Welcome Aboard XS-23

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Shaq deal done. official. 13.5mill. very good business. he takes shirt number 23.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/307047-shaqiri-liverpool-fc-signing-jurgen-klopp

Shaqiri won the Champions League with Bayern in 2013, and Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said: "I think the English phrase to explain the decision to sign Xherdan is a 'no-brainer'.

"I know him well from his time in Switzerland and especially Germany - I have been a long-time admirer. But the added bonus now is that he knows the Premier League and what it takes to perform in this uniquely intense environment.

"He has speed and ability, has the right amount of arrogance on the football pitch, real bravery to want the ball and influence things.

"He is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system."

Suss repped this.
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dont like this move. As a backup he is acceptable but too inconsistent for winning something. That is why Bauern kicked him out.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well he is a backup isn't he. he won't start games ahead of Mane or Mo.

and will be a great starter for FA Cup & League Cup games.

B.A. repped this.
  4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Given his complicated personality I dont think he thinks he is a backup. Maybe Klopp can fix this

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like the move. He’s a really good player at a reasonable price. We can insert him into he the lineup without seeing a major dip in quality. We had nobody like that last season.

Shaquiri can raise his game to another level playing with other quality players. He’s good from set pieces and can score from long range. That is something we lacked since Coutinho left.

Since Shaquiri mostly plays on the right wing, I think we will see more of Mo Salah as a center forward this season.

newterp, delandis, speker and 2 others repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he doesn't know he's a backup/1st choice sub, that is a problem. But perhaps not a major one.

Either way, it's easily worth the risk and considering the price they might still be able to negotiate the fee for Fekir down and make that happen too. Last I heard that wasn't dead -- and if they pulled that off, bringing in Naby, Fabinho, Fekir, and Shaqiri in one window, that is pretty fantastic business on paper.

Next big buy would obviously be a keeper, maybe next summer.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    do you really think he or his agent wouldn't have - y'know - mentioned that? :rolleyes:

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He went to Bauern and then wondered why he didnt start instead of Ribery and this Robben guy.

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He’s only a backup if you’re listing our first eleven for one match. With the amount of games we will play and inevitable injuries, I’m sure Shaquiri will be on the field plenty.

Every summer we worry about how we have too many players. By the new year it is always clear that we don’t have enough players, and by the end of May we are wondering if we will even be able to field a bench for the Champions League final. You can never have too many quality players.

10. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Shaquiri is indeed a no brainer at 13 mill. He adds better quality to the depth of the squad than we have right now at very little cost.

11. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    A good move imo. Welcome Xherdan! Stand up and take a bow!

oops....ermmm, sorry Xherdan.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    now now. :) LOL.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Shaq's 4cm shorter than Keegan. Keegan soon got the nickname Mighty Mouse. mighty he was.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was 21

Wingtips1 repped this.
  15. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll get plenty of playing time. Klopp wants to rotate player so everybody's fresh at the end of the year. Off the bench we had no difference makers. Now we bring him or that rarest of birds, a healthy Sturridge.

16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ...and we'll get the Ox back sometime round the turn of the year...(maybe???)

17. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Hopefully he’s grown up—er, matured—a bit.

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha

19. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not often that I agree with you but here you're absolutely correct. Shaq should not be anywhere near a top 2 club. Surprising that Klopp did this.

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  20. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screenshot_2018-07-13 Superraton - Mighty Mouse - Wikipedia.png

Am I the only one who sees it?

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would too.

By the way, in terms of quality, I didn’t think Ixlade-Chamberlain and Salah were good enough either.

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I knew Salah was good. I knew Oxlaide could -only could- turn out another of those Blazsikowski, Piszek or Schmelzer moves where Klopp buys a cheap Laufwunder (running wonder) changing the position, make him sir run-a-lot and suddenly the player turns out decent. I didnt quite believe it but I thought it was possible. The difference is Ox has character which is a trait I dont see in Shaqiri. Shaqiri is a fairweather player who disappears when things dont go your way. He also is not the nice locker room guy who will accept not playing that often. 13.5 mil is pocket money of course, I dont mind it. But I mind the negative effect he could have on the team chemistry

23. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Ribery and robben were arguably the best wide players around at the time

XS brings quality into the team and bench, a player that can change a game and produce something special on occasions.....there are many games next season and its a very prudent signing at the price

(XS his initials and does not signify 'extra small')

Suss repped this.
  24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator