We Won!

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by CCSUltra, Aug 23, 2009.

1. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Met one of your folks last night at the match. Seems as though 3 Cleveland fans made the trip. Impressive. Cleveland did NOT play like a last place team... Portland did not play like league champs. It was fairly even in midfield, but Cleveland finished their chances, Portland did not. Congrats guys.

2. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. That's both uplifting and aggravating!!!

I mean, when you know your team isn't capable of beating anybody, a certain fatalism takes over and you just live with it. When they then beat ****ing Portland... on the ****ing ROAD, well, a certain question comes to mind:

Where the hell were you guys for the last six months?!?!?

------RM

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, part of it might have been the fact that Portland had already secured first place regardless of the result. They knew that the day before the game. My guess is that the Timbers played some backups to let their main players rest, or at least took their foot of the gas.

4. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, pretty much all but one of our starters played at one point during the match. We used all of our subs, but I'm telling you, the Timbers were a poor side and the City Stars played very well. It had nothing to do with who played, because frankly our subs are capable of much better that what they did. It was like Timbers 08 all over again.

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what to make of this club. Lose at minnesota then win at Portland. It seems as if the talent is there but the consistency isn't.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something we have noticed as Timbers fans. When new players or clubs come in to play at PGE for the first time, they usually over perform. They are excited and energized by the atmosphere in the stadium.

7. deltaforce

deltaforce New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Season finale: Portland 2 : Cleveland 1

I have to say that Cleveland fans should be proud of the effort their team gave last night. I hope the City Stars are back in USL1 next year but if they're not than I hope you thrive in USL2. There is some talent on this squad.

8. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to wonder if the sudden burst of good performance could be in part because the season was about to be over and the players were less stressed.

------RM

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it could be that our opponents had nothing to play for either.

10. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or maybe guys were excited to hear that the club might be moving out of Cleveland?

in all honesty, I'd absolutely hate to see that happen...hopefully the club can stay put

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those visiting Portland for these games didn't seem too confident about the future of the club in Cleveland.

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a chance that the team could move. The rumor is if the group from Indiana buys the team then they'll move them to Elkhart.

Who knows if that would even happen, but I don't know how Elkhart could be a better market than Cleveland.

13. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they're dillusional if they think a niche, youth soccer market is going to power the club in Elkhart

honestly, the demise of the shitty stars was like the perfect storm...you guys were solid from top to bottom and had strong (and growing) support at Krenzler (sp)

Renne leaves, raids the club, club moves up a bit too soon, new coach is an ass, GM leaves. etc...just way too much to happen in such a short time

I feel bad for you guys if you lose the club...not having you in the league just won't be the same

14. CrewFan1

CrewFan1 New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Elkhart??? Why? Their economy has been dead for a while. Why don't all of us on here pull our money together and just buy the team :)

15. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not that worried about the team moving. It just doesn't make sense for the team to move to Indiana. Yeah, Elkhart isn't far from South Bend, but South Bend isn't that big. And outside of Notre Dame, I don't think the city could support another sports team. There's a low level minor league baseball team, but that's it.

It was always my guess that the Canadian group was the group that wanted to move the team. But the rumor is the team has been sold so we should be seeing something soon.

16. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully they'll keep CSS.tv going :D

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. If this group was from Indianapolis, I'd be more concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian group is the Ottawa Fury organization.

To be honest, at this point, I'd like to see City regroup in USL-2 at Krenzler and then move back up when the team is really able, but, if the new ownership can handle it straight out of the box, I'd love to see some USL-1 soccer in Cleveland at an acceptable stadium (read: not Bedford).

18. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MSN has been running a series on how decrepit Elkhart is due to the economic times. Turns out the city's economy is based on RVs.

19. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, with the league in limbo, we could very well see some sort of hybrid mix of USL1 and USL2 eastern teams in a single division next season depending on the TOA plans...I'd hate to see Clevo sell out before the current owners have a chance to become more viable under a new league structure...

Ultra, have you heard anything new about the USL?