Wednesday May 16 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ron36pc, May 16, 2018.

1. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stejskal: MLS clubs competing head-to-head for academy talent far from home
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...s-competing-head-head-academy-talent-far-home

Spanish prosecutors request 4-year prison term for Toronto FC midfielder Ager Aketxe
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc-ager-aketxe-assault/

WATCH: Taylor Twellman rips FC Dallas for selling LA Galaxy jerseys
    https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2018/5/1...lman-rips-fc-dallas-selling-la-galaxy-jerseys

Stu Cowan: Money can't buy wins for Impact and new coach Rémi Garde
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/s...-buy-wins-for-impact-and-new-coach-remi-garde

Report: NYCFC’s Vieira put off by Arsenal conversation
    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/05/15/report-nycfcs-vieira-put-off-by-arsenal-conversation/

How Home Depot's Billionaire Co-Founder Used This 1 Secret to Launch a Different Kind of Startup
    https://www.inc.com/cameron-albert-deitch/how-atlanta-united-fc-was-built-like-a-startup.html

McKalla Place MLS site plan: 3 access points, canopy, walking trail
    https://www.statesman.com/sports/so...-canopy-walking-trail/Ju9kps9pHCRwAifTDHUdzI/

Republic FC Founder Warren Smith Steps Down As President
    http://www.capradio.org/articles/20...founder-warren-smith-steps-down-as-president/

Despite snub, Phoenix Rising confident of future with Major League Soccer
    https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2018...confident-of-future-with-major-league-soccer/

Sachsen and Todorojo repped this.
  3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There’s no economic rationality to promotion/relegation whatsoever in the era that we’re in today."

Or ever will be.

This is the #1 key point that the pro/rel zealots always fail to recognize. The only part of the equation they ever focus on is PROMOTION and how cool it is. They completely ignore the realities of RELEGATION and what it would mean financially. In essence, many relegated clubs would likely go under and possibly cease to exist.

The things I hate about the pro/rel zealots is they probably would say that's just fine, it's that club's just rewards for a job poorly done. Darwinian consequences, fan bases (and the subsequent broader effect on soccer in the U.S.) be damned.

Kejsare, Athlone, cwelch999 and 18 others repped this.
  4. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    footballfantatic repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also seems to me that I could buy some gear for the opposing team at MLB, NFL, and NBA venues over many years. And US Soccer games for that matter.

DBR70, don gagliardi, Len and 2 others repped this.
  7. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    And... because Europe.

9. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

There is a fantastic article (which I can not seem to find) on the Swiss Ramble blog about what happens to a teams finances if they are relegated to a lower league. He tracks several teams over a few years, and the outcome is pretty horrific in most cases. Unless you are one of the 4 ish teams that yo-yo back and forth it is not something you want to have happen.

oknazevad, BTFOOM, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I threw it in because it was on ESPN originally (also not too many articles this morning). I like Twellman but agree that his outrage is often forced.

largegarlic and footballfantatic repped this.
  11. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oknazevad repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree at times he goes a little too far to the Alexi Lalas side of things. He's come a long way since his start in the business in 2011 with Philly. He was really good then too, and really connected with fans with his honest takes on the Union and the game.

His new show MLS Rewind is growing too. The second episode was better than the first. He's paid to have an opinion, and he also brings a passion for MLS that too often is missing in the broadcasts in this country (both local and national).

Also as a side note: He's genuinely a good guy. He always made time for fans before and after home broadcasts at the stadium.

13. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onionrings and footballfantatic repped this.
  14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't listen to his rant, and I'd probably agree with what he's saying, largely because I was familiar with this a few days ago, but at this point, anyone who's a fan of this team should expect this.

HSG gonna HSG.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Condensed your post.

Anyway, selling Galaxy kits as fuel for the homecoming bonfire sounds like a great idea. :)

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even going back 50 years ago it was standard practice for baseball teams to sell caps of the visiting team, plus whatever other teams were coming in on that homestand. This was at a time when sports team gear was nowhere near as easy to come by as it is now.

