PBP: Week 6 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, May 19, 2017.

1. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Probably have to get Chicago drunk first, but love that trade for Houston.

You're giving way to much trade value to Lloyd. She turns 35 this summer, her skills are in decline and team's view her as a headache at this stage. I'm not convinced that anybody is willing to take her off of Houston's hands, certainly not for real trade value. She's still a good player, but Carli is all about Carli first and that is not good for a locker room.

Outcome of this deal would be Houston gets a lot better while Chicago gets worse.

2. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Havent seen anything besides a few min of Boston Portland. Drunk in Seattle now hipstering it up drinking ginger beer cocktails. Will be at game tomorrow

Blaze20 and blissett repped this.
  3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    You seem to travel to a lot of NWSL cities, do you go there for work?

4. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Naw, my husband and I are on vacation. We'd been wanting to do a west coast trip and decided to fly into Seattle and then drive to San Fran. The dates were decided before the schedule released and worked out that Seattle played home this weekend. Seeing a Giants game in SF too.

Blaze20 repped this.
  5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It's ironic, because Ohai and Menges are both players Ellis has bizarrely snubbed despite their NWSL form.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Observation from the FCKC-Washington game.

Sauerbrunn with a foul! :eek: ....

...and a yellow card! :eek::eek:

That never happens.

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ????

8. No way the Red Stars should want Carli Lloyd at any price higher than a low round draft pick. Other than a few games of "the real Carli Lloyd" she sleep walked through her season here. The Red Stars locker room now belongs to Press and JJ Ertz as long as they want to be here.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Heeeeee go Red Stars! =3

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ARGH! What a golden chance by Ertz, just inches off of 0-3 as she beats everyone but it glances off the post...

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There's three!!! =^.^= DiB knocking one in as it bounces around the box.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    This league is bonkers.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Or better yet Riley is. Why is McDonald playing in a back 3? What is going on with coaches and the back 3 this year? I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories but one minute Ellis is fiddling with back three to disastrous effect and the next minute multiple NWSL coaches are doing the same

blissett repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to contrast Lloyd to Sinclair. Christine is there for every game, gives everything she has, and is willing to play wherever on the field and to fill whatever role she is asked. She is a leader in every way. Lloyd can be a great player, but what she does as a team player is limited. Maybe it has something to do with the cultural difference between New Jersey and British Columbia.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the "back 3" is in vogue not just in US WoSo but in the global soccer world in general... I've heard it talked about quite a bit (or at least quite a bit more than previously) the past few months in both MLS and EPL.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #91 blissett, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Well, I have to say I am impressed by what Chicago did in the second part of 1st half.

Courage crack was more mental than tactical or physical: after each goal, they looked like a child in a tantrum, obsessively trying to get back in the game but doing it in a chaotic and emotional way, with no rational and composed build up and just charging like a blind ram instead.

Any counterattack was enough for Red Stars to make Courage's defense miserably crumble apart. It wasn't tactically well-deployed, and Erceg absence is felt, but I repeat, it's mostly mental: the way they lost the ball in their box (see third goal) or they lost their marking (second) was an utter lack of concentration.

I now wonder if the game will go downhill for Courage (they could easily gift even more chances to Chicago in 2nd half) or if they'll somehow manage to regroup at HT, with the help of the coach, and try to play decently in 2nd half. They especially need calm.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, it's somehow a trend, but you need the personnel to adequately try that and you need a long training if you're not used to it. So, my humble advice is, if you don't have all of that, just forget the latest fashion trend and stick to a solid 4-back line-up. :coffee:

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #93 blissett, May 21, 2017
    I just hope it doesn't become too much bonkers later today. I have to say I probably couldn't stand something along the lines of SEA 1 ORL 4 with an hat-trick by Marta or anything of the kind! :x3:

Please, let's stick to some boring, predictable Seattle's win! :devilish:

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    That was a nice taken goal by Williams

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    DiB taken out harshly... =-(

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #96 SiberianThunderT, May 21, 2017
    Hmm... I've only watched about one game per week live (and never the Lifetime game) until this week, so my sample size is smaller that it's been for others, but this is the first time I've had my feed repeatedly just freeze indefinitely - and I'm watching on the NWSL site right now; had to hit "refresh" multiple times to get things reset.

Makes me think that the problems people have been complaining about are not Go90's fault, but the fault of whatever production studio is being used.

blissett repped this.
  22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently she's been dealing with a quad injury.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, happened to me also (watching matches from the NWSL website streaming), although today I had the screen freezing "just" a couple of times; for the rest it was quite smooth and I didn't have to reload as much often as I had to do other weeks.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And with the Red Stars holding firm for the rest of the second half, NJ becomes the only team still perfect at home.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Chicago finally scored some goals.

Why in the world was McDonald playing defense for NC in the first half? Bad coaching decision in my opinion.

Despite the announcers hype of Taylor Smith I would have preferred Doniak in the second half rather than Smith for NC. Doniak seems to me a better crosser. Also, a little too much hype tossed toward Christen Press by the announcers. Chicago has many good players.

Quite a blitz NC put on to try to catch up. Good for Chicago to weather the storm. Naeher might deserve to be player of the match.

The stream was excellent.

blissett repped this.