WEC :: 12/12, Las Vegas

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bison1997, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're on this board and you don't watch WEC, you should. There are always fun fights and because the smaller weight classes are showcased, there's more stamina and speed on display.

This show should be a good one and a very good way to get into the league - three title matches and Jens Pulver moving down to Featherweight, which is probably a better weight class for him.

Here's the fight card:

Featherweight Title: Urijah Faber (c) Vs. Jeff Curran
    Middleweight Title: Paulo Filho (c) Vs. Chael Sonnen
    Cub Swanson Vs. Jens Pulver
    Light Heavyweight Title: Doug Marshall (c) Vs. Ariel Gandulla
    John Alessio Vs. Todd Moore
    Alex Karalexis Vs. Ed Ratcliff

2. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    I've been looking forward to this card for a month now. Faber and Marshall are exciting fighters and Fihlo is supposed to be the #2 MW in the world according to Sherdog.

They have been playing alot of the WEC on Versus as of late. Some really entertaining fights. Check it out!

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really fun show last night. Anyone catch it?

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some pretty decent fights last night. Pulver really brought it and shut Cub Swanson up. Even though I rooted for BJ in their fight I definitely am rooting for Pulver at featherweight in WEC.

Even though Faber was taken to the 2nd round by Curran he just seemed to dominate the whole fight. Even when Curran had his back in the 1st it didn't ever look like Faber was in trouble. Then he just dominated the 2nd round.

Faber mentioned taking on Pulver for his next fight and I'd love to see that. And even though Little Evil is good I think Faber would just have too much for him to handle and would run through him. I think Pulver would need to land a lucky shot to have a change.

And on to the controversy.

Now being newer to MMA I've never heard of a verbal submission and even if that is a way to end a fight I'd think there has to be more than a fighter just yelling out.

Sonnen was dominating the match but got caught in the arm bar. It looked like a good one and I think he would have tapped eventually but from the replay of when the ref stopped it I feel very strongly it shouldn't have been.

5. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Some decent fights but I was unimpressed with everyone but Faber. That said I think Sonnen has potential. Oh and Little Evil looked good as well

6. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Faber vs. Pulver will truly be a war. Faber has really established himself as the top dog of WEC 145'ers. Pulver though, has a lot of experience as a former UFC and Pride fighter, and has really competed a lot in the lightweight class which Faber hasn't done. He got whooped by Tyson Griffen who has to drop to 145 just to fight Faber, so Faber going up is most likely not going to happen.

And just to throw this out there, Who could take Kid Yamamoto? I'd say Pulver would have the best chance.

7. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A postscript from this show....

Sad. Do these folks not realize that roids are illegal and that they're going to get tested?