PBP: Week 11 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Jun 28, 2017.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I'm more inclined to leave her off given the goal scoring vs KC came after she was gone. If the choices up front don't continue to produce then bring her back in. Either way, Beckie needs to spend some time on the bench, it can only be good for her.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, it was Rosie White who takes (left) corner kicks for Boston now.

Every five yellow cards, they appoint somebody else for a day :ROFLMAO:

socfandan, BlueCrimson and blissett repped this.
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So are Cari Rocarro and Sarah Hagen now relegated to end of the bench players ever since Waldrum left the Dash?

Two up and coming players a few years ago in the U-23 and U-20 National Teams are now not even getting 1 minute a game. What a shame.

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Houston have secured 7 points from the last 3 games. I'm not saying these players are at fault but whatever the new coach is doing is working to some extend (or it could just be the presence of Lloyd).
    Either way we have all followed pro women's soccer in this country for years to realize that prior success on the youth teams don't mean squat. In the case of Hagen this is the third NWSL team she has played for and on none of them were she a regular starter. One has to think the issue then is not with a particular coach but the player?

BlueCrimson and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I totally agree with you, Blaze20, and everything you wrote makes sense.

I'll just add a piece to the puzzle, although I am not sure how much important it is: I didn't follow much Sarah Hagen in NWSL, but I did instead when she was playing in Frauen-Bundesliga for FC Bayern München, and she had a considerable success as a player there (and scored a good number of goals). Now, I don't want to start useless comparisons between German and US league, which one is better, which one is worse, and so on (we had whole threads dedicated to that stuff)... I'll just note that maybe Hagen could have been good in that particular type of setting, but her skillset could be less suited for NWSL. :cautious:

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I've watched Roccaro ever since she joined the Dash, I have not been impressed. I think the current back line has done a credible job.

I've only seen Hagen for a few minutes with the Dash, she has been ok, not great. She can't get time because she is the 4th option at forward. Even Janine Beckie has to play mid -field, which is not her strong suit.

As far as Lloyd is concerned, she has been good for the team but she was not the savior, the new coach, new system and improved performance of many players in that system had made the Dash's offense a little better. With the defense not allowing many goals , that lead to the results. In my opinion.

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I partially think this as well, but Hagen was with KC where they used a formation & style of play that was very suited to her skill sets. I think the reality is that Hagen's success in Bayern was less about Hagen & more about all the minnows in that league the she ate for dinner. Not a whole lot of people in the NWSL who you couldn't insert onto that team who wouldn't find similar success.

The other part of that is I just don't think any NWSL coach, even VA in KC, really knows how to utilize Hagen the best. Back to goal target forward who has the ability to bring down lofted & driven balls as good anybody. I remember some time she got with Houston where Kealia drilled a ball at her for about 10 yards away & I thought "oh no K why you got to put her in a spot like tha... oh... oh that was nice"... You could here the thud on Hagens chest, but she controlled it perfectly.

Hagen hasn't played for a long while, under either Waldrum or Morales. Roccaro on the other hand may just be an victim of unfortunate circumstance. The coaching staff, both under Waldrum & Morales, talked every week about settling on a back 4 but never actually did it. 6 weeks in a row they used a different CB & wide back pairing. I think they finally decided it didn't matter who it was, they needed to settle now... & just so happen to make the decision when they won the ORL game. I doubt we see Roccaro or Benites in the starting line up again this season (barring injury).