PBP: Week 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Calci0, May 6, 2017.

1. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Weather looks great for all three matches today, partly sunny to overcast and cool, no rain. Rain possible in Boston tomorrow afternoon, and will be warm and sunny in Kansas City.

Major injuries still hobbling many teams, worst of all Portland and Washington. Andressa and Brian moving from "doubtful" to "questionable" is encouraging. Sky Blue's midfield is depleted with Rocky and Corboz out, they don't have great midfield depth to begin with. How long will concussion protocol keep Pearce out? We will see if Carolina's 3-5-2 can still work without wide players Eddy and Hinkle.

I'm very intrigued by Boston-NCC. The Breakers knocked off one bogey team in Seattle, and now they face the team that's beaten them up more than any other. I still pick NCC to win this one but a Boston victory would be fun to see.

3. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Leaving the neighborhood derby party to watch my Dash. Don't let me down!

CoachJon repped this.
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to guess I'd say Riley's probably going to put Witteman in for Hinkle.

Brian's listed as a sub, but Andressa is still out.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Gilmoy, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    [WAS-SkB]
    01' 0-0 Washington kicks off, boots over endline :p and we're off!

01' 0-0 Sheridan gk, Sky Blue sprint to box top, Kerr weaves centerward to arc top, dink pass through arc left to O'Hara open in box -- offside, and she clangs it too far to Labbé.

02' 0-0 Kerr receives sprinting down box left behind somebody, dribbles through box left to 6m mid-left, shot kick-saved by Labbé over endline left. Sky Blue's speed ...

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Gilmoy, May 6, 2017
    06' 1-0 Washington steals deep, Sigvardsen Jensen dink pass from arc top through arc left to Ordega cutting through the line perfectly, one-touch right foot shot from 12m left post-ish sneaks under Sheridan's sprawling left arm, into back right low. "Entirely against the run of play!" -- pbp guy, and we all nod

12' 1-1 Galton(?) pulls up at 16m box left, serves a low drive toward 1/3 left for Kerr(?)'s near-post run. Labbé is overworked by two threats, sprawls late and double-blocks ball wide to 6-top right. O'Hara lurks unmarked thereat, measures a volley and blasts it hard into the upper back edge center.

25' 2-1 Huster passes through box top mid-left, micro-back-flick at box top. Ordega receives and rounds Freeman(?) stumbling, gets to 2m 6-left, flicks right outstep past Sheridan to 1m center. Simon is caught pulling up heading toward own goalline, shuffles feet but can't get the weight right, hook-clearance try instead dunks ball into own back left low. Too much time, and yet, too little.

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think so.... Witteman at right fullback, Abby & Abby center backs, Smith in for Hinkle on the left flank in front of Kawamura at left fullback.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    34' 3-1 Ordega dribbles to circle top, long fast diagonal pass hits Solaun flying up the box left lane behind Mills(?) -- long stride vs. short stride :oops: Solaun touches alone through box top arc left, follows to 8m 6-left as Sheridan slides out low, opens hips and curls into back right 2/3 high. Wow, Solaun is a speed threat up front -- some team could have really used that ...

9. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Who woulda thought Washington Sky Blue would be the high scoring game this week

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Ordega is having a special game tonight. What a performance!!

blissett repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Harvey decided to try a new formation on Derby night. Maybe I missed it this week but is Nairn injured?

[​IMG]

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game was fun.

Blaze20 repped this.
  13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nairn was listed as out with an excused absence on the injury report.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Oops didn't read it. Thanks :)

15. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Mathias still starting...
    [​IMG]

BlueCrimson and Blaze20 repped this.
  16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 Gilmoy, May 6, 2017
    [FIS-LOC]
    35' 1-1 Raso dumps ball past falling Barnes at 24m right touch, chases it alone down wide right to 6m box right, ahead of Pickett. Cross bounces awkwardly to 8m center, Fishlock slides on back and muffs her poke-clearance try -- places ball perfectly under Kopmeyer's late dive, into back left low. It's Jess vs Jess :coffee:

40' 1-2 Kawasumi turns back at 14m box right, soft backpass to box top mid-right for Stott breaking through the line. Dainty dink pass to 6-top right post, Mathias lurks at center and pounces onto it first, ignores the return tap to Stott :D, runs around forehand, chips into back right high as Franch slid to block low. Mathias trolls you all --

HT 1-2.

17. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Fishlock with an own-goal and Mathias answers back with a goal...
    [​IMG]

(at least she's been playing up front where she can't give up anymore PKs...)

blissett and Blaze20 repped this.
  18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get one game this week without an OG? Just one?

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82' 2-2 Raso drives hard down wide left, ground cross to 6-top left, cleared on the ground to box top left. Klingenberg steps to it, serves 1-touch left foot outswinger to 7m 1/3 right. Long outjumps Barnes(?) by 1cm and leans her head goalward, nods a fast lob over Kopmeyer's fingertips, off crossbar center, deflects down into center back low. Seattle has been a bit too dainty/cute in the back, throwing the same piece of chum back into the shark tank ...

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Uh wow. That Thorns-Reign game had some intensity to it. Just a little bit. :eek:

Fishlock and Henry are true warriors, it was fun to watch them battle all game. Rapinoe and Long are wily vets of this league, each with many savvy plays; of course Long gets the equalizing header in front of the Riveters. I have doubts about her as a USWNT player but in league play she has that clutch X factor. And Sinclair almost seals the comeback at the end after being anonymous for 90 minutes, only to be cleared off the line.

After the earlier 4-3 game (from Sky Blue and Washington of all people ), and now this, an all-around satisfying day of NWSL action. Can't speak for Chicago-Houston, which based on the highlights was more of a snoozer.

Sky Blue really missed Pearce today. The average age of their backline was 22 and it showed. Both teams squandered great chances, and Labbé continues to make saves. Final score at the SoccerPlex could've been 7-6!

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She was outstanding. :eek: Easily MVP of the week, without even having to watch sunday's games! :cool:
    Or does any player have to object that she's going to post a better performance than 2 goals, 1 winner-assist and forcing an own-goal? :coffee: Marta, anyone? :p:D

I remember 5 years ago, when I saw Francisca Ordega play U-20 WWC 2012 in Japan (where Nigeria fell short from medaling by losing third-place match to Japan) and I can tell you: she was something special already. :notworthy: I am happy that she's showing off her quality, because such a player deserves recognition. When I think that she's still 23, I wonder if she still has room to grow even better and if Nigeria could have some sensational result in the next years...

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, as long as Mathias is played where she can't do damage (i.e. not at Right Back position! :devilish:), I am all in. As we've seen, she can even be useful, in that case. :giggle:

Seriously, though, it's a shame that Seattle gave away that late equalizer. But especially Fishlock's own-goal was quite awkward. With it, she tore down all of the effort of her 1' minute wonderful goal.
    Probably this Seattle's defensive set-up was better than the one vs Boston, but why they anyway have to give away ugly goals? :cautious:

23. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Spirit vs Sky Blue game was the best game so far this season This is the NWSL

24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #24 FawcettFan14, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Update to a few NWSL Ironwoman records:

Kallman played 90 minutes again, extending her consecutive minutes streak to 3,960.

Lauren Barnes pulls ahead of teammate Christine Nairn in the race to 100 NWSL games. With Nairn missing Seattle's game last night, Barnes now has 89 (all with the same team, no less) to Nairn's 88.

Attendance Watch
    • Chicago continues to struggle, drawing only 2,114 (-39 fans from last home game). Again, another mid-afternoon fixture might be a factor.
    • Washington pulls in 3,190 (+36). With an exciting 4-3 victory, perhaps word will spread that this team isn't horrible and they can lure more fans back. Closer to 4,000 than 3,000 would be nice to see.
    • Portland reliable as always, drawing 16,160 (+1689) for the Cascadia rivalry game.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Fishlock's own goal was actually quite a nice finish, tucked into the corner. Nice placement. ;)

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.