PBP: Week 3 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me I'm not dreaming.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 6.15.05 PM.png

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [POR-ORL]
    20' 0-1 Sonnett gets pancaked by Morgan(?) at own arc top box left. Sonnett pops up and takes the fk quickly, upfield toward Horan at 30m arc (her) left. Nairn jumps the route and intercepts, touches into space and fakes a long shot -- then passes diagonally to Ubogagu backcutting Reynolds through arc left to 15m. Ubogagu touches once to 8m 3-left, shoots left instep outswinging past Franch's dive, into back right low.

28'' 1-1 Horan dribbles up centerline to 30m, passes to Weber(?) at arc top right, one-touch ping back to Sinclair, pass left to Horan. Horan faces up 1-v-2, cuts left to arc top left, shoots left instep across mouth -- off right post high, banks in behind Harris.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    39' 2-1 Klingenberg plays Horan down wide left to 8m. Horan loops a cross toward Weber jumping 1-v-2 at 6-top left post. Ball misses all three of them, bounces untouched at 5m center. Sinclair has craftily gotten inside position on Nairn, putts a grasstop dink volley just inside left post, past Harris frozen at that range.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #29 MRAD12, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    I like Crnogorcevic. She can flat out play. Good vision, good speed, good moves.
    Will be a huge asset for Portland. IMO, a starter.

CoachJon and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Nairn in white cleats? The all-black look kind of became her thing.

CoachJon repped this.
  6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    She is fast, but also has that European subtlety to her game. Knows how to use space, use her body to shield players, when to slow it down rather than constantly going forward.

MRAD12 repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Thorns game, and the weather didn't come close to what we out here would call "crappy." In fact, it was fairly normal -- but a far reach from what one would consider normal in Orlando.:D

blissett repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I dunno,

The 16,644 fans leaving Providence Park seemed to have had a good time.

We could hear the riveters singing to Sinclair from outside the stadium.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only conclude that the wackadoodle life paradigm out there that considers 50-55 degrees and rain not being crappy weather must also be same life paradigm that puts 16,000 - 23,000 in the stadium for Woso. If so, I say kudos to the paradigm.

blissett repped this.
  10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh:!

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, if that doesn't happen just for me overseas, that's seriously annoying. What does that mean? That everything beyond the basic-service of little-screen, no-replay highlights will be put behind a pay-wall from now on? o_O

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not only Seattle won, but I notice they played with their away fluo-kit from last year, that I had somehow grew affection with (despite the fact that it hurts the eyes :p).

They had presented a different, white and black, secondary kit, before the start of the season, but apparently they're sticking with the old one anyway.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just found the time to watch full highlights. Well, you can say that Skroski's foul wasn't as blatant as Colaprico in the previous match-day, but that's only because Colaprico's was one of the most deliberate hand-balls I ever witnessed. :p Skroski's volley-smash wasn't much less blatant: it quite looks as, after the questionable (and most likely wrong) call on Sauerbrunn in 1st match-day, players wanted to make things easier for referees by showcasing some of the most obvious and punishable hand-balls in the box you could imagine. :D

By watching full highlights, I also got bad news for Seattle: the 2nd PK we wasted with Taylor but, especially, Rapinoe's injury. :unsure: If last season taught us anything is that there is one player Seattle can't afford to lose and this player is Megan Rapinoe. So I hope her injury isn't too much serious.Does anyone know anything more about than what TV-screen showed? :cautious:

Australian and Japanese players will be on NT duty for another week, so next match could really be tough for Reign, should Rapinoe be out

14. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #39 Todorojo, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Cleo. The newest Real organization mascot. We have 3 now, 1 for RSL, one for the USL Monarchs and now 1 for the Royals. My kids got a picture with her after the game when we got down on the field for the Platten concert.

One thing that stuck out to me during this first game was the they really thought of everything when it came to treating the Royals just as they would RSL. Everything RSL gets at their games (and in some cases more due to this being the first game) was also happening at the Royals game. They had their Carnaval outside the stadium before kickoff. They had fireworks for the national anthem and the concert. Fly over by I believe National Guard helicopters. And it goes on. I think setting that first impression is important. Don't let this first game look minor league, so that the state treats it like a major league team.

Gilmoy, CoachJon, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  15. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The NJ match should've been on Saturday. There was a half marathon taking place on Sunday that closed off a lot of roads on Rutgers making it difficult to get to the stadium. It was also 40 degrees and rain predicted. Non surprise for the small crowd in NJ.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    NWSL trying to save bandwidth?

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #42 Cliveworshipper, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    What you call partly cloudy, we call partly sunny. The actual daily precip was .29 inches, or about the same as the first five minutes of one thundershower in DC.

And the sun actually did appear for a couple minutes. Crappy weather would include volcanic ash.

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They are calling it a hamstring tweak.

So, anything from she’ll play next week to season ending....

Myrtle repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, that's reassuring... not! :x3:

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Shio
    She is out for the NC match, per Chris Henderson.

blissett repped this.