Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should note that while Özil posing with erdogan was disappointing - I understand it
    (In light of Özil still having family in turkey )

Dfb can ******** themelves
    No one said anything and Mattheus
    Clear double standard

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I know some Greeks who would take issue.

... but I'll leave that for the Mavropanos thread.

cantona94 repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Starting a war of aggression is a war crime. Doesn't really matter that others in the Bush administration had influence: Bush was the President at the time and gave the orders in question.

Hasn't really been litigated, because the politics of a war crimes tribunal are such that it's really difficult to prosecute a war of aggression, but the Iraq War was fairly clear cut. Ditto for war crimes tribunals for torture.

Yes. That is the correct conclusion. Tony Blair also deserves to be in front of a war crimes tribunal.

Kudos to you for not forgetting Poland.

You need to surrender your law license. Whether Bush was a figurehead goof isn't really relevant: he gave the order to start a war that resulted in a million deaths. Him.

Erdogan is an authoritarian, sure (calling him a dictator is silly - he just won reelection with 53% of the vote). But he wasn't the but for cause of a million people dying.

DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This thread is off the chain

It just isn't the same. Of course it was shitty when American athletes endorsed W--but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a German athlete endorsing a Turkish leader, and going out of his way to do so.

There has been significant outcry over many athletes supporting Trump, and if any were to publicly boost AfD or Le Pen, I imagine the reaction would be similar. The whataboutism is real though.

When life comes at you fast

[​IMG]

Bush did all that shit. I seem to remember there were many "figurehead goofs" who stood trial at Nuremburg--who claimed they were just following orders or were a puppet to ulterior forces. I'm no lawyer, could you remind me what their legal outcome was?

5. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erdogan advanced the election himself
    Lol
    Are you not familiar with Turkish referendum on constitution in April 2017
    Man runs the country under the ruse of democracy
    If you think the Turkish election was impartial then you probably think Putin runs a clean show

6. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life comes at you fast? Lol ok I am not sure what that means
    I conceded the point
    The torture charges would have the best chance to succeed but it would have a hard time in court because i don’t think that it was a generally accepted policy by Government

In any event - it’s a silly point as no western leaders would ever see be charged in Hague

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Come on. This is starting to look like you have an axe to grind.

Accelerating the timeframe of elections is not at all unusual - it happens in a lot of countries.

Yeah, the constitutional changes in 2017 weren't great, but they did pass.

No evidence to suggest that the elections were rigged - no one rigs an election and keeps the margin THAT close (and also fails to have their own party secure a majority in parliament).

8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t have an axe to grind
    What separates bush and erdogan is the treatment of his own citizens

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Ozil story has now made it to p.5 of the NYTimes front section. Seems to me that some heads may roll because of this... a DFB bigwig? Or Hoeness?

10. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Maybe Grindel. But I'm not so sure.

Hoeness? Never. The guy spent 3 years in prison for tax fraud - and he said far more outrageous/racist stuff in the past.

Rummenigge is more liberal and open to things outside Germany than Hoeness- and a little bit less criminal.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Grindel should go.

There will be a lot of pressure on this autumn if Loew fails again.

Hoeness is part of the Bayern dignitary - nothing will force him out

12. Kanuuuu

Kanuuuu Member

Apr 2, 2003
    US
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not wading into most of this debate, but please read more about Turkey before saying elections were impartial. Total media control, jailing of journalists, firing of countless civil servants, and credible accusations of cheating on votes. We don't need to compare Bush and Erdogan to know that both have done some really bad things and that Erdogan is on the precipice of authoritarianism (if not further along).

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/06/21/turkeys-president-deserves-to-lose-on-june-24th

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...le-to-be-heard-in-turkeys-media-idUSKBN1JG23Z

cantona94 and NorthBank repped this.
  13. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Erdogan is a bad hombre. Refusal of Ozil and others to acknowledge this isn't a good look.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA just staged a World Cup in Russia and we heard nary a word about this.

If people really cared about “bad hombres,” this tournament never happen.

cantona94, Fifty, banco and 3 others repped this.
  15. Kanuuuu

Kanuuuu Member

Apr 2, 2003
    US
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That doesn't make it good.

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shows why World Cups shouldn't be given to rogue states

It provides legitimacy for bad actors

cantona94 and Kanuuuu repped this.
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I never said it does.

All I am saying is keep the same energy. Most people don't, including those in Germany who cheeringly sent Germany to the Russia World Cup.

Super Llama repped this.
  18. Kanuuuu

Kanuuuu Member

Apr 2, 2003
    US
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. Let's push people to have standards on both.

19. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    I was in Istanbul at that time. I worked and lived there for 2 years. When the results came out, I stood on my balcony and all the neighbours made noise by banging pots and pans as a sign of protest. Istanbul is very liberal, but some German-Turks who lived there for 10 to 20 years told me that the situation is getting worse year-by-year, basic freedoms are restricted and more and more women in headscarfs are appearing in the streets.

It made me a little bit angry to see the election results in German (and Austria/Netherlands) where basically 70% of the Turkish voters voted in favor of Erdogan. IMO, the situation in Turkey will get worse in the coming years. Erdogan`s mixture of ultranationalism and Islamism is very effective. I really like Özil as a player and I was always thankful for him to play for Germany as he had to deal with a lot of abuse from Turkish nationalists who called him a traitor and I also hate the way the DFB has dealt with it and some racist parts in the media and fans - but endorsing Erdogan is a little bit too much for me.

NorthBank and Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  20. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Generally speaking, there weren`t as many German fans going to Russia, because of the bad press Russia received in recent years.

IMO you go to such places, but don`t show any support for local politicians and just do your job. Yes, it is a propaganda tool and it helps to boost Putin`s image, but the main culprits are FIFA. Even in 1936 it was possible to keep some distance to the hosts by telling your sportsmen not to show the Nazi salute,etc. And Russia or Qatar - as bad as those places might be - are not as bad as Berlin 1936.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  21. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good insight
    Although I do not know the whole story behind Ozil posing for photo with erdogan - I suspect that it was not necessarily an endorsement but a mere meet and greet . He might have legit concerns that saying no to erdogan might have negative implications for his family.
    Ie. enes kanter
    Pure speculation on my part

Emperor_Norton repped this.
  22. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fifa doesn’t give a shit about humanitarian issues
    c.r.e.a.m.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Russia then Qatar

What’s next? Burma or Syria ?

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA actually.

Maybe there's a pattern emerging?

Maybe Murica will have been made great again, the same way Putin did in Russia?

25. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fewer people are tortured and executed by the state in both of those countries than one of the actual co-hosts :unsure:

I've kinda gotten over what countries host what events because there aren't any good countries that want to host them anyways--and arguably no good events or associations lol. It does suck, however, when the implementation of an event can't happen in a country without the direct use of slavery

cantona94, mebeSajid, thebigman and 2 others repped this.