We have lost one of the good guys.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Thanks, guys. I don't come on BigSoccer much anymore but I knew this would be a time worth doing it.

2. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    R.I.P Chico

4. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's beautiful to see dormant DCU fans who've been out of touch with the club and dormant DC BigSoccer posters who haven't posted in years come out of the woodwork to pay their respects. It's amazing to see how many people Chico touched in the DCU family. There won't be another one like that maybe ever.

7. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    Well by now we've all cried. Let's laugh.

I had known Chico for about 3 years when we got to MLS Cup in LA in 2004. I didn't just know him. We had been, I thought, really good friends.

Anyway, after almost missing our flight out of BWI due to some pre trip beers at Kilroys and then waiting forever in the long rental car line once we landed, we finally got to our hotel at about 1am.

All we wanted to do was check in and get some shut eye before what was obviously going to be no sleep for most of our trip.

Chico booked the rooms for four of us and put one of the rooms in my name. I gave the clerk my ID and he said that they didn't have a room. Immediately I turn to Chico to figure out the hell was going on.

He swears he booked a room for himself and a room for Bob Scruggs.

"Bob Scruggs", I questioned him.

"That's not my last name. We hang out all the time and you don't know my freaking name?!"

That joke never got old and when he would leave things in my name again, it was always the same. Always a joke.

Chico was everything that people are saying about him and more. He was one of my best friends.

Ok I'm crying again. I'm a wimp. Just needed to post on this thread.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bastard. You just got me crying again.

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought you guys were gonna get married from how much you hung out haha

And I thought your name was Bob Scruggs too, now I know where I got it from :eek:

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought you were Bob Scruggs until a few years ago. :)

11. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    When I covered your back in the Barra once, I thought I was helping out Bob Sruggs, what the hey...

I tried to cover Chico's back once, he told me in no uncertain terms that he could handle the whole dozen of them. And lo and behold they backed off. It was a good thing too, because he saved my neck! :)

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    few of tribute pics from our photographer and UnitedMania

[​IMG]

12th min

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    13th min

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jerseys on front rail - Bolivia, The Strongest, DCU

14. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I'm going to ramble on for a bit because I'm still numb that he's gone. I met him a few times in the early years of DCU as I went to a ton of games. Couldn't have met a nicer person, very passionate, very friendly and a giant of a man. Someone you immediately respected upon meeting him and someone you looked forward to seeing.

Marriage and a son came along and unfortunately, I don't get to many games. But we kept the friendship going here and on Facebook. If I was watching a sporting event and would post about it on facebook, chances are Chico was watching the same game and we'd talk about it. Me, Chico and four or five other friends on facebook had a fantastic discussion during the Masters golf playoff a couple weeks ago. No matter where you were, at RFK, at a bar watching a match or on the computer, Chico made you smile.

Both of us loved college sports. He loved Michigan football and Georgetown basketball. I remember him being stuck at work during the Hoyas Big East tournament this year and me and a couple others were facebook messaging him the score and what went down. His team lost but he appreciated our efforts. He knew I loved Maryland sports. I had wanted to go to a Georgetown hoops game with him but I was working sidelines taking Maryland basketball pics and our schedules unfortunately didn't match. I regret not being able to hit a Hoyas game with him as I know that would have been tremendous fun.

Chico Solares - Only fitting that there are letters in his name that can spell out CLASS.

15. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I think I knew Chico for a decade without knowing his full name. I think I first learned it when we became friends on Facebook.

16. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Surge, thanks for posting. Living in Fairfax County I got blacked out of the game because we don't have CSN+ evne though my cable guide said the game was going to be on. I was pissed to miss the match, but I still raised a Fosters Oil Can in his memory and drank it while I bi+ched at the Cox people on the phone.

R.I.P. Chico.

Great job by the supporters last night!

17. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    wow. i havent been to a game since 2004, but for a fwe years i went to 6 or 7 games a season. talk about scared. i was dateing a Chilean girl and convinced her to go, but we didnt know a soul at the Barra tailgate. Chico was one of the first dudes we met, and just totally made us feel safe and welcome. thats why we kept coming back. stuff has gotten in the way, work, family, etc, i guess thast they way of the world, but hell i didnt think Chico was old or sick or anything. im just in shock, and i wish he knew how he made a rookie soccer fan with a West Virginian accent into a complete DC United fanatic. You'll be missed dude.

18. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Chico was never anything but nice to me whether here or in Lot 8. Although I didn't know him well, I saw him at every game and he always had a beer and a smile. He represents what we should all aim to be as fans and as people.

RIP brother

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This is not bad place to post either so we're not just limited to facebook.

20. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    Chico update:

There will be a service on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at Saint Mary's Catholic Church at 11:00am with a small gatering after the service. I imagine people will be going to Kilroys afterwards.

5222 Sideburn Road
    Fairfax VA 22032

There will be a gathering to Honor Chico at the Elk's Club in Fairfax on Route 50 on Saturday, April 28, 2012 from noon to 5pm.

Not yet finalized:

Kilroys in Springfield will be throwing a Luau party for Chico in the next few weeks. I will post when that is finalized.

Thanks

21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have been raised Catholic, gone to a Catholic boys HS, etc.; but I will never get over the church names. St. Mary of Sorrows. Our Mother of Perpetual Agony. St. Pius of Non-stop Head Trauma. Was it to prep us for discipline from the brothers and nuns?

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen and obey! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3HXdqNWIM"]70's Comedy Sister Mary Elephant - YouTube[/ame]

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still miss him. Which makes me feel kind of selfish.

I can't imagine what Carlos and his mom must be going through right now, and I'm pitying myself

24. zanna

zanna New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Chico embodied the energy and the love that our Barra Family has been built on. I have so many fond memories of Chico, as does everyone else that was also fortunate enough to know him. He welcomed everyone into his presence. How many of us can say, “Chico made me feel like I was family,” when we talk about why we joined Barra?
    Chico tended to us. He remembered things and asked about them next time he saw you. If you were new, he would be especially welcoming. If you were going through a rough time, he would keep up with you privately. If you were starting a new venture, he would encourage you and make sure you were confident enough to follow your dreams. If you were being harassed, Chico would defend you. If you were broke, Chico would make sure your needs (and your beer tab) were covered. He might have some less than polite things to point out about supporters of other teams – until he met the person and then he had a new friend.
    There was some drama going on at a tailgate and Chico smiled, shook his head and said he didn’t know what to make of the argument. He knew what it was about, but he wouldn’t take a side. He made a comment about not being God and not being qualified to judge. Chico offered beers to everyone around, “Cheers! Salud! Vamos United!”
    My sad heart is full of love and appreciation for Chico. I am thankful for the care and friendship he gave me and for the care he gave to everyone (E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E) he met.
    I think the way for La Barra Brava to honor Chico is to take care of each other the way he has been taking care of us. That kind of unconditional love would make Chico happy.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this thread after just hearing the passing of Chico, a supporter of his teams and apparently the best guy to have in your corner.
    I knew of him only from the threads but I somehow knew he was pure class as hincha men live life.

Regards a su familia desde Houston Texas.