Weird News Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From last summer. . .

flowergirl repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Never mind slicing it in squares like a Sicilian pie. I just hope that's not from an actual dining establishment that charges people. Looks more like a 7th grader's first try in Home Ec.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

That's what St. louis pizza looks like. As to the taste, remember the last time you got pizza to go? Imagine eating the box.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The regional variations can be scary. In NH I had one with cheddar mixed with the muzz. Weird shit.

chaski repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are a lot of places around me that have great pizza. The "official" regional pizzas are not among them. American cheese? Really, Old Forge, Really?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work with a bunch of people from St. Louis who were in town last week. They have beef with all things Chicago, and someone made a crack about their pizza. I remember St. Louis pizza coming up in conversation here in the past and regardless of your perspective, I think almost everyone agreed that it was the worst on the planet, and maybe some other planets as well.

Don't remember the details, but don't they use some sort of artificial cheese-food on it? Cheddar might be a bit wee-id, but at least it's real cheese...

xtomx repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    @usscouse doesn't happen to be traveling is he? :whistling:

usscouse repped this.
  11. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    As long as you avoid Pizza by Alfredo.

roby and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's bad. It's like eating a hot circle of garbage.

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Provel has a low melting point, and therefore has a gooey and almost buttery texture at room temperature. :eek:

xtomx repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know!

The trademark on the Provel name, first used in 1947, is currently held by the Churny Company, Inc. of Glenview, Illinois. Churny is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Kraft Foods.​

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Provo (Turks and Caicos), on a kayak eco-tour. We happened on a turtle in the water and one of the kayakers rowed over and picked it up out of the water. I had already heard his Jersey/Na Yawk accent.

In another case, in Galapagos, we were visiting a tortoise sanctuary and saw one group of Americans (later heard them speak) walk right up to multiple tortoises while the guide just stood back and looked uncomfortable each time. Our guide told us that some people don't respect the distance, and it was not exclusive to Americans.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a friend in college who worked as a tour guide at a national park during the summers. One day they were driving to the next point of interest and she had finished her spiel for that portion of the trip, she asked for questions and one of the tourists asked her, "Why don't you mow the grass and clear out some of the brushes between the trees? The forest would look much prettier if it was well kept and clean."

Auriaprottu, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have to take a test in order to get a passport. I remember many years ago I was in the Milan train station. Some overweight slob in sneakers, white socks about 3/4 up to his knees, shorts, a T-shirt and a baseball cap came up to me and said, "Where kin ah git me sump'n t'eat?"

I looked at him blankly for a second. Then he said, "Oh yew cain't even speak English, cain yew?" At that point I mustered up a generic "foreign" accent and said, Yis. A leetell beet." He repeated his first statement, only a little louder and pointing at his wide-open trap. In a tone that would make my imaginary English teacher proud, I clearly enunciated every word and said, "There are minny restaurant near-bah." He was all, "No, where can I git a hamburger or sump'n lahk that?" There was a friggin Wendy's less than 100 feet away. You could even smell it in the air.

I hope the bastard starved to death.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Fuggedaboutit! He was just checkin if da turtle knew his cousin Carmine in da Turtleshell Makers union.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    and every one who takes the test should pass it and get a passport. Some who have low scores should find that their citizenship has been revoked while they were out of the country and they can't come back.

fatbastard and soccernutter repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, the President of Finland "told" Trump we should rake the forests to prevent forest fires, so maybe this tourist was on to something. Or not!

“I was with the president of Finland and he said: ‘We have, much different, we are a forest nation.’ He called it a forest nation. And they spend a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don’t have any problem.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/19/make-america-rake-again-finland-trump-forest-fire

chaski and Yoshou repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the Karma Department,

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/07/7108...lephant-eaten-by-pride-of-lions-in-south-afri

Rhino poacher killed by an elephant and eaten by some lions

A suspected rhino poacher was killed by an elephant and his remains likely eaten by a pride of lions, park officials in South Africa said.

Kruger National Park rangers received a call last week from the family of the suspected poacher, the park said in a statement issued Friday. According to the family, accomplices of their relative said he was killed by an elephant on Tuesday, while they were in the park to poach rhinos.

The elephant attacked "suddenly," police Brig. Leonard Hlathi told South African news website TimesLive. Hlathi said the man's accomplices claimed to have carried his body to a road before leaving the park.

Rangers began search efforts to find the man's remains and bring the family closure but could not locate a body.

"Indications found at the scene suggested that a pride of lions had devoured the remains leaving only a human skull and a pair of pants," the statement reads. The remains were found in the Crocodile Bridge section of the park.

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    They were Hilfiger jeans though so he went out in style. They go on sale next week. :oops:

upload_2019-4-7_18-17-54.jpeg

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I was showing my Kiwi daughter around Stonehenge one morning. As we got back to the carpark there was a group of Americans getting on to their minibus with one woman in a fur coat and southern accent complaining that she'd gotten out of a warm bed to see a pile of rocks.

I noticed she sat alone.

raza_rebel, xtomx and roby repped this.