PBP: Weeks 1-4: v Sassuolo (8/21), @Inter (8/28), v Napoli (9/11) and @Crotone (9/18)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    #1 Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    New multiple result format for the threads this season, since a lot of the gameday threads only got a couple of posts anyways.

First up against Sassuolo tomorrow. 2:45 EDT. As far as I know, no TV for this one in the US.

24 players called up
    PORTIERI: Fulignati, Marson, Posavec.
    DIFENSORI: Aleesami, Andelkovic, Cionek, Giuliano, Goldaniga, Gonzalez, Pezzella, Rajkovic, Rispoli, Vitiello.
    CENTROCAMPISTI: Chochev, Gazzi, Hiljemark, Jajalo, Quaison.
    ATTACCANTI: Balogh, Bentivegna, Embalo, Lo Faso, Nestorovski, Sallai.

Trajkovski is a no go with injury, as is Morganella. No idea where Lazaar is. Rajkovic was also meant to be a doubt for this game, wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play. Struna not called up, presumably because I think he's about to leave the club.

My guess for a starting lineup

Posavec
    Goldaniga-Vitiello-Andelkovic
    Aleesami-Gazzi-Chochev-Rispli
    Embalo-Nestorovski-Balogh

Outside starting chances for Quaison, Hiljemark, and Bentivegna. I suppose Gonzalez as well, but my guess is he has already been bubblewrapped up for his impending sale

----------

Surprisingly, no familiar faces on the Sassuolo side as far as I recognize. Co-leading goal scorers Defrel and Berardi return, but Sansone who tied them with 7 has left in the offseason.

Their season has started out with a 0-1 loss to Celta Viga and a 3-2 win over Milan in the Trofeo TIM, an odd preseason tournament held in Italy, along with early blowout wins against a bunch of nobodies, including a 14-0 against FC Neumarkt-Egna, an amateur team from far enough north in Italy that over 60% of the city's inhabitants give German as their first language.

They have also been making a run in the Europa league, with a 4-1 aggregate win over Luzern in the qualifying round (3-0 at home) and a 3-0 first leg victory over Red Sat Belgrade at home on Thursday. Berardi and Defrel have 2 goals a piece in that tournament already.

Good news is, Palermo should be much fresher than them tomorrow.

-----------

Last season's results were a 0-1 loss towards the start of the season and 2-2 draw away from home in February. The year before saw a 2-1 win at home in December and a 0-0 draw at the tail end of the season.

-----------

My prediction for tomorrow 1-1 draw. Ever an optimist, but I don't see us winning this. I also don't see a clean sheet. I just hope for a goal.

2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, going out on a limb here and guessing we'll end up 0-2 to start the season...

3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I predict 0-3 and a new manager.

Sounds like they actually played ok against Sassuolo, just had the misfortune of a very early PK. Rajkovic got a red card (2 yellows) towards the end and won't be available against Inter, which will hurt. Meanwhile Embalo's agent came out after the game talking about how obviously the club doesn't value his client. He was the last sub of the match, towards the very end of the game.

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    23 called up for the game against Inter tomorrow. I don't expect a good result. Despite being closer to Palermo than ever (I'm on vacation in Rome right now), I'm not by the computer much so just a short post.

It appears the match will be on BeIN Sports at noon eastern time

DIFENSORI: Aleesami, Andelkovic, Cionek, Giuliano, Goldaniga, Gonzalez, Pezzella, Rispoli, Vitiello.
    CENTROCAMPISTI: Bouy, Chochev, Gazzi, Hiljemark, Jajalo, Quaison.
    ATTACCANTI: Balogh, Bentivegna, Embalo, Nestorovski, Sallai.

Lineup should be

Posavec
    Goldaniga-Andelkovic-Vitiello
    Rispoli-Gazzi-Hiljemark-Aleesami
    Sallai-Nestorovski-Embalo

Or similar, Maybe Bentivegna for one of the two wingers.

-------

Palermo have only won 2 of the last 11 matchups, none since 2013. But Inter also lost their opener 2-0 to Chievo Verona, so maybe there is hope

5. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, hey- enjoy Rome!

Was a fairly enjoyable match to watch today. While Inter had the run of play for most of the match, a fluke goal gave Palermo the lead to start the second half and they were able to hold on to the tie after Inter got a deserved equalizer. Inter definitely looked like the better club for most of the day, but the end result is a point for each side, and I'm pretty happy to avoid starting the season with consecutive loses.

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I'll take a draw. I'd have taken a 10-0 loss if it guaranteed the Balotelli deal gets done tomorrow.

harrylee773 repped this.
  7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, it seems about right. So, will there be an interim for this game?

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I assume it will be handled by Davide Possanzini, who is De Zerbi's assistant coach. I haven't seen anything about it yet though. De Zerbi is still able to do all of the training before hand, so I can't imagine it will be too big of an issue.

10. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Functionally, I can't see it being too big of an issue- I was just wondering if we would have the distinction of having 3 different coaches for our first 4 games, which it looks like we technically will. Can't say I'm surprised.

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Turns out the Napoli game is today, not the 11th. Don't know if I just got that wrong or what.

