Weather

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by P.W., Oct 27, 2015.

1. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    So just curious since there are a lot of parents on this thread, what is your opinion of soccer and weather?

Obviously if there is thunder or lightning there or other safety issues, there is no choice in the matter.

But if you got to be the person who decided, would games and practices go forward in the rain or would you prefer they be canceled and rescheduled? I know clubs are just as often looking out for their fields as they are the comfort of the players, but maybe take that out of the equation.

Does it matter at what point in the season it is (harder to reschedule a game later in the season, etc)? Are there other factors that would affect your opinion?

2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For practices, I’d rather they cancel or move indoors…which our team is pretty good about (especially moving indoors)…matter of fact, today’s practice just got cancelled due weather/rain…I guess I am of the mindset that “learning/teaching” is difficult enough in the best of situations; add in horrible, miserable weather and it might just make it a complete waste of time…

When it comes to games…Play! Builds character, and rescheduling is usually a pain and many times not even an option….and yes, I will stand out in whatever weather my son is playing in…

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Really depends on age and level and the expectations that are set for a team. If practice an a game are on, as coach I've always set the example that I will be the last one to leave the field for weather (except thunder and lightning. I am the first one gone).

I have refereed in matches down to 24 degrees. I have refereed in snow. Both on turf fields. No big deal.

As a coach and (youth) player if it starts raining and is below 50 degrees, almost everyone will be miserable. Several years ago, our league did not cancel matches with a pending Nor'easter approaching. For a U-12 game as it started, the rain and wind came in. 37 degrees and sideways rain. Both teams stuck it out. It was awful. But to this day the kids that played that day talk about it like a proud battle wound.

Adult players (assume playing and not frequently subbing like youth), tolerance in those conditions are probably better.

UH60Blackhawk repped this.
  4. ScottyMU

ScottyMU Member

May 1, 2013
    Ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    As long as player safety and health aren't an issue, then you practice or play. I think that is especially true for players/parents that travel a distance to practices or games. Unless you're going to cancel ahead of time, then once we get to a field, I'd just as soon go through with it vs. turning around and going home.

I coached a GU12 games years ago that started out sunny and 50, but temps dropped to the 30's and we had rain followed by sleet and snow. Most of the girls weren't prepared for the weather change and when I say rain, it was a deluge! For the last 10 minutes of the game, you had 20+ players on the field and the bench that looked like drowned rats shivering. At the time, I had significant concerns about illness, but the referee had us play through.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We had a guy forget his name that ran our youth league. He was also an official at Metropolitian oval.

He did every game at that place he never called off a game as unplayable. Except for thunder and lightning. At that time met oval had no grass and no field turf. If it rained or it was cold or windy you played that game. He had to get paid you don't get paid for not playing the game.

So over there you played. So you had to practice playing in terrible conditions. So we practiced in those conditions.

Oh if the temperature was 32 degrees and up you must play in shorts no sweats. Below you could wear sweats under the shorts

6. UH60Blackhawk

UH60Blackhawk Member

Oct 5, 2013
    I agree that it should be age dependent.
    I know he may not really have said it, but there is a reason many attribute the quote "The Battle of Waterloo was won on the fields of Eaton" to Wellington. Part of why sports is so critical to kids is learning life's lessons, particularly how to overcome adversity. I remember my daughter had one ECNL game where it was something like 8 degrees F at kick off with moderate winds. It was horrible. I ran into the opposing coaches at a bar about a year later and even they admitted that it was the most miserable match they were ever involved in either as players or coaches. The girls were not competing, they were surviving. But that is life.
    Now in the above example these girls were high school juniors, so these were not little girls any more.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the most crazy games I ever saw was on TV in the 80's. It was on channel 9 here in NYC. They used to show soccer from Germany on channel 9.

It was crazy cold the players wore women's pantyhose under their shorts. The bladders of two of the game balls exactly exploded in that game.