We throw in the towel on Syria

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jul 20, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Probably the right move. Probably later than it should have been. Given the impossible mission, we probably should never have gotten in in the first place.

But there's a gnawing feeling that Trump is pulling out because he wants to make Putin happy.

So I'm not sure how to feel about this.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #somuchwinning #tiredofwinning

@JamieBMoore

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It balances out the fail over Ukrane.

Time to give Putin back the properties that Obama stole from him.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'd like to see how they define "Syrian rebels" . Does that include the loosely defined Kurdish-Arab alliance in the Northeast of the country? Those are technically non state forces and could be considered rebels, even though they're not fighting Assad.

Either way having less US involvement there is probably the right thing. I'll give Trump a pass on this, even though his motivations are not in Syria's interest.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess Uncle Vlad will tell us what do when Assad drops sarin on the rebels.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do Nasing

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys. The program is ending for the wrong reasons, but it's still ending. We're not getting involved in another decades-long civil war. We're not making enemies out of the losing side, or the side we opposed. This is a good thing, and if Obama had done it, I would have applauded him.

The question I have is what Trump got out of it. He's a transactional man, and cares a lot about deficits of all stripes. Now that we're losing these billions in revenue, what did we get in return? If the American people got nothing, what did Trump get personally?

flowergirl, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Who knows if this is over. This operation in SW Syria was a joint US-Jordanian operation. While Jordan won't continue this alone it would continue this if it believes it is in its best interest and gets the support of a benefactor Turkey/Saudi Arabia/Gulf State. None of these nations are supposed to pass on American arms without permission but I'm sure that they all could do so without consequences from the current administration.