We Are Coming

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thimble Keegan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Thimble Keegan

Thimble Keegan New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    Hello people, just to let you know we finally have had confirmation that we are playing a couple of games in america in late May. Me and my mates are now all booked up and are on our way over.

Any info you lot can give us such as night-life, what the women are like? Also what are the local police like, will they be tolerant of us England bearing in mind policing an England game is a completely different situation to policing one of your sporting events.

Any of you going to the games in May?

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Women, in Chicago... me likey. Police in Chicago... well history says one thing (cough cough Daley cough cough), but they are alright. They'll probably have a meeting over "hooligans" though, so best be on your best behaviour.

Downtown Chicago has great nightlife, and their are a bunch of pubs and other small bars basically anywhere you go in the city... even parts of the suburbs too. Soldier Field is right on the lake too (Lake Michigan), so you could make a day out of the match there, including Grant Park and such.

And yeah, I'll be going.

3. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    The subject of hooligans is a strange one as now there are very few fans that will turn up to cause trouble unless the are real rivals in evidence, such as Scotland, Germany, Holland, etc. Let's face it, america are hardly up there in hooligan terms so the trouble instigators will stay at home. But...What the England travelling support still have in their ranks is many, many people who will get involved if there is slightest hint of aggro kicking-off.

These incidents can happen with the smallest spark, believe me, I have seen this myself. Such occurances are mainly the locals wanting to test themselves against the English as we are seen as the top dogs in the hooligan world. The problem is there is a disticnt difference between hooligans and normal fans which the opposition do not understand and just see every English person as fair game...This leads to innocent fans getting attacked.

Another thing is the local police not being prepared for the English way of supporting and being heavy handed. This is what worries me the most as your police need to understand what we are like.

We just like going away having a laugh and getting pissed.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this trip, should be good.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

4. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Great nightlife in both towns. Chicago has many nice places not far from the stadium. American women like men with English accents. It is hard to predict the security but I am optimistic. If past internationals in Chicago are any indicator, flags, drums and so on should be let in, but we here in Chicago have spent endless time trying to divine this ourselves. I don't anticipate any trouble between English and American fans at all. It should be good fun and maybe, good football as well.

I think the police outside the stadium will be tolerant of English fans. If you don't bother them they will not bother you. Chicago police are very professional.

The security at Soldier Field is under a couple of categories. Chicago Fire fans have been pestered a lot by a security company with ties to a powerful Hispanic alderman, but things have improved of late. They don't want fans to STAND on the delicate imported Australian seats (I don't know why this country has to import everything) but you can stand on the concrete and sing all you like. Beer is sold at 6 dollars a pint in the stadium. Tailgate in the parking lot and you can drink what you like at bottle store prices. There are liquor stores about 1 1/2 kilometers to the West on State Street. You have to go out of your way to get to State Street due to the configuration of the lakefront, part of the famous "Burnham Plan."

The stadium is located in a lovely part of the city. You can walk downtown or vice versa, right past Grant Park and some eye-popping vistas. The neighborhood around the stadium is very safe; it is part of the "Museum Complex" which includes the splendid Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium.

5. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cops in America won't put up with that stuff. They have guns over here, and they ain't scared to use them. As long as you guys come in peace, there should be no problems.Remember after 9/11,its pretty hard to just walk into the US. Anyone with a record probably won't be allowed in.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Any England supporters have a guess on how many blokes will be making the trip to the States? Does EnglandFans have an estimate on how many?

The suckurity at Giants Stadium is VERY heavy handed. Local NJSEA thugs and NJ State Troopers have historically disliked passionate soccer fans, and will not hesitate to use their billy clubs. I've been waiting for the day when the NJ suckurity get their arses handed to them. Not that I hope a problem breaks out..... cause that would be wrong.....

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Good beer...

Hot women...

Better football...

:)

The Magpie

8. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    To reply to you all:

My only police worries are that they will not be used to us. Us English turn up in a large area and usually take the place over. We just sit and drink loads, hang our flags up, sing some songs and generally have a laugh. As long as the local police understand this there will be no problem. When we were in Holland the police just stayed out of the way and kept an eye on goings on and everything was fine...In Slovakia as soon as some drunken England fans fell over the riot police came charging in with batons and smacked anyone English. If they let us get o with our thing then we will be fine. But it seems Chicago sounds like it will be pretty cool.

I am glad the stadium let you in with flags as many England fans turn up with flags which is cool...My own flag will be in attendance.

For Woodside Mets: I see you name Celtic as one of your teams...Do yourself a favour and do not wear a Celtic shirt to any of the England games many England/Rangers fans will take great offensive and you woud at the very least get some verbal abuse.

