We are tanking the season for the draft… Right??

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Stilger, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after following the Lakers the last four seasons and the Clippers for decades before that it is clear the Galaxy FO is demanding the team tank games to get a high draft pick in order to save the franchise. After all, what else could the highly intelligent think tank that makes player decisions be planning?

So I guess my first question is, what future superstar player that is going to turn the team around overnight are we targeting with this pick? As I don’t follow college soccer I have no idea. My second question is, did we remember not to trade the pick away?

;)

hav77 and Geneva repped this.
  2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last place is often first place in allocation order, too - when those superstars like Pulisic decide they are coming back to play in MLS. Insert wink face here.

Unfortunately I suppose the chintzy expansion team will be standing in line right in front of us the WHOLE time.

WarGalaxy and shelbo repped this.
  3. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've been trying to find stuff about the draft but there isn't very much right now. One of the top players is a central defender from Stanford. There's also an older (European) right back from Louisville I think.

Geneva repped this.
  4. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, lets just hope there are TWO superstars in this draft, or Chivas II screws up their pick.

Geneva repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a time when the draft was a much more important component of building a roster. Not so much anymore, and certainly not worth tanking for.

GalaxyKoa, shelbo, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. MLS isn't like the NBA where every so often you can land a team-defining player in the draft. First, with 11 players on the field no one player can dominate the way one player can do that in the NBA, and secondly, no players coming out of the US college soccer system are that good.

The Cadaver, rokstedy and shelbo repped this.
  7. scrwatcher

scrwatcher New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, the draft is getting thinner, but to say there are no good players in it, or ones that are not that dominant is just a incorrect generalization. How about Larin, Vincent, Morris, Roldan, Harrison, etc. In fact, sometimes I would argue, the rigors of school, soccer, growing up away from home, and travel actually builds character,...the character needed to overcome adversity and persevere. Those players who stand out in strong D1 conferences, with the right professional coaching and opportunities, might have the hunger to continue progressing. College also eventually weeds out those who don’t have the mental fortitude to overcome other players and competitors who have as much talent. The academy system is a good effort to catch players at a younger age and develop them, and it too weeds out mentally weak players. And it still has a way to go to be the only way to find and groom players. However, some of the growing up, living away from home, and character building of choices presented in a college environmemight also be missed. Are all college programs good, no. But, in 2018, to write off all college players before they have a chance to develop professionally seems unfair.

shurikt repped this.
  8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone said there are no decent players in college soccer. But I don't think there is any player in college soccer for whom it is worth tanking the season, which was where the thread started. And over time the draft has become a smaller component of building a roster, in part because there are other ways to acquire players that did not exist in earlier iterations of MLS, and in part because the sheer number of teams drafting makes any one team unlikely to get more than one MLS-ready player. The days when you could get both an Omar and an AJ in a single draft are long gone. Scouting and wise use of international spots is so much more important - and one of many areas LAG has fallen behind

skydog repped this.
  9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I wish someone had told the Galaxy.

Seriously, though the draft order used to be a major way parity was kept in the league. Do they still have the "you suck" allocations?
    It seem with the development of MLS academies, it's sucked up the gen adidas players who would have been in college soccer for a few years. Hopefully they are getting better instruction in academies than in college (at least when it comes to soccer). Wha about positions that can take longer to develop? Maybe there are still some solid college CBS, GK, #8, or maybe a #9?

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  10. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answer is no, we dropped to the bottom of the league because we are really the worst team in MLS this season. With the same FO and coaching stuff i doubt draft can save us even we have top pick two years in a row.

TrickHog repped this.