Move along, nothing to see here...

17. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    A related part that the Pro-Rel folks keep forgetting is the TV market in the US and how it is very different than in European countries. The US has basically 5 large markets (NY, LA, Chi, Phi, Dal/FW, and DC). Any risk that a team may not be located in those markets will cause the TV revenue to shrink.

18. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yep.

And there are other reforms which are both more important and more realistic: 1) fixing the season, 2) somehow fixing college soccer and it’s interplay with pro ranks. 3) upgrading academies so theyare universally more productive, 4) eliminating the salary cap.

BTFOOM repped this.
  19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don, reiterates what he has always stood for. And it makes sense and buttresses the nonsense of the Pro-Rel, International calendar people.

JasonMa and BTFOOM repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope some day we move away from treating the Pro/Rel tinfoil hat wearers like anything more than the total morons and imbeciles that they are. It's like having a "debate" on climate change between a PhD scientist who has been studying the complexities of this issue for years, and some moron who couldn't hack the 8th grade, but he's sure he knows better than some pointy-headed intellectual, cause he read it on the internet!

Athlone, Minutemanii and oknazevad repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    "Are you kidding me!?"

Taylor is second only to bLabLas in transparently trying to manufacture something to talk about.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

He makes an assumption that is not accurate. There is no reason that revenue cannot be shared across divisions. You could even have interdivisional play. Start with a smaller 2nd division, made up of 1) expansion cities; 2) dropped MLS teams; 3) the best USL candidates. Then, you've added several soccer markets, with the intent to get to like 40 or so, with a full second division. Share the revenue across the divisions, and have some interdivisional matches to reduce travel. If, say Sacramento is second division, there is no reason not to have the West Coast teams schedule them. If Cincinatti is second division, there is no reason not to have the teams near the play them.

In any rational sport, with the demand for teams and the astronomical franchise fees that are not being charged, a viable new league would have popped up, like yesterday. An AFL/ABA (I think even the NHL absorbed teams from a rogue league) would have popped up. But, soccer has this weird thing where a federation has to sanction a league, and MLS and the Federation have the same (cough cough conflict of interest) decision makers. Is the Fed going to do anything that takes money out of Garber's pocket? Oh.Hell.No. Garber *is* the Fed.

So, lacking a non-corrupt system, the best way to expand the game in the U.S. is for MLS to see the wisdom of being able to access 40 or more markets, rather than limiting it's self to being a one division league. It's very do-able.

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why share the revenues? Then it's more of the NL/AL model of baseball than pro/2nd division.

Athlone, JasonMa, oknazevad and 2 others repped this.
  24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said a few posts ago, a PhD arguing with a junior high dropout...

Kejsare, oknazevad and jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #25 RalleeMonkey, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    So that you can expand the market. Seems obvious.

If you share the revenue, you could add, eventually,

Miami
    Sacramento
    San Diego
    Las Vegas
    Phoenix
    Tampa
    Detroit
    Miami
    Cleveland
    St. Louis
    North Carolina
    Indianapolis
    Nashville
    Milwaukee
    Cincinatti
    New Orleans
    San Antonio

That's 17 new markets, the smallest being New Orleans. That gets you to 40 teams, 2 divisions of 20. Garber talks about "we need to add fans." How do you add fans? Give them a team to root for. You don't think there are more hockey fans in Las Vegas than there were last year? You don't think there ware more hockey fans in OC than before the Ducks arrived?

And, to clarify, when I say inter-divisional play, I mean that each team will have a few matches each season against teams in the other division. The vast majority of the games would be intra-division. But, they would have a few that are inter.

That would 1) create interest for the 2nd division team; 2) reduce travel; 3) preserve rivalries.

It's still all MLS. Still single entity. Still shared revenue.

It's so obvious, it will happen eventually.