Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The worst thing that ever happened to Özil was EPL. That dude had career goals but his physique is just not made for making up to 70 games each season in a league where you need to run. He never should have left Spain.

But he left Real and suddenly they started winning titles. Instead, he went to Arsenal who under Wenger would play in a library stadium for the golden pineapple each year. After the WC win and not winning euro 2016 it was clear he would not win any meaningful trophy for the reminder of his career. What should the dude be motivated for? And it showed in the last two years first bottling his NT then club career. There is not any club of international significance that would take him now. Dont try to tell me Milan would be a place to go to. Italian league is a joke unless you play for Juventus. And it is also a thrasher league where there are droves of old Italian, Croatian and Romanian centerbacks and DMids just waiting to stomp on such a field pansy of a player.

You should accept that the dude will stay on your payroll until you can dump him off at some sheik country or sheik club or a retirement league like Turkey.

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    There will never be that evidence really. But as I said, I dont think ozil is the huge defensive liability that he is scapegoated for.

However, I do think that he could do more—effort and attitude wise. We’ve heard that every other player (even the somewhat ostracized Ramsey) has bought into emery’s plan.

I’m still hopeful that Emery will sort it out. Ozil also can afford to wait it out as he is in a strong position currently. However if Emery achieves CL footy largely without ozil, then power will shift. Whether you think he’s done well or just been lucky, either Emery has earned some trust or he should be given adequate rope to hang himself. We gave arsene years after it was fairly clear he wasn’t likely to take the club forward so why can’t we give his replacement a full season or two.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Counterpoint - Coquelin was a very effective ball winner.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh I forgot lil coq

He looked very good at points

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I confess I had high hopes for him. That win at Citeh years ago, the way he paired with Cazorla...

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I generally liked Coq. He had that steel that we've lacked so often. But he just was so damn inconsistent.

7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Coq only worked with Cazorla. Once we lost Cazorla, there was no point to Coq. He was way too limited.

Lucas Torreira is a ball-winner and a ball-player. So is Guendozi.

yossarian and Shen-O repped this.
  8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Yep. Cazorla made him look good, but Cazorla didn’t tackle for him and put him in the right positions to make all those interceptions. I think part of it was that AW changed tactic with him and asked things of him he wasn’t capable of—essential wanted him to be Xhaka with the ball.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Data suggests that Coquelin was about as good as Torreira as a ball player (though Coquelin was two years older and a fairly limited passer).

Seems like Torreira plays a little bit higher than Coquelin did, and that may make a difference though.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fcuk data

Torreira is much better moving the bell firward imo

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Look closely at the radars mebe posted, they show Coq with much higher final third ball entries.

12. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think Emery is the Spanish Allardyce because he tries to build from the back and he is far better than Moyes. The truth is our club has been in decline for a while now with personnel. Ozil and Sanchez were last gasp signings to tide things over but now that has backfired. We have two players making 550K a week in Mkhi and Ozil that are not playing/performing etc. Instead we are trying to win games with Iwobi and Douzy. I agree that our saving grace has been two elite forwards but rest of the team needs serious work.

And Ozil is one of the few players that has up until now played regularly without missing chunks of a season. He is not 25 anymore and the 30 year old Ozil is not being accommodated by a coach that is practical and has his own style of play.

13. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are asking way too much too soon from Torreira, Douzy and and Iwobi. It is almost unfair.

14. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a different team back then with the talent we had. Ozil, Ramsey and Cazorla together with proper wide options made those teams look pretty good...even with Sanogo leading the line occassionally.

Someone is going to now post Alex Song highlights to prove a point now.

Shen-O repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I chuckled when I read these two. It reminded me of the current state of the "dialogue" in our congress, in our country.

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Cazorla played a grand total of 23 league games in the two seasons profiled in the Coq radars and Emery has marginalized Ramsey and Ozil. Instead of saying Arsenal were a different team back then, it may be more to the point to say that Arsenal had a more offensive minded coach back then.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coq was not as good technically, if u remember watching him his passing was very poor and he couldn’t turn and receive and move it quicker

Maybe we were more open then? Giroud was an option up top as well for longer balls and we play down the lines now more

Xhaka makes a lot of the passes forward

But torreira imo has much better ability than coq. Especially with positioning and ball movement

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree that Torreira appears to be better positionally, but I don't think it's at all clear that he's better when it comes to ball movement. Both Torreira and Coquelin consistently choose the safe pass.

thebigman repped this.
  19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yup.

This is why most Arsenal fans wet dream of an Xhaka-free midfield is not functional because neither Torreira or Guendouzi are progressive passers. Our worst midfield performances are when it's just those two.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Doozy is only 19

I think he will be an exceptional passer within 5 years

But I agree that right now, he cannot run a game

thebigman repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Douzi looks like he could be elite. But he's not there yet.

Midfield really needs an elite dribbler who can carry and pass the ball forward. Douzi might be that player. IMO, Emery's system won't work without a player who can do that and at least one elite wide forward.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Its a shame that we can't see the Douzi of 2023 with 2019 Tor and 2016 vintage Ozil

That is the midfield we would have died a couple of years ago, like what we saw with Ozil & Kroos - except every player very mobile.

Sadly it kind of feels like we missed the boat by wasting those last 2 years with Wenger

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    mans a crab, im good.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009