PBP: Week 16 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 Gilmoy, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    64' 2-1 Smith gk, Huster heads to Solaun, forward to Ch.Williams at 33m mid-left, one-touch ping back to Dougherty Howard. She dribbles to 24m center, diagonal pass through box top mid-right, Banini chases to 12m and one-touch turn-and-shross floats to crossbar center. Smith backpedals, micro-touches ball onto bar. Ball drops at 0.5m 1/3 left, Ch.Williams is already jumping there, nods in.

79 2-2 Purce dribbles past circle back right, passes up wide right for Onumonu not marked. Zadorsky does well to overtake, but too well -- Leon alertly sprints through arc top center, watching Zadorsky's shoulders and staying 0.5 step behind. Onumonu chips a cross from 22m box right to 10m center, Leon pulls up and waits for the bounce, shoots left foot at 7m 2-left from almost a standstill -- wrong-foots Haracic, past her kick-save try into 1/4 right back low.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+7' (of +4') 2-2 Pugh fk at 27m box left, low fast chip to 10m center, E.Johnson stoop-heads a pop-up to goalmouth center -- off crossbar, bounces out to 7m 2/5 left. E.Johnson 2nd header but Stengel bodies her off while airborne, ball goes rightward along 6-top and Chapman(?) clears twice. Leon outlets to Onumonu escaping past midfield right touch unmarked -- and the same pattern arises again: Kleiner chases hard to overtake on the inside, Onumonu lets her do it and veers inside to 22m box right, White stays just behind Kleiner's run through arc top center. Onumonu ground pass to White at 15m 2/5 right, juuust behind her stride, White must stop and wait to settle ball. Haracic charges out and jump-tucks to block, White turn-and-hooks right foot low -- just wide right :speechless:. Double face palm, like twenty-two gut punches.

FT 2-2.

blissett repped this.
  3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was more Washington dropping points than Boston gaining a point.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ORL-NJ] weather delay; was to begin at 17:00 PDT but the delay persists

[CHI-POR]
    03' 0-1 Portland steal at midfield, Horan backpasses to Klingenberg. Square touch right to Sonnett, forward pass to Horan. Horan chips long from circle back box left to 30m arc left, both Sinclair and Raso sprint past S.Johnson. Raso takes one touch-and-go at arc tangent left to spot, chases ball as Naeher charges out -- S.Johnson lunge-hooks a slide-tackle try, Raso sprawls down but gets one last hook-dink mini-chip over Naeher's kick-save try, ball rolllllls up centerline and in just ahead of Naughton chasing.

09' 0-2 Naeher gk to circle center, Henry heads to circle top over Colaprico's back. Sinclair lags a long diagonal pass for Raso sprinting to 25m box right as Short sprints to recover -- and Henry follows hard into the mid-left lane behind Short's back. Raso pulls up at 21m box right, Henry glides inside-out just behind Short, Raso passes down mid-right to 6m. Henry runs around it, one-touch right instep cutback to 7m center. Brynjarsdóttir overran it, steps back and pokes back to 8m 1/4 right, Sinclair steps to it like a back-2 in volleyball, one-touch right instep just inside right post 1/3 high.

Well, that escalated quickly.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16' 1-2 Horan does one too many spin-back at own arc top wide left, Huerta cannily waits for the last spin-cw, reaches around from the right side :D and toe-pokes ball off Horan's foot, to Colaprico. Colaprico holds, taps inside to Mautz cutting to 22m mid-right. Mautz shoots left foot fast lob to right 90, Franch lunge-hangs and pushes ball onto bar. Ball bounces at 2m right post, Press pounces first and lifts waist-high roundhouse, dinks ball downward past Franch into center back low.

[ORL-NJ] kickoff pushed back to 17:46 PDT, so another ~13'.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    38' 2-2 S.Johnson serves long from 36m arc left to Ertz's chest sneaking behind Menges at 9m 6-right. Ertz chases centerward to 8m right post, gets swarmed 1-v-3, goes down to a knee -- but keeps digging ball out from under Menges, neither can settle it. Ball leaks out behind both, as after a rugby scrum. Huerta collects at 10m right post, rounds everybody to 7m 5-right, blasts right foot rising hard over Franch's left shoulder -- glances off Franch's left fingertips, into center back high.

