We have a new tenant

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by mbar, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the stories, but most of them sounded like idiotic risks of life and limb! That's macho sports, though!

Kirk Gibson homer was different - hobbling up to the plate to hit an epic homer was reasonable but so entertaining. Still remember that, I lived in LA at the time.

2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree that some are idiotic. However, the article left off the guttsiest, most mind over body finish, I ever saw, Judy Moss in the 1982 Ironman Triathlon. It's on YouTube.

ragbone and Geneva repped this.
  3. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what field looked like after the Chargers game?

4. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just got back from the Chargers game, some quick observations:
    • The middle of the field looks really worn
    • The large video board is using the same ratio as the Galaxy, the two sides have info and only the middle shows the game
    • The prison yard had food trucks in it, but was mostly empty - it looks ugly. They need some trees or something. You have to enter the stadium to get into it.
    • There were few lines for concessions -EVERY register was open and fully staffed. So many times at G's games I go for a beer and nachos and it takes them 10 minutes to fill the order. Not today, service was quick.
    • I haven't been to a pro football game in a decade, man is it boring. Timeout, run up the middle for one yard, tv timeout, run up the middle for one yard, incomplete pass, timeout. Maybe it's just that the Chargers and Saints are that bad...but it was so slow
    • Overall I think the Galaxy do a better job with Stub Hub, the fireworks, the halftime turn off the lights, the supporters groups chanting etc. Today made me really appreciate the soccer experience.

FlapJack, JDogindy, TOAzer and 11 others repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It at least looked better on tv yesterday. Far fewer empty sections of seats.

I'm pretty steamed about the "prison yard". I loved that grass area for tailgating and just seems so ugly and useless now. By far the worst thing to come from this Chargers relationship so far.

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't (and won't) be watching Charger games nor will I be in attendance. Please explain to me what the "prison yard" is?

TOAzer, barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  7. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The middle of the field looked really bad last night. Hope they can maintain it better.

8. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The prison yard, I assume, is the LARS tailgate area that has been enclosed by ugly fences. I won't be watching any charger games either except the Raider game on New Years Eve which I will attend to the detriment of my wallet.

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I noticed that walking in from lot 13 before the last game. It looked awful. I assumed it was due to the ongoing construction on the grass berm area.

What possessed them?

10. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it was to provide space inside the stadium grounds that could accommodate the new restrooms and food stands that were in the renovation plans since there really isn't room on the south side.

11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Had an interesting experience related to the Charger game yesterday that may be a cautionary tale if you buy tickets from 3rd parties.

A friend had 4 tickets fed-exed to him by a vendor his company buys millions of product from annually. This is normal in his business and his company has no issues with this. We got to StubHub and we're told that while our tickets were real, they had already used by someone else. We were nicely redirected by the staff to the ticket resolution window were after about 5 minutes we were told the tickets had been reported lost or stolen by the vendor's company (the season ticket holder of record). Since the vendor's company had overnighted them, this was clearly not the case. But non-the-less the tickets were no longer valid. I was amazed, however, that real tickets with the hologram can be invalidated like that.

Since none of us were Charger fans, and my wife has an annual CSUDH parking pass, we weren't out anything except for out time. We ended up going out for dinner and had a much better time than we would have at the game. Now had this been a Galaxy game, I would have been really upset.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to the hologram ticket issue, remember that your genuine season ticket booklet tickets are invalidated if you e-mail copies thru the the ticket manager program. So "real" paper tickets are not sacrosanct.

13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The grass was great for kicking the ball around. Sucks they poured concrete over it. Also, picnics are better on grass.

I'm socking away money now for that Raider game.

Glad I already have tix for the G's on Sunday.

L.A. Native repped this.
  14. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I noticed yesterday.

1. You can get a full meal at Atlanta's stadium for the price of a beer at StubHub.
    2. Even with 30,000 seats, the Chargers didn't sell out. If anything, it was 65/35 Dolphins fans.

hav77 and shelbo repped this.
  15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes but does Atlanta's beer keep your hands warm on a chilly night? Does it give your overworked taste buds a well-earned rest? These luxuries come at a price.

It's okay. The Chargers sold out enough on January 12, 2017 to last a lifetime.

TrickHog, skydog, The Cadaver and 5 others repped this.