Wednesday 22 May 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, May 21, 2019.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Power Rankings Week 12: New York Red Bulls surge, Chicago Fire plummet
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ml...ew-york-red-bulls-surge-chicago-fire-plummet/

Power Rankings: New York Red Bulls make big jump as revival continues
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...ork-red-bulls-make-big-jump-revival-continues

MLS Disciplinary Committee fines Alejandro Pozuelo, 5 others from Week 12
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...ttee-fines-alejandro-pozuelo-5-others-week-12

Six Academy players FC Dallas should sign this summer
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2019/05/21/six-academy-players-fc-dallas-sign-summer

‘When we go back to Atlanta, it’s not going to be nice’: How RBNY versus Atlanta became MLS’s hottest rivalry
    https://theathletic.com/988234/2019...y-versus-atlanta-became-mlss-hottest-rivalry/

How The MLS' Chicago Fire Can Rebrand While Still Respecting Their Club History
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianqui...nd-while-still-respecting-their-club-history/

Pity Martinez misses out on Argentina Copa America squad
    https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...ez-misses-out-on-argentina-copa-america-squad

Sources: Minnesota to loan Ibarra to Pachuca
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/minnesot...1/sources-minnesota-to-loan-ibarra-to-pachuca

Sal Zizzo retires from professional soccer, goes out as MLS Cup champion
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...professional-soccer-goes-out-mls-cup-champion

The Patriots and Revolution: A tale of two teams with no Israeli players
    https://www.jpost.com/Opinion/The-P...e-of-two-teams-with-no-Israeli-players-590318

Overtown redo? Beckham paying $9M for old site, wants stadium
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article230646014.html

USL coaches react to potential ‘head injury substitution’ rule change for 2020
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/usl/us...bstitution-rule-change-edwards-sarachan-espn/

Liga MX owners meeting highlights big changes to come next season
    https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2019...e-next-season-apertura-2019-veracruz-copa-mls

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #3 CMeszt, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    I see #cf97 twitter is it's usual hot mess self over some guy's random article. (Complete with full-on Don trolling).

Either way, the rumor mill seems to have converged on the conclusion that the team has decided against the name change. Crest change seems like a sure thing though.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not anyones business who is not a Fire fan, but IMO even a crest change would be unfortunate.

Its not like the Crew's 3 Amigos, which was never anything but silly although fans grew to embrace it, maybe because it was in fact so obviously stupid.

That one needed to change. The Fire crest is handsome and iconic. Id hate to see the ad/marketing gerbils get their hands on it.

But they probably will. Leaving well enough alone isnt in the playbook. Still as noted above, the problems there don't relate to the name but the ownership and management.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would also be sad. That's also by far one of the best original logos. Pretty solidly unique worldwide.

firefan2001 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Engineers or Architects? Man, that is worse than the mid-90s wave of Wiz/Burn/Clash/Mutiny. They were originally going to be called the Chicago Rhythm, with a snake as a logo, which makes as much sense as the bat,scorpion and fire-breathing horse in other cities.

But nothing matters if the philosophy of how the club operates doesn't make a 180-degree reversal.

firefan2001 repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 ToMhIlL, May 22, 2019
    Pretty bizarre article, to say the least. The guy is a player agent. First of all, I don't know how many Israeli players there are at major college football programs, but I doubt there are many that the Patriots might consider drafting. There aren't any Greenlanders, Bostwanans or Uzbeks in the NFL or MLS either.

Then he goes on to trash Mike Burns, and while all of his points are more or less valid, perhaps he hadn't heard the news? And the fact that Burns passed on a bunch of Israeli players is neither here nor there. Burns i's totally incompetent, but the example of the midfielder who trialed in 2005, well, the Revs were at their peak and pretty stacked there with Dempsey, Joseph, Ralston, Daniel Hernandez, Noonan, and a few others. Not inconceivable that the guy really might not have been good enough to crack that lineup.

His point could have been that there haven't been a lot of Israeli players in MLS. There was an Israeli guy who played for Colorado several years ago, Dedi Ben-Something-or-Other? I know it wasn't Ben-Zona, but that would have been a clever chant for opposing fans!

SccrDon repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dedi Ben Dayan. He was the second Israeli signed by MLS, the first being Guy Melamed who was drafted by the Rapids and was released, partially to make room for Dedi.