As for our ticket allocation, we are unsure yet but I have enough loyalty points to make sure I get a ticket so I have booked the trip already.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

9. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Great to hear you're comming. I thknits guna be a fun time. Saw 3 league games in England last year myself.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    There is info here on tickets.. You might even email USsoccer using "contact us" at the bottom and see if they can give you any info, if needed, on buying from England and about an England section, etc..

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=158527&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I don't think you will have any trouble with the police when you mob up, if that is the right term. Drinking in the parking lot is legal and you have one of the best views of the city from there. Thousands of others will be there tailgating too.

I don't imagine any trouble with groups of English fans turning up at bars so long as they have enough room in the bar!

In 1994, there were thousands of German fans wandering all over and the Spaniards even closed down a street or two for a few minutes with parades. I heard of no trouble at all.

Mexican nationla team games at Soldier Field can be pretty crazy but even then, not that many arrests.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really can't imagine it'd be that many. Maybe 1000, probably less. Most England fans there will be ex-pats. It's not cheap to fly over and it is only a series of friendlies. The fact that there's a few games might bring a few more over with people deciding to make a week of it. I had a quick look at a couple of airlines, not that I think I'll be able to get any time off for then, and it was like £450 return. A lot of money for a couple of friendlies. It's not like going to Portugal, where 35,000 will make the trip.

I really don't think there'll be any trouble either. Perhaps the odd drunk in a bar, you could get that anywhere. Most trouble at England games tends to be between England fans and police anyway, more often than not through local police chiefs completely ignoring the English police's advice on how to deal with England fans and sending his force out in riot gear, lined up opposite the fans in a "come and try it if you dare" kind of pose instead.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That sounds like the NJ State Troopers to me. They are always looking for a fight.

14. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I don't think English fans will find that here. This had to have been approved pretty high up in the local government and they would not have such an event and try to have security issues. They would never allow it in the first place. For example, if they think they cannot accomodate the culture of a rock group they don't allow them to play at Soldier Field rather than have to arrest people.

Mexican fans march through Grant Park waving flags and singing on their way to the stadium and the police just keep an eye on them.

15. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    Welcome, Thimble & all England Supporters!

You gentlemen will definitely enjoy Chicago. The city is famous as a place that knows how to have a good time. The bars are open late (many until 5 am on Saturdays night, 4 am other nights) and you can still smoke cigarettes in them, unlike NYC or LA. I truly think it is the best city in America.

Do familiarize yourselves with local laws. I met a skinhead England supporter in Detroit during WC'94 who had gotten arrested for, of all things, fishing without a license! (That does not look good on a job application).

About 15 years ago, I worked as a bouncer in a Chicago punk rock club and there was a visiting British warship docked in Lake Michigan. Her Majesty's sailors told me they had a great time with no trouble at all. If Royal Navy sailors can kick up their heels with no hassles, I think you guys will feel right at home as well.

That weekend is Memorial Day weekend when we remember our fallen war dead. It's also the unofficial start to the summer season with a bank holiday on Monday, a lot of grilling food outdoors, etc. The weather is generally very nice during the day but can get a bit chilly still in the evenings.

Lake Michigan will probably be too cold to swim in for long but Oak Street Beach does have some fine looking totty sunning in swim suits and midwestern girls are charmed by British accents, whether Pierce Brosnan or Johnny Rotten. They don't know the difference. (Don't use the word 'c*nt' though; that's a majorly bad word.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing all of you on Michigan Avenue this summer.

En-Ger-Land! U-S-A! F*** Yeah!

16. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good bars? how about Kitty O'sheas' within walking distance from soldier field, or Gingers ale house... or the globe... good football bars...

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Okay, next American using the word bloke gets smacked.

Moving on...Chicago & NY are good towns. Though, of all the things to look forward to in the USA, I would say the chicks at the Colombia game has to be up there. There are tons in north jersey, and they are worth the price of admission alone.

Keep in mind though, the stadium in Chicago is pretty centrally located, and you're a short cab ride from good places. It's great. In NY, the stadium is across the river, in the middle of nowhere. It sucks. You can go for the game, but you can't plan to "do" anything there other than watch it & leave. But, at least you are only 20 mins from midtown, where you will find every Irish bar not currently in Ireland.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Gee, I can't imagine that Nevada Smiths will be used as a base of operations for the Queen's Army when invading NYC.... again.....

19. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I thought you & Ant'ny were the Queens Army?

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The other Queens Army...... ;)

21. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    does anyone know which hotel the British team will stay ?, is it the one close to the stadium ?

22. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    What in the world is the "British team"?

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

23. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you aren't bringing any Scottish players?

24. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    Not in the England team, no...Anyway if they were allowed to play in the England team I could not think of one that would get in the team.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

25. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    rep for the man from the BX.
    i most likely will fly out to chicago game. but i would have loved to see english army walking around in new york, i think i'll call out of work just to see that.
    jamison's right about the colombian chix, and it's gonna be hot too (hopefully).
    good luck to both teams, this is gonna be fun.