Welcome Marco Asensio

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by halamadrid00, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Same here. He is 22. We shouldn't have put so much pressure on him. Not everyone is an Mbappé and a mental beast at 19 years.

He will succeed.

2. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The quality of passing the ball back every time when hes slightly under pressure really does shine through regularly. He's a utility player with a nice shot (that comes useful once in a blue moon). Sell while his value is still high before he gets exposed and reinvest.

3. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    He can't have his cake and eat it.

If we lessen his minutes he complains. When we increase them and put demands on him, now there is too much pressure.

Meh

Doni, Digital, robnycus and 1 other person repped this.
  4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then again you're the guy who thought Balotelli was made for big time, so allow me to trust my own judgment of talent instead of yours.

He's got good pace, reads the game very well and can finish in multiple ways. He's not flashy but he's shown he can do a whole lot.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  5. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    lol aren't you tired of bringing up Balotelli every time there is an argument going on?

Back to Asensio, his pace is indeed good, but not great. Doesn't really stand out in that aspect. Can finish, sure, even though he doesn't find himself in a position to do so often enough. In fact the reason for this is exactly because he doesn't read the game well. That is where your assessment is dead wrong. He moves a lot but he doesn't move smart. Can't think one step ahead. Doesn't react to defenses mistakes. Doesn't make space for others. His vision and teamwork is average at best.

As I said, he's a good depth player to have, but at the price he could probably be sold right now, we're better off selling him. He's not getting better than this. He's had enough experience, changed enough coaches and positions and lack of maturity is not stopping him.

6. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Maybe, if we weren't reminded of him by your avatar, every time you post.

-Reivax-, rhexis07, Umar and 3 others repped this.
  7. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    he has talent, but I think he is utilized wrong and he needs a proper mentor as a coach.

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The guy was fire when the team was doing well, and he's not at the point of his career where he'll turn around an entire team doing bad. He doesn't look very confident but after terrible 20 something minutes he found his feet and had a very very good second half. Really tone deaf by Solari to sub him, he was almost on the scorers table which would have given him a break at least.

9. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Its a pleasure;)

S1na repped this.
  10. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely disagree with this , unfortunately for Marco, I think his best position is one that we, as a team, don’t utilize, unless maybe he is played as a second striker, I think his best position is just behind the striker/ strikers, in the middle of the park, that’s where he can best display his teamwork and his vision which I actually think he has tons of and it’s where he made his mark at Espanyol, to continue to play him out wide is to waste his abilities, mind you I do think he needs to step up his game, but continuously playing him on the wings won’t help him IMO.

Doni, HZinho and Zidane05 repped this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As a #10?

12. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Right, its the position. As if he hasnt been played in every position and hasnt been average under a bunch of coaches. Hes good on the counter, like anyone with a bit of pace and shooting. But he doesn't have the brain to unlock defenses, use space wisely or make space for others. When in tight spaces Asensio just runs back with the ball or passes it back. He would be even worse in the middle. If you think his vision and teamwork is good, then you don't know the meaning of the concepts.

13. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, I think he’s better as a 10 than as a winger, he does not have the ability to get past his marker out wide on a regular basis, if he doesn’t get the ball out wide in behind his marker he turns back more often than not, as has been noted, I don’t find he’s effective out wide at all.

I have seen him pick passes in tight spaces to set up strikers from the middle of the park more than once he has that vision, and again, it’s where he excelled and what brought him to more prominence at Espanyol, it’s what made the club take notice of him and bring him back I imagine, Marco has to up his game, he is lacking in confidence right now and not playing his best IMO, but I really think he is wasted out wide.

Of course I don’t, you are the expert

14. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Asensio has everything you claim he doesnt, the only thing you're right on is the pace thing.
    I'll also agree that he is indeed guilty of negative play at times but only when played on the left where he is reduced to drive the ball down the line and crossing it to usually no one. When he cuts from the right or drives through the middle you see that he indeed has a very good eye for through ball, this is more apparent with Spain than Madrid though since the former actually have strikers who make hurtful runs in the box.

Halycon repped this.
  15. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is there a single player thread in which we are not trashing the player?

Chinky24 repped this.
  16. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Modric's i guess

Lyra and J-Mezzy repped this.
  17. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nah, Llorente

Eddie and J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I highly doubt Asensio will evolve into a world class #10. He lacks the football intelligence to suceed in that role.
    Happy to be proven wrong though.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  19. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Good job bashing a 22 year old worldclass talent that doesn't bring what he should bring in a team that has written crisis all over its image.

20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Can't bash a player who we all know is only here because of his uncle.

Chinky24, Eddie and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  21. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Correct

22. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No player has played more games (54) for Real Madrid than Marco Asensio in 2018.

Not even Benzema -53

23. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Twice the player when playing on the right or centrally, playing him on the left is such a dumb move.

24. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think that's the big issue. Feel like he needs to play with more fire and immediacy. We need him to be a difference maker. He was taking way more risks today (even using his right foot when breaking to the endline) instead of just passing and moving.

Eddie and J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    That’s an element but the major issue is what the poster above highlighted, he is very limited on the left, I have called this many times as someone who watched him at Mallorca, Espnayol and with Spain he is much better cutting in than driving the ball to the line and crossing it, he is simply not that type of player.

Excape Goat and Halycon repped this.