Welcome, new forum visitors!

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I just kinda have this feeling some folks might be wondering whether we've got any good young players in the pipeline right about now.

2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    This is where I am living for the next few weeks at least.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two years basically

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    I haven't fully compiled the data to back up my ideas but here it goes.

IMO the 97s/98s will be the core team to qualify and compete for 2022. 24 to 28 are the usual peak pro age range.

Pulisic, Sargent, CCV etc..

project 01s' is what I call the benchmark of the new era in U.S. development program.
    Typically if you are on a path to be an elite WC player (IMO), you debut with your pro club around 18/19. I'll give you a couple of years afterwards to carve a starting XI spot. That makes you 21ish. If the U.S. can produce a starting XI player on a UEFA Champions league team, I consider you elite level player, age and team..

by my train of thought the 21 year olds in 2022 are 01s/02s now, 15 and 14 year old.
    Who are on my radar now:

Ulysses Llanez
    Taylor Booth
    Konrad de la Fuente
    Julian Araujo
    George Bello
    Gianluca Busio
    Giovanni Reyna
    Joshua Pynadath

Mahtzo1, TheFalseNine, C-Rob and 2 others repped this.
  5. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Sad thing is only three or four of the listed will even make it.

6. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Hopefully the U17s have a deep run in the tournament to provide some hope.

Winoman and beerslinger23 repped this.
  7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is where we dream and fantasize, and not be subject to the nightmares at that awful forum.

8. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    This is the group where we should start to see the results of the USSF youth initiative. I'm not sure there will be many Champions League-caliber players, but I suspect there will be a lot more Europa League-caliber players than we have now. At any rate, they and your 97/98 core should be a far sight more entertaining (and less maddening) to watch than what we saw this qualifying cycle. Hopefully results follow.

Even then, it will be the current crop of U13s, if my memory and math is right, that will truly tell the tale of how well the USSF youth mandate is working. That is the first group to start in the DA as U12 players AND is one of the earliest groups to play in single-year age brackets rather than the combined teams that are getting phased out. Not that I expect the US to be world-beaters with these kids---that will take probably at least one more generation---but it will be USSF's initiative fully fleshed out.

9. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah. Where can a guy watch the U17 WC matches as they air? I need some hope.

10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Sports 2, 10:20 am tomorrow et.

Winoman and DIMITAR BERBATOV! repped this.
  11. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Favorite forum by far, and has been for some time. It's fun watching the increased investment in youth initiatives pay dividends at the YNT level, which in turn bodes well for the future.

12. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    It's weird before we lost I always thought of myself as someone who cared more about YNTs anyways and that the senior team missing out on WC wouldn't bother me too mch, but now that it happened I'm kinda shocked.

KUSA77, Eighteen Alpha and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    In my perspective of USSF, execution is an issue across all departments.

14. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    I thought the players would be able to overcome poor coaching thru sheer will but now that it's happened it feels like it was inevitable. The damage will be unquantifiable, so many kids won't get exposed to the sport. Just hoping the short term damage won't be too bad and long term will be controlled by re examining our infrastructure etc. Following the YNT and how much progress is happening has taken the edge off of missing the WC and I'm ready for fresh faces

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    w
    I think the players just aren't very good.

Going forward for the next two years I'm hoping Miazga, Glad, Carter Vickers, McKennie, Gonzalez and Adams are in every squad since those positions killed us this year.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Damian Las ('02)
    Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez ('02)
    Joe Scally ('02)
    Axel Alejandro ('02)

And while we're at it, two 03's who's games I like

Moses Nyeman('03)-He is seriously good for a player his age. Gotta watch it to believe it.
    Dante Sealy ('03)

Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    No, they weren't

Nyeman and Sealy both are players I'm most hoping to see play this year. Sealy had 30 goals in 24 games last season, obviously not every game FCD plays is gonna be competitive but those are great numbers. I've only seen bits and pieces of Nyeman, really intelligent from what I can tell. Oscar Rincon is another name to watch, really exciting player

18. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes watching the U17s was a nice departure for the show in T&T. Of course that was part of the same group that destroyed Honduras and Panama at home. While the often country club environment of DA in terms of facilities has created a generation of much more technical players, it seems the downside has been the loss of grit found in the older generation the came up playing on cow pastures and fighting for recognition.

Baysider repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pre-U20 tournament bump!

20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, how much everything has changed since we were last posting in this thread 19 months ago. Who knew that by this time we would have so many legitimate prospects that we couldn’t even name them all?

Most of them are still a ways away from the senior team, and may or may not get there, but at least it’s not like it usedtawas when our only prospects were the few that came through Bradenton.