about playing time. Currently, he seems content with his current role with the club and country.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    “Low IQ” for Rashford and now “midtable starter” for Romero. Word.

18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Romero can start for Arsenal and Spurs, lucky to have him and just incase he moves on whats the status regarding JPerriera??

19. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Probably Chelsea too. Romero is a stud.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's a very clear reason why Romero hasn't asked for a move. He's making a lot of money and he has no competition for the Argentina NT goalkeeper job.

johno repped this.
  21. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dude, you talk way too much sense. You're no top red.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see Romero moving. He's on a pretty generous contract until 2021. He's more than good enough to play for a decent team in all major leagues in Europe, but he appears to be pretty happy with his current situation at United.
    JP surely could be our backup, if needed, but being on loan as he is at the moment is what he needs the most at this point of his career.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good on Grant: speaking Spanish better than Valencia does English I bet.

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Happy Birthday Romero ! He only just turn 32 today tbh i thought he was 36-37. Very grateful to have him here keeps his head down and doesn't moan much.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Can't ask more from a backup tbh. His words in the presser prior to the game spoke volume and gave me a whole new appreciation and love for the guy. This is a player who could easily be a #1 somewhere, who internationally was Argentina's #1 for a long time (probably still would be to this day with regular football, judging by their current options are). And obviously, it's no secret he'd love to play more if he had the opportunity.
    Yet, he let all of that go because he genuinely cares about the club (by his own admission, has been a fan since he was a kid). And despite the club going thru a lean period, he's just happy because he plays in the club of his dreams. And does not look to be leaving anytime soon.
    For a foreigner and a backup who easily could be much more, that is commitment right there.

jnielsen repped this.