HT 2-2.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ORL-NJ] underway!
    04' 1-0 Pearce chips from the back to Kerr at circle top, knockdown backpass header misses behind Killion to her right, directly to Marta just behind midfield mid-(her)left. Marta has time, chips long to 22m arc left, just behind Morgan vs Pearce. Morgan lets ball bounce alongside, pulls up and awaits the 2nd bounce at box top left post -- left outstep trap-and-touch leftward behind Pearce (making her spin). Morgan steps to ball at 14m, instant left foot blast just inside left post low hard, off Sheridan's right hand and into back left low.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [CHI-POR]
    54' 2-2 Sykes shields off Gilliland's hug at 27m wide left, spins cw upfield past her, goes down. Foul, yellow card on Gilliland, for the mantis-arms.

55' 2-3 Klingenberg fk at 27m wide right, long drive inswings-and-dives to 8m center. Sonnett eludes Mautz's grab, jumps amidst the front edge of the scrum (those on the back edge have no room to jump), glances a header down to right post, topspin bounce carries it just inside right post 1/4 high, past Naeher's dive.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59' 2-3 Chicago subs in (1 of 3) #12 Yuki Nagasato :thumbsup: for #4 Alyssa Mautz.

60'20" 2-3 Portland subs in (1 of 3) #34 Tyler Lussi for #11 Dagný Brynjarsdóttir.

60'32" 2-3 Scramble at circle right, Colaprico shields off Lussi, spins ccw away from her. Lussi reaches out and grabs for left shoulder top, hand slips and grasps Colaprico's single-braid, tugs her head into a snap-back. Colaprico sprawls forward, Lussi accidentally steps forth directly upon Colaprico's left forearm. Replay shows Colaprico is sobbing from pain :speechless:

62' 2-3 Colaprico is helped off field, trainer holding her left forearm up.

65' 2-3 Chicago subs in (2 of 3) #2 Jen Hoy for #24 Danielle Colaprico (left forearm).

blissett repped this.
  10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ORL-NJ]
    43' 2-0 Marta backpass, Edmonds to Monica. Monica hoofs long from circle back right to 24m 6-right for Morgan up centerline, Pearce heads back to 10m 6-right. Sheridan races Morgan to ball, sprawls and catches -- then twist-fumbles ball rightward as Morgan hops her. Morgan outraces Sheridan and Stanton through box 10m right to wide right, backpass to Camila at 22m box right. Camila drives down wide right past Killion, drag-pull beats Killion overcommitting toward endline, Camila cuts inside to 2m mid-right. Ground gross to 6m center, Weatherholt back-cuts the scrum and pokes in up centerline past Sheridan still swiveling. Sheridan seems to have been coughing up balls all 1H.

HT 2-0.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    47' 3-0 Krieger passes up wide left to Marta, she goes to circle top left touch, shields off Corboz +1. Somehow Marta spins and digs ball away from Corboz, escapes past both to 27m box left. Square pass to Spencer at 24m arc left. Morgan lurks on Stanton's shoulder at box top center, drifts away from her leftward, Spencer delivers a perfect through-ball to 9m 6-left and Morgan peels off behind the back line. One-touch left foot shot low across mouth, off right bottom pipe 1/2 back, past Sheridan's kick-try.

[POR-CHI]
    FT 2-3. Portland hops over Chicago into 2nd place.

52' 4-0 NJ pass around the back, Freeman chips past circle top, Krieger heads down to Marta. Marta passes right to Morgan, pass right to Weatherholt, forward pass to Spencer at box top wide right. Spencer drives down box right on Stanton to 7m, fast shross to 3m 1/4 right. Sheridan jumps to catch high, ball skitters off her fingers and pops up to 1m center. Marta is there already, hop-heads into empty net. Sky Blue just can't get any offense going, and Orlando's teamwide precision is tearing Sky Blue apart in the back.

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    58' 5-0 Orlando right throw-in at own 24m, they pass it around at back right. Spencer pass square left to circle half-back right, Morgan one-touch perfect 40m ground pass :eek: through arc top right that springs Marta 1-v-1 past Skroski from 30m -- not even a fair race. Marta pulls up at 11m 6-right, opens hips, snipes left instep under Sheridan's right hand early, easily bounces it into back left. This must be how Morgan and Marta goof off during practices, they make 30m passes and run onto them.

They probably nutmeg teammates from 30m away :coffee: and fist-bump

62' 5-0 Orlando subs in (last in 5 years) #18 Madlyn Evans for #17 Dani Weatherholt. NWSL got jobbed again :(

CoachJon repped this.
  13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    65' 5-0 Krieger longball from circle back wide left to box top mid-left for Spencer between Skroski and Pearce. Ball bounces behind Spencer, she flicks off Pearce, Pearce toe-pokes it through endline mid-left. Skroski leans in with too much right forearm into Spencer's left back, Spencer sprawls down -- bit of a height/balance point mismatch there. Foul, pk given.

