Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ö - alt + 148 Ö - alt + 0214

Super Llama and mebeSajid repped this.
  2. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Welcome big time to Mesut! Özil has long been one of my most admired and "loved" players who is not an Arsenal player, and so it is amazing for us to get him. I honestly never saw us being able to attract a player like him where we are right now, and it is so amazing to have pulled this off. Between the amazing game experience yesterday, and this awesome transfer day I am over the moon, and I can't wait to see those amazing passes coming from Mesut cutting open EPL defenses ... Come On You GÖÖners!!

Crisstti and Excellency repped this.
  3. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congrats to you guys, the signing is a real coup, and he will be a great player for you.

Totally pissed that United didnt get him, but we seem hell bent on moving into the transfer space you just vacated.

charlie15 repped this.
  4. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Shout out to all the Real fans talking shit.

5. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #55 Rojinegro1, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    How great is it that these pictures exist?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Anyone else thinks the "O" looks a bit off? Also they should have put the umlaut in, hope they fix that.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who are you? And what have you done with anti?

charlie15 repped this.
  7. doyouevenlift?

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I can't believe Uncle flo went full retard and sold Mesut. Just make sure you guys do 2 things. Make sure you keep Tottenham out of the top 4 and never sell Mesut to Barca, thanks :)

8. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Still just in total shock by this. I was pretty much sure AW wasn't going to do shit...was just gonna find a cheap CB and call it day or something. Didn't think Kroenke had this in him.

9. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Velkommen!

10. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, Perez is quite the idiot...I think if I look at this objectively which is hard since Ozil is my personal favorite, I would say that he "didn't fit Ancellotti's system." Which is quite idiotic, but what are you going to do. I think he is attempting to play a 4-3-3 with Isco in the middle over Ozil, since Isco has an engine on him and will defend. But whatever, this is an Arsenal board so i won't spoil it with talk of Madrid.

Regarding Ozil he is pure world class. Watching him over these years he only has 2 weaknesses that I can see, one of them glaring and the other nit picky. The glaring weakness is he is like Roger Federer in tennis. I once saw federer give an interview, and his left arm was like a twig while his right arm was that of an NFL linebacker. This is due to how much he uses that right arm of his. Ozil reminds me of Federer, in that he has the sweetest left foot, but he does absolutely everything with it. With Ronaldo you would be hard pressed to tell if he is left or right footed, he is exactly the same with either foot. With Ozil he is incredibly weak with his right, he can't take a shot with it. The 2nd nit picky negative is that he sometimes disappears after people go in hard on him. Against Dortmund, a German club with players that know him well, he got some big kicks to start off the match, which made him go into his shell a bit.

All that said, I think Ozil makes Arsenal a title contender this year. I know people probably think this is too much, but i sincerely believe it. You may not have the quality to win the CL, but the EPL is up for grabs. Your team wasn't too bad to begin with if you hadn't noticed, and now you have a maestro in the middle to lead your attack. I'm the newest fake Arsenal fan (rooting for your club just for Ozil), lol.

thedude83, charlie15 and Twiggy repped this.
  11. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I wonder if van Persie is scratching his head right now.

12. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Great buy it's gonna be exciting!

13. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    With what we have right now, if somehow we had RVP and United didn't, I think we're looking at 1st in the League and United is looking at 6th. Que sera sera....

14. SRQuake

SRQuake Member

Jul 26, 2013
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umlaut on jersey or no money. I will be getting the away jersey since Arsenal spent. But I need that Umlaut. Must say that many will think I am crazy for this. But we can win the PL assuming certain ppl dont get injured. But with Ozil the sky is the limit

15. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what is our best looking formation with ozil in the line up?

16. DadoIsNumeroUno

DadoIsNumeroUno Member+

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

best attacking mid in the world imo, and for quite some time now and will continue to be so

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    U are looking at 6th as it is, if you ask me. I dont think their players can play Moyes' type of football they way they played for SAF. Mourinho looks up for the task at this stage, if you ask me. We have a wonderful side with a few flaws that Wenger just doesnt seem able to address. I rank us 2nd or 3rd with the caveat that we just arent deep like our competitors.

In retrospect, with the window now closed, if there is one player I regret not going after it is Schurrle.

Happy to have Ozil - 11 is my lucky number!

18. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Who needs another striker? Ozil will make Sanogo, let alone Podolski, look top-class.

19. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Giroud
    Santi, Ozil, Theo
    Ramsey, Arteta
    Gibbs, Larry, BFG, Jenks

Yes, it's Corporal's time to shine

20. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    At this point I think we're at least even money to finish ahead of Chelsea and/or United. United are going to do better than 6th because they're going to win a decent number of games legitimately and RVP is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat for a few others like he did for us. I'm not as bullish as you are regarding Mourinho 2.0 Chelsea. They've got Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Schurrle, and Luiz on the squad and Mourinho is still trying to park the bus against Sunderland or whoever. I think Mourinho's name is papering over a lot of crap going on over there.

21. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really special player.
    It also [hopefully] means we no longer have to settle for a certain shit corner taker :D

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #72 pookspur, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    ozil is class. this is an unreservedly brilliant signing. i hate you all.

23. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    fantastic. proud day.

24. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Think you're missing a player - I only see Giroud, Santi, Ozil, Theo, Arteta, Gibbs, Larry, BFG, and Jenks. :D

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the line up with the exception of Jenks. No way he is starting over Bakary.
    Sagna seems to have gotten some of his spring back and I am genuinely happy he is still at AFC.
    By the way, you are missing a keeper...Sczc will be the one (for now).