Review: Week 8: The time for questions has begun!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by EL MONO MARIO, Apr 30, 2012.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be a telling week for MLS… But there are many many questions to be asked after this week.

We begin with the week review. LA GALAXY and FC DALLAS played a great game at the HDC which saw LA Claw a 1 -1 draw with FC DALLAS. Colorado crushed Chivas USA at home. RSL made it 0-7 for Toronto FC, NY beat NE but not without losing Henry for 3 to 4 weeks! The Sounders got a huge road win in Chicago, and Marco Pappas olimpico is soooo sweet. Vancouver beat a life less Crew side and DC UNITED continues their return to the top with a 3-2 win over the Dynamo. San Jose still proving to be the real deal with a win against the shaky Union. The Timbers fall again this time to the Impact.

Those were the results but now here are the raging questions of a week that might be very critical for some teams:

1. How much is enough? After 0-7 start the right thing for Winter to do would be to step down.
    2. What really has changed in Portland? Spencer maybe one of the most charismatic coaches in MLS and a down right nice guy. But his Timbers team has sunk. And sunk fast. While the Timbers have a pretty nice roster on paper some of the clubs best players (on paper) just down right under perform. Jorge Perlaza is one of them. For now Spencer gets the benefit of the doubt and most likely will be around to make roster wholesale changes, but that is for now. The Cinderella second season has been a nightmare so far.
    3. Can New England really afford keeping Benny Feilhaber and Diego Fagundez on the bench anymore? These two guys have great footwork and lots of talent. New England’s season is slumping fast. Benny Feilhaber should be starting on this team and Fagundez’s “am a professional soccer player on my high school summer vacation” should start much more earlier.
    4. Should Fredy Montero be benched? Nothing from Montero in 6 games. A pulling of the ears is in order as the Sounders struggle for goals. But for now have been lucky at getting results.
    5. If the Fire really wants things to improve they must make their minds up about Sebastián Grazzini. His contract ends in July, why on earth would a MLS team sign a guy to leave mid-season? When your number 10 does not know if he will be here in a few weeks, don’t expect much from him.
    6. Where is the new Columbus Crew? The Crew have been DOA for a few games. Where is that new team that was supposed to shake up MLS?
    7. Can New York survive 3 to 4 weeks without Henry?

Golden Star: Stephen Lenhart, say what you want this guy can score goals. And could be huge in SJ during the season.

Silver Star: Maicon Santos: 6 goals on the year and a double this weekend!

Wooden Spoon: Fans! Where are the fans? Some teams Columbus, DC, and COL drew 10,11, 13 thousand for their games. Weak… Very weak.

2. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NY can tread water without Henry, but the loss of the other starters to injury and suspension will sink them over the next month or so. They played a very bland game against NE once they scored, and i'd expect more of the same until Henry comes back. Hope to get a goal out of Cooper, or some renewed productions from Richards/Lindpere....otherwise park the team on the defensive side of the field and hope the rookies can hold the line.

Fortunately the next month isn't horrible for schedule. LA and Houston are tough. Philly is so-so. Montreal and Chivas are bad. If they get out of May going 2-2-1, then that's probably good for them.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big draw in Colorado was Beckham being their last week, so a lot of the casual fans went last week and then skipped this week. Combined over the last two weeks though the Rapids drew over 30K. I'm guessing the times that's happened in a one week span are pretty few at the Dick.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. TFC is the best last place team I've ever seen. They are not being outplayed, even on the road @ RSL. Don't panic. The system is starting to work. Look for that one or two upgrades that will help eliminate big mistakes that are killing them.

2. Results compared to last year are within a range that can be explained by variance. In other words there is not enough evidence to conclude that POT is worse than last year.

3. No reason to panic over a 0-1 loss on the road. NER have played only two homes games and five road games. You should expect them to be low in the table.

4. You just won on the road. Celebrate, don't panic.

7. I sure hope not! At least I hope they cannot on 5/9.

5. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    In reverse order: By all rights Lenhart should be battling with Sapong as the emergency backup to Jozy ( back to goal striker). He doesn't have Sapong's nimble feet. He combines as well and puts himself in a position to score more. But his history has been one of lacking in discipline and elements of headcase.

I agree, if RB goes only loses twice in the next month, that should be considered success

The Crew are a bad organization. The coaching is crude. (Only Philly has such bad coaching) There is ample evidence the coach cannot motivate, and the front office lacks ambition.

TFC needs two high level professional central defenders. Until they get that, they are doomed ( which means this season is already lost) If the coach did not seek to make the changes over the off-season, he is at fault. Nonetheless, and maybe I'm in the minority but I do see this team as much improved and probably ok by next year if they DON"T fire the coach. His system could work, but they need to get a new partner for Frings and two new proven CDs

All else is par for the course.