News: Welcome Brek: Potter (Brek Shea at Stoke/ On loan to Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomásbernal, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope this is true. Now, I'll have another yank to cheer for when I'm watching Stoke City play.:thumbsup:

2. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamooky repped this.
  3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have watched a lot of potters football this year and cannot grasp how anybody thinks this is a bad idea for anybody. brek, the potters, nat fans and even FCd since there seems to be some issue there

Stoke is shit in the final third. Brek can at least run and he has some skills I mean how much worse could he do than what they have been doing with ether and kightly? They could hit the lotto if he returns to form,and if not he is still servicable enough Stoke can get value.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how rocky Breks/SH's relationship is, I'm not sure I'd want a pissed off Brek returning to the team next year if they reject the bid. Hopefully this is just negotiations to get a bit more out of Stoke.

5. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD just wants more money apparently.

Though, in FIFA 12 FCD would not sell Shea to me because they didn't have enough players at the position...for 3 years.

6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool, Aston Villa, and Tottenham - some of the time - play with about as many long balls as Stoke. Liverpool don't cross as much. Tottenham cross too much. Villa are pretty similar. I'm also counting 40 yards balls on the ground or shoulder height as "long". Stoke is not nearly as bad as indicated here. They play a pretty tactical defensive lineup, won't gamble in a lineup selection, and aren't afraid to make a hard tackle.

In fact, I would say they are one of the best tactical teams in the EPL. The defensive organization is something West Ham, Aston Villa, and QPR wish they had. They are consistently one of the hardest teams to break down. Their wing play isn't too bad and Etherington has been amazing to watch in recent years. He's had near full field runs that result in goals or assists.

Brek Shea should count himself as lucky based on the last few times I've seen the guy play.

stonejh127 and Sergei_Shtaniuk repped this.
  7. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lol, Cameron transfer part 2. MLS squabbling w\Stoke over a few hundred thousand at the last minute.

8. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Apologies, but I dont understand the system. How much do Houston/Dallas get for the transfer of these players? Is it their decision or MLS' whether they accept our bid?

It all seems completely alien to a European

9. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Not as odd as his personality lol. Here's a couple of videos of him playing: he has an effortless shot that generates a lot of power, it's evident especially in the 2nd video. If you get 2011 Shea, you got a steal.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has the final say, whether or not FCD/Stoke agree initially. With Cameron, Hou/Stoke agreed, but then MLS held it up and squeezed Stoke for more money, which ultimately worked out. My guess is that's what is happening here.

As far as what does FCD vs MLS get. FCD gets 2/3 of the transfer fee while MLS gets 1/3. But, due to the salary cap system, FCD can't turn around and spend 2/3 of say, 3.5M on replacements unless it's a single DP and doesn't count towards the cap. They can't go out and spend 250K on four different players with that money. Usually a team gets 600K in allocation money.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Stoke should not give up on this one. Brek doesnt suit the style of play of the FCD forwards (Samerican style).
    FCDallas have to decide if they want to be a losing team with a poster boy Brek Shea selling tickets or sell Brek and get some players in more suited to the style of the team and start winning some games

12. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Fwiw I see Pulis as being one of the better tacticians in the EPL. It may not be as pretty, but the guy has carved a niche in the EPL with talent that should have been relegated awhile ago. Now for Brek, I have no doubt that there's more skill on Stoke than FCD. At times last year it was just dreadful to watch Dallas play. For the majority of last year, Dallas did exactly what people are criticizing Stoke of, they just didn't do it as well. Definitely see this as an upward move for Brek.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dallas is probably looking at bringing in a DP to replace Ferreira who is aging and is the guy who makes the team go on offense. It would make sense to sell Shea for that purpose, I believe. Ferreira was still cutting it last year when he came back mid season from injury but who knows for how long?

14. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Shea gets over that foot injury and returns to his 2011 form, at 3.5 mil Stoke got one hell of a deal! Didn't Schalke offer around 7 mil in 2011 for him??

15. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did, then FCD is moronic, but I can't remember this being confirmed as true though... Americans aren't going to fetch an evaluation much higher than 7 million and that's not going to change for awhile. I am going to echo the optimists here and hope this motivates Brek back on the path of being a great football player!

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at least 5M. If FCD thinks bringing back a pissed off Brek who doesn't get along with his coach will somehow increase his value beyond the 3.5M bid reported, I think they're making a mistake.

17. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly it was 5 mil.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There's no way that Shea goes for $3 million. He has a lot more pedigree than Cameron had when he went for 2.7 million. He should be a lot closer to $5 million.

stonejh127 repped this.
  20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in 2011 maybe, before form dipped.

21. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ok.

22. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2012 season he basically played a full year with a undiagnosed broke bone in his foot, moreover on a floundering FC Dallas team.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, not his fault, was injured. But clubs take that into consideration and Stoke would probably bid low and work their way up if need be. I do agree that 5-7 mil would be MLS' asking price after that great season he had.

24. smscy

smscy New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't agree with this at all, GC was consistently one of the best defenders in MLS. Brek may have more raw talent but is way less of a finished product. People don't pay for pedigree they pay for what a player can do for them now.

INKRO repped this.
  25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They pay for forwards, not defenders. :rolleyes:

stonejh127 repped this.