24 were called up

DIFENSORI: Aleesami, Andelkovic, Cionek, Goldaniga, Gonzalez, Pezzella, Rajkovic, Rispoli, Vitiello.

CENTROCAMPISTI: Bouy, B. Henrique, Chochev, Gazzi, Hiljemark, Jajalo.

ATTACCANTI: Balogh, Bentivegna, Diamanti, Embalo, Nestorovski, Sallai

Quaison, Trajkovski, and Morganella all out with injuries. The first two should be back soon.

Likely lineup? I have no idea if De Zerbi is sticking with the 3-4-3 or not, and no idea if Gonzalez is going to come back into the starting lineup. Diamanti should start, but I don't know where.

Just a reminder, all the sales from this game are being donated to the victims of the earthquake a couple weeks ago.

harrylee773 repped this.
  12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    4-3-3, Possanzini is indeed the man in charge today. Diamanti captain for his first match. Embalo starting (having previously complained that the team wasn't giving him a big enough role). Vitello to the bench in the reduction to 2 CBs, and Gonazalez still not starting. I wonder if we will see him play again. Henrique not starting yet (I suspect he will be soon enough), and Nestorovski, touted by Zampa as the next Cavani/Pastore/you name it to save the club, relegated to the bench.

Posavec
    Rispoli-Goldaniga-Rajkovic-Aleesami
    Hiljemark-Gazzi-Jajalo
    Embalo-Diamanti-Sallai

A disposizione: 68 Fulignati, 2 Vitiello, 4 Andelkovic, 12 Gonzalez, 15 Cionek, 18 Chochev, 22 Balogh, 24 Bouy, 25 B. Henrique, 27 Bentivegna, 30 Nestorovski, 97 Pezzella.

13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Big block by Goldaniga (I think) in the 15th minute. Napoli cut through the defense way too easy.

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Approaching halftime. Pretty uneventful first half, Napoli has definitely had more chances, but nothing overly worrisome yet.

15. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo apparently didn't come out of halftime. its 2-0 Napoli in the 52nd after a goalless first half

16. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, wow- apparently Palermo thought this was a 45 minute game, I guess. Jeez...

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo @ Crotone tomorrow at 9am EDT. Given the matchup, I can't imagine its on an english broadcast.

Last match of the opening 4, this is the one that Palermo ought to, and needs to, win. Crotone currently sits in last place with 0 points out of 0 games. Palermo is just ahead with their 1 draw.

25 players were called up for the game

DIFENSORI: Aleesami, Andelkovic, Cionek, Goldaniga, Gonzalez, Pezzella, Rajkovic, Rispoli, Vitiello.

CENTROCAMPISTI: Bouy, B. Henrique, Chochev, Gazzi, Hiljemark, Jajalo.

ATTACCANTI: Balogh, Bentivegna, Diamanti, Embalo, Lo Faso, Nestorovski, Sallai.

Morganella, Trajkovski, and Quaison all miss through injury still.

There has been some talk that the formation may change from the 4-3-3 used last week to a 4-3-2-1 or something involving a 3 man back line (probably a 3-4-2-1) again, to make use of Diamanti's more natural role as playmaker and/or the teams experience with the 3 man back line.

However if the 4 man backline remains,

Aleesami-Goldaniga-Rajkovic-Rispoli
    Hiljemark-Gazzi-Henrique
    Embalo-Nestorovski-Diamanti

is possible. Still not sure who the top of the depth chart looks like up front, but we shall see

=====

Crotone, newly promoted from Serie B, doesn't share any players in common with Palermo, or any real standout players. They have scored just 2 goals as a team so far. Again, this game should be a win.

======

The teams met twice in serie B, with Palermo winning the away leg in 2013 2-1, while the may 2014 encounter ended 0-0. It was the second to last game of the season, at which point I'm pretty sure Palermo had already guaranteed themselves first place.

======

If this is anything less than a win, its an abject failure. I predict 2-0

18. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a cable subscription that offers BeIN Sports, you can watch this one on the BeIN Sports app tomorrow morning. It's not ideal (I can never get it to work with my Apple TV), but it's in English and definitely better than a pirated stream.

A 2-0 win would be fantastic.

19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Crotone leads 1-0 at halftime.

Rajkovic had to be subbed off after colliding with Posavec on the goal.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Embalo came on for Sallai at halftime. After the two subs, the lineup is now

Rispoli-Goldaniga-Gonzalez-Aleesami
    Hiljemark-Gazzi-Henrique
    Diamanti-Nestorovski-Embalo

Good to see Gonzalez getting back into the lineup finally, but so far it hasn't helped.

Still 1-0 to Crotone. Palermo starting to control the game, but not a lot threatening

21. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nestorovski scores his first in Serie A, assist from Aleesami out wide. 1-1

25 minutes to find a winner

22. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Hiljemark with a long shot that looked destined to go in the bottom corner, but the gk pulls off a finger tip save

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo VERY VERY lucky to not be down 2-1 on a counterattack as the Crotone player gets the ball in the center of the box and completely mishits his shot

Just 5 minutes plus stoppage left

24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    FT. draws against teams like Crotone aren't going to be enough if this team wants to avoid relegation.

Palermo dominated possession like 60-something percent, but couldn't turn it into goals.