"Who's your Dedi?" was our favorite chant when he made the other team look bad.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you're wondering, "Ben" means "son of" in Hebrew, so someone with the name of "Ben David" would be "Davidson." "Ben Zona" means "son of a bitch."

I used to work for an Israeli start-up and there was a PR agency who came in to pitch their services. The woman was rather brash and somewhat pushy to say the least. The name of the company was Zona Communications, and the Israeli guys thought that was hysterical! And we didn't end up hiring them

VioletCrown and jack sticker repped this.
  11. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it have been his brother Ari?

bbsbt, Bill Archer and Bluecat82 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't read the entire article because it just looked ill-informed from the start. However, he does acknowledge at the start that there aren't any Israelis of NFL quality. The inclusion of the Patriots seems to only be for click bait purposes.

The point of the article seems to be that the author has an issue with a team owned by a strong supporter of Israel, Robert Kraft, is not hiring any Israelis to the Revs.

13. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The classic Culture, Nationality, Ethnicity intersection. Although Israel is predominantly Jewish, not all Israeli citizens are. So, hinting at anti-Semitic motives against Israelis may be problematic.

If the players were practicing Jews, I wonder if observing the Sabbath would affect the availability of a player. That would probably be the question I would ask.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think anything of the sort is going on. The Revs have had Muslim players who were serious about their faith, and they did everything they could to help them observe Ramadan, where you can't eat or drink water during daylight hours. The no water part would be pretty tough for a player.

Most games are on Saturday night, and in the summer at least, they tend to start while the sun is still up. Would that mean an observant Jew would have to relegate him self to a sub role? We don't see much of that on regular sabbaths. My dad would tell the story of how Sandy Koufax had to alter his pitching schedule for the World Series, but that was due to either Yom Kippur or Rosh Hoshana, not a random week.

Bluecat82 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a pretty decent forward, Aaron Schoenfeld, who holds dual US-Israeli citizenship although he was born in Tennessee. He was drafted by Montreal, had a couple good years in Columbus but then signed in Israel, where he did the unthinkable and moved from Hapoel to Maccabi, which is like moving from City to United or Rangers to Celtic.

I think hes been called into the national side on occasion, so hes kind of an Israeli. Only one I can think of.

NashSC repped this.
  16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #17 CMeszt, May 22, 2019
    Eh, I've said a lot about this and changed my opinion quite a bit since "the tweet" but that's not really a high bar. Plus, it's unique as a soccer crest but pretty generic otherwise. I was hanging out with a friend who's a firefighter in the 'burbs last month and you'd have to look closely to notice the difference between the Fire crest on my hat and the crest on his jacket.

For all the bitching about the ownership that goes on in what remains of the fanbase, They've brought in a moneybags owner to the group to make a (at absolute minimum) 60+ million dollar investment to get them out of a bad financial deal that not only kept a low cap on the revenue the team is capable of bringing in, but also costs them more and more money every season...and I'm not even bringing up the location factor here. And that's not even counting stuff like the fact that Mansueto's hired some well-connected power players to lobby the city on real estate matters (something AEG could have used back in the day). Fixing the dumpster fire of an organization isn't going to happen overnight.

Are their plans actually going to work? Who knows? But at least the organization is trying something after years of stasis and falling behind. They wanted the team to spend and now they're spending, just not in the way that people initially expected.

There's a non-insignificant faction of Fire supporters who'd turn down a chance to have a thriving, well supported, successful soccer team in Chicago again if it meant that new fans wouldn't care about that one time they had a beer with Wilt at Ginger's Ale House back in 2003...

VioletCrown and Ismitje repped this.
  17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    He went to my Alma mater and played soccer for them.

Bill Archer repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's the point of successful soccer team if it ignores its history and club spirit?

As I recall, it was Fire fans who made this event happen back in 2012.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    He was successful in the USL but not so much in MLS. Then he played well in Israel and got a big contract.

21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is the most confusing thing I have read in a while. Maybe I don't understand the politics/identification, but I thought being Jewish and being Israeli were two different things that were not mutually exclusive.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pablo and Hudson could not have cost that much. The latter should have cost less, but probably cost more. .He really has had a remarkable jump.

I guess Casey isn't a real option.

Conor Casey has a Jurgen Klopp connection. Doesn't that count for something. Conor Casey is probably ballsy enough to drop it in an interview and just let it sit there.

I have seen video footage of Klopp racing down the sidelines to celebrate a full head of hair Conor Casey like he currently does for Mo Salah.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.