We Are Coming

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thimble Keegan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some comments about the Chicago game.

FWIW, when I take the Blue Line to the game, I park at Rosemont, change at the Clark/Lake station, and then take either the Orange or Green to Roosevelt. It's a block closer than the Red Line. Green/Orange are probably better options for South Loop hotels like the Allegro, W, Renaissance, Monaco, and a couple others.

Strip Clubs. I'm not a big expert on this, but I know Crazy Horse Re-opened as VIP's. I went to Crazy Horse once for a bachelor party, and I thought it sucked.

Tailgating. Thimble, I attended the Bayern Munich/Man U game last year with some England ex-pats who's initial reaction to tailgating was similar to yours. When the game was announced, they called my friend to see if we were planning to tailgate this game because they had so much fun doing it last year. The game is at 2, we'll probably get there at about 10 at the latest.

Cab v. El Train to hotel. The previous poster talked about hauling luggage on a busy Friday. In a cab, it's likely that you'd have been stuck in traffic. My thinking is that if you'd have a problem walking about a mile and a half with your luggage, you're better of taking a cab. If not, a train might be the better option.

You can get a train map at www.transitchicago.com. When making hotel reservations, it's a good idea to ask if they have an airport shuttle for either airport, as a previous poster mentioned.

Hopefully, unlike Man U./Bayern, one or both of the teams will attempt to score a goal. :)

2. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    I know plenty about New York. It was a joke. Chicago, City of Big Shoulders, has a serious 'Second City' chip on those shoulders when it comes to comparisons with New York*. I was just 'riffing' on that.

But if you're offering Valium, I'll take a dozen---I'm going to Mexico City next weekend for the Battle of Azteca and I'm so stoked, I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

------
    Back in the early '90's, the guys that did 'Da Bears fans' sketch on SNL interviewed the real Bears on the local NBC station after a game at Giants Stadium (vs the Jets). They asked them all sorts of questions about the Stadium like, "Were you tripping on crack vials? Did dey steal your wallets? Did dey try to shoot you wit' a gun?" The Bears players were laughing so hard they couldn't talk.

3. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I'm staying at the Renaissance, which is certainly big enough, but it doesn't appear to have an airport shuttle.

Thanks for the info. We haven't decided yet. We'll probably just see how we feel when we get to Midway.

On a side note, I'll ride a train, but you won't get this southern boy on a bus. I haven't been on a bus (other than a private charter) since I was 16 (schoolbus) and I'm not gonna start now. I know it's different up north, but we backward rednecks down here tend to look down upon bus-ridin'. :)

5. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I second this.........YOU MUST HAVE YOUR ID WITH YOU IF YOU WANT TO DRINK AT BARS! The alcohol laws in the US are totally insane and defy logic but it is one of those things you have to go along with.

6. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may or may not affect your decision, but the Renaissance Hotel is one block off the State & Lake Orange Line stop. The Orange is the line that goes to/from Midway.

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    While there are 5 Renaissance properties in Chicago, I'm assuming that you're staying at Renaissance Chicago Hotel.

Here is some information supplied by the property from Midway:
    12 miles away; 20 mins non-rush hour to drive; 35 mins rush hour to drive
    No shuttle supplied by property
    $18 for a bus (one way) (via Airport express)
    $26 for a taxi (one way) during non-rush hour (estimated)
    $1.75 for a subway (one-way)

Given this information, I think the subway is the way to go. How much luggage could you possibly be taken for a week-end?

disclaimer- may want to check with the hotel on this information.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    sorry about that - I didn't realize that M.com was pulling most of that info.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Thanks...that changes things.

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    No prob, thanks for the info.

11. Thimble Keegan

Thimble Keegan New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    It does not matter what day, booing national anthem's is bad full stop...Unless it is the Welsh.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    It looks like England will be chopped liver after all - the big guns wont be in the touring party. Yum Yum.
    So the USA will have "bragging rights" for a few years once more - like after the Boston massacre in 1993 I think it was.

13. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    "Chopped liver"...Ok.

Brag all you like if you win as I think you will find we will not care as it is only a friendly. Even if we win I will not come on these boards and say anything because it does not really matter.

I do not really give a monkeys about the result it is more about the trip as all England away friendlies are.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

14. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming the address of that Renaissance HOtel is 1 W. Wacker.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Yep...what a name! :)

16. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Yes, as the English fans really don't care about the result, I don't even expect them to cheer or make any noise if England scores.

17. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    I remember watching the US v South Africa in a bar and a table full of Scots sitting nearby who wouldn't even look at the game--completely disinterested.

Reyna scored for the US and the Scots burst out in some Rangers song about him then went back to nursing their pints and ignoring the game. Pretty funny.

18. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Is that a feeble attempt at sarcasm?

Obviously the fans at the game will cheer if England score. However the result is utterly irrelevant. You can kid yourself into thinking it is some kind of enormous match-up which will decide once and for all who is the better team if you like, but it really is just a meaningless friendly.

19. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I understand that it is a friendly, and that the result is irrelevant to England's FIFA world ranking, world cup qualifying, etc. But for the love of God, please don't kid yourself into thinking that fans completely don't care about the result. You guys are fans, for crying out loud, and you guys would rather see your team win than lose, even if it is just a friendly! I'm well aware that it's not some kind of enormous match-up that will decide once and for all who the better team is. But any honest fan will admit that he'd prefer his team to win (that's why, I suspect, the English fans might even cheer if England scores! :eek: )

20. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Maybe they will want to pick up a copy of Game of their Lives while they are here.

21. :D :D

22. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    Don't you???...I do as singing, cheering, banter is all part of the game. At the end of the game we will just shrug our shoulders and off we will go.

Unless of course we get hammered then I would imagine everyone would be pretty pissed off.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here's to hoping...

24. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    Hear, Hear...

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

25. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    As between England winning and England losing the friendly, do you have any preference at all?