Web Hosting Site Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technology' started by RichardL, Jul 20, 2012.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can anybody out there recommend a decent web-hosting site?

I'm trying to learn ASP.NET 4, and part of that has been putting together a website for "Middle Ripsley FC", a ficticious English non-league football club.

I do have it up on a free site at http://aspspider.org/middleripsleyfc/ but that sticks a nasty banner at the top of the page every four seconds, and in any case, only seems to last for 90 days.

I don't anticipate much traffic at all for the site, so I want something cheap.

I also want a site where setting up the website is straightforward. I've been with two (365ezone.com and goddaddy.com) and I've found them both a nightmare in terms of trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to do. I've already taken advantage of the "no quibble refund" on one, and godaddy will almost certainly go the same way.

Part of the the problem with godaddy is that I have an mdf database, and godaddy won't accept them, and demands all databases be set up from scratch and data imported via csv. There no way of exporting an mdf database/table as a csv file, so I look to be screwed there.

What gets me is that the free site was actually really simple to use - pretty much just copy the stuff over, modify the connection strings and go.

Godaddy, on the other hand, seems to see its main priority as selling apps and other add-ons that I don't want, while having a support team incapable of anything more than cut & paste answers.

So.... anyone out there who found a decent cheap hosting site, and found it easy to use without having had much experience of using hosting sites before?

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm a total idiot about web hosting, and I like Laughing Squid.

I have a site with pretty low traffic, so I can't tell you about performance, but I've never had a single problem. Setup is straightforward and I find the cost to be not at all prohibitive.

3. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out Squarespace.com

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks.

I actually found a different site (AccuWebHosting) after cancelling with Godaddy because the price was very good and it seemed to offer what I want, but I'll find out when the account is set up.

I knocked Godaddy on the head after their tech support "experts" advised me to to the very exact thing I was telling them I'd done but wasn't working.

I even included my web.config file and said "look! I've put the code in at the end there, as you suggested" and they just replied "try putting these lines in your web.config..."

5. SophiaGreen

SophiaGreen New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Club:
    AD Carmelita
    Set up your helpdesk system with iKode Helpdesk - Cloud Based Helpdesk Software.
    Cloud-based helpdesk software is widely-used, in iKode helpdesk server, there are 8 languages that customers can selected, they are English, Deutsch, Bulgaria, French, Magyar, Portuguese, Greek and Chinese.

Currently, there are two version of our help desk software:
    - Download solution: http://www.phphelpdesk.org/download/
    - Hosted Solution: http://2help.biz