66' 5-0 Madlyn Evans :x3: pk, right instep to right post low but only 2/3 power, Sheridan dives and double-blocks wide and over.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 5-0. Orlando (26 pts) hops over Seattle (24 pts) into 4th.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just got back from the Red Stars vs Portland game. The Red Stars lost because of poor defense but what Tyler Lussi did to Dani Colaprico is terrible. Everyone in the stands where I sat saw the hair pull,except the refs. Colaprico was in total pain. She could have been hurt real bad.Not only did Lussi pull her hair back but stepped on her as well. Is that how Portland wants to play? By pulling hair and stepping on people? I hope Lussi gets expelled and Portland gets fined. I am pissed and it has little to do with the score.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take the game to the 60 minute mark and then stop it there. Click on the little settings gizmo at the bottom right (it looks sort of like a wheel) and use the menu to slow the replay speed to 0.25. Then, watch from there, both the play and the replay, in particular the replay. Especially, watch Colaprico's pony tail. Does Lussi have her pony tail or her shirt (possibly even a horse collar type shirt pull)?

When I saw it, I thought what you think, but my wife said no, on the replay she saw that Lussi had her shirt. On looking at it with the 0.25 speed, it looks like she may be right. What do you see?

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it back 6 times at that speed and saw a hair grab every time.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do not make excuses for this. If this was done to a Portland player you would not be happy.
    This happened pretty much in front of me and I saw her head snap back. She was in pain. Very dangerous.
    As she was walking into the tunnel after the game one of the fans asked her did she pull your hair? and she looked up at us and said, yes.

Do you think Lussi should have been booked for that? Gilliland was booked for a foul she was trying to not make a few minutes earlier. Colaprico gets her hair pulled and no card?

This needs to be a suspension.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty far out of line -- the underlined part. I simply asked you to watch the slowed down video. I told you that I thought the same thing as you when I saw it, but wasn't sure after I'd seen the video. When I thought for sure it was a hair pull, I told my wife Lussi was going to get into trouble. If I recall correctly, there was a hair pull earlier this year and the player got a suspension. I'm sure the League will look at the video as slowed down as possible. If the League concludes it was a hair pull, then a suspension is in order again. It has nothing to do with the team the player is on, my position would be the same regardless of whose team the player is on.

I appreciate BlueCrimson looking at the video and forming a conclusion based on that. I don't appreciate being insulted simply because I very diplomatically asked you to look at the slowed down video.

MRAD12 and blissett repped this.
  20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I looked a bunch more times, stopping and starting in slo mo. It looks like she grabbed both pony tail and shirt collar. I'm not sure who got the suspension earlier, but if I recall correctly it was for more than one game. Anyone remember?

As for the ref, from the video it looks like Sinclair was between him and the play, with him trying to bend forward and down to see around Sinclair. The sideline official was down to the left (where he should have been, to watch for offside positioning) and wouldn't have been able to see. That's probably why the ref didn't card Lussi (yellow or red), he couldn't see what happened.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Merrit Mathias, Seattle Reign FC. But when she was suspended it was at least her second hair-pulling infraction of the season (yes, she's kind of a thug :p).

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Maybe Mathias' second, but I just don't think there's a place for that in women's soccer. It should be an absolute. (Or, am I naive and it happens more than I think? I don't think so.)

blissett repped this.
  23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more matches tonight!
    [​IMG]

The jet stream sweeping down BC's coast has finally overpowered the high-pressure center over C.WA, with arms of clouds and rain pivoting through Oregon and Washington. With the sun blocked off, daytime temperature have plunged from 98ºF (Sat) to 68ºF (Sun). Ahhhh. Also, morning showers have washed out much of the airborne soot, and cleaned off car hoods, windshields, ... and many car interiors through windows left open overnight :giggle:

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That level of hair pulling is uncommon. And there's absolutely no place for it in any sport. What makes this particular incident worse is the combination of yanking on the hair and stepping on the arm. If an NC player did this, I'd be just as mad, if not more so.

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extremely disappointed and sad are the words that come to me, for the hair pull alone. For the stepping on the arm, could be intentional or could be inadvertent. Either way, I don't think I could be more disappointed or sad. And, I do agree, it's worse when it's a member of your own team.