Weird News Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Moishe repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    One of the tribespeople – “a kid probably about 10 or so years old, maybe a teenager” – fired an arrow that struck his Bible, he wrote that night, onboard the boat of fishermen he paid 25,000 rupees (£275) to smuggle him close to the island. “Well, I’ve been shot by the Sentinelese.”

The next day as he prepared to make another approach, Chau wrote a letter to his parents. “You guys might think I’m crazy in all this, but I think it’s worth it to declare Jesus to these people,” he wrote.

I see your Jesus and raise you one dozen arrows to your midsection.

Google the Sentinelese. It's really fascinating that they exist in the 21st century.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So according to these scientists 9 of 10 species are descended from one couple

Scientists surveyed the genetic 'bar codes' of five million animals - including humans - from 100,000 different species and deduced that we sprang from a single pair of adults after a catastrophic event almost wiped out the human race.

These bar codes, or snippets of DNA that reside outside the nuclei of living cells, suggest that it's not just people who came from a single pair of beings, but nine out of every 10 animal species, too

Stoeckle and Thaler, the scientists who headed the study, concluded that ninety percent of all animal species alive today come from parents that all began giving birth at roughly the same time, less than 250 thousand years ago - throwing into doubt the patterns of human evolution.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...YkaB_BOaEcm4VMw2SQtMIV_4cqlr_U4hciczPsjNMXCJI

4. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The students in the Ag school at my university pitted drunk pigs against bulls twice a year as a fundraiser. Then the ********ing PC Thought Police came along and ended that tradition.

Or maybe it was the state police. I can't remember.

roby, Dyvel and stanger repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    of course that happened in Australia, where neither the feral pigs nor half the population requires 18 beers to behave like that.

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is one of your college pics, then?

[​IMG]

Dyvel and song219 repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Why?

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No. I said ag school. Bear baiting was how the Tri-Delts raised money.

bigredfutbol and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irish soccer team in trouble after faking the death of one of its players. But they apologized so it's okay now, apparently. League officials said "We were told he was flown back to Spain on the Saturday. Straight away, that rang alarm bells for us. How would you die early on Friday morning and be flown back to Spain on the Saturday?" That's some class-A investigation right there.

Dyvel repped this.
  11. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    And Carlsen retains the Chess world title. Crushes Fabi 3-0 in the Rapid playoff.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Koreans are getting as weird as the Japanese now.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-escape-prison-of-daily-life-idUSKCN1NS0JB

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is not that weird, I think is funny in a sad way.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In the "Who is the Biggest Asshole" competition in this story, it is actually a damn hard call. Normally, a priest acting in this way has it in the bag, but the coach gives him a run for the money.

"We’ve had four boys who played for him. He’s been bullying kids for many years," Jeff Hullibarger said. His wife said she messaged through an intermediary that Wood was not welcome at the service.

"We knew Maison would not want him at his funeral. He did not treat Maison kindly. So it was our wish that he would not be there," she said.

The coach strode in anyway, prompting one of the couple's sons to demand that he leave, they said. Wood left but soon posted this on social media:

“I was just asked to leave a funeral by a family member of a deceased football player. If you need someone to blame, I’m your man, I’m your fall guy. This is how society is when things go not as planned. We blame others for our own shortcomings. This tragedy is not about me or you. It’s about looking in the mirror as a human being and being real and honest with yourself.”

Regardless, that's seriously ********ed up.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bet you a dime to a dollar that coach is a Trump supporter. Those who pound their chest about the importance of personal responsibility are least likely to do so, and most likely to adore the Blame Everybody President..

fatbastard, Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd similarly bet that the priest is not down with the social teachings of the Church, esp. the ones that Francis is re-emphasizing.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that wouldn't be his type of Church.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The shittiness has always been around but the current political climate has given people the perceived freedom to flaunt their shittiness.

Auriaprottu, Dr. Wankler and ToMhIlL repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In fairness, coaches tend to be like that. My kid played 10 years of club soccer. About half the coaches would carry on about how they are moral leaders and so forth. When you hear that, put your hand on your wallet and back out of the room. Then tell your child that whenever the coach talks about something besides soccer, stop listening to him.

21. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My kid played 12 years... I say stop listening especially when they are talking about soccer.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a coworker who coaches U15 travel and he's definitely the type of dude I wouldn't want my kids to play for. A manipulative, never-satisfied J.O.

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is about the coach in youth soccer. My daughter had complete crap coaching until u13. After the last game together, 5 years, countless miles and trophies, they all just sat together on the sideline, none of them wanting it to end.

The last thing the coach said to them was if at anytime in their life they needed anything, bail, a ride, someone to talk to, whatever, call him.

He meant it. And they knew it.

Ismitje and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bail? I thought this was girls soccer not the NFL :D

KCFutbol, roby, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They're expected and asked to be like that.

Quick example of a discussion had a couple years ago with a FB friend about the new HS in my old neighborhood (New building. Same colors and mascot, but new name, thus not my Alma), and the hoops coach they hired a year earlier, who won state titles in my school's last two seasons. My HS, which was fine when I attended, was failing, so the board decided to rename it to get it off the failing list. It's back on the list now with the new name.

This woman wanted to know why a (very good and younger) Black coach was transferred to allow this guy to take the job. I told her dude had won eight titles at two different schools, and so was the better choice, aaannnd that as a guy who'd retired once, he was probably saving the system $$ by taking only a coach's stipend. Then she wanted to ask what he was going to do to help with the kids if he wasn't there from 8 to 3. I told her that wasn't his job. I can name thirty or forty teachers who never went out into the hall to make students go to class, who never asked me whether I was attending class or doing well in them- including my band director. Those days, I would have asked --politely-- why they needed to know. The battle's already lost when a student can't listen to a school's academic employees.