WCQ: Turkey - Switzerland [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Let's extend our unbeaten streak to 15!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Magnin is suspended for Istanbul. I don't think it will hurt us, Spycher or Wicky can take his place...

2. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Let's put Wicky at left back so Köbi can play Behrami from start

3. rodoman

rodoman New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Waterford, Ireland
    The best of luck to the Swiss team for the return leg against Turkey. You're a good team, and deserve to be in Germany 2006

4. Lager Lout

Lager Lout Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Bern
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The important thing to do is not to concede an early goal.

Bring Spycher in for the suspended Magnin. Play Streller as a lone striker (to hold the ball up), drop Frei and bring Lonfat into a defensive midfield role.

But what do I know? - I'm not Swiss!!!

LL

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Agreed.
    I don't know Lager...

1. Streller didn't fully convince me (I think I prefer Vonlanthen for the time being)

2. I think we should stick to two forwards. If we score one it's basically over.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge win!!!!

Switzerland [2 - 0] Turkey
    40' [1 - 0] P. Senderos
    86' [2 - 0] V. Behrami

Great way for Behrami to open his NT play. Up 2-0 is much better than I ever anticipated.

I imagine that the Swiss will come out cautious. One goal would finish the Turks.

7. Lager Lout

Lager Lout Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Bern
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "1. Streller didn't fully convince me (I think I prefer Vonlanthen for the time being)"

Me neither - but I don't think Vonlanthen is the sort of player who could hold the ball up and slow the pace of the game.

LL

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And that is exactly what happened today...

Hundreds of Turkish supporters came to the airport to whistle, boo, and curse at the Swiss delegation. They even brought their "Welcome to Hell" banner. But that was only the beginning. The airport personnel purposely worked extra slow and delayed the team close to two and a half hours at customs. Apparently Frei's passport was looked at for about twenty minutes. It then took another hour of waiting, again under cursing and gestures, to claim the baggage. By the time the entire delegation got on the bus it was rush hour and the evening training had to be cancelled. There was further delay due to the bus being pelted with tomatos, eggs, and stones. All in all a very disrespectful welcome. How Fatih Terim had the nerve to complain about the conditions in Switzerland is beyond me.

I guess Terim and the Turkish boulevard press succeded in artificially riling up the public.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SFV will file a complaint with FIFA.

As a comparison, when the Turkish delegation arrived in Geneva it took them less than 30 minutes to leave the airport.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When we played down there a few years ago in the Euro 2000 playoff, they stuck us in Bursa. It really was "hell" - the lads had to travel by bus from Istanbul through an earthquake zone. We ended up losing on away goals. At least that won't be on the cards for you on Wednesday.

Best of luck, seeing Switzerland do well makes me feel a little better about losing out to you.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks. Good luck regrouping for 2008.

I just hope we'll get to do our training sessions in peace, and won't be delayed going to the stadium on matchday.

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. At lest Ireland and Switzerland will not be in the same group for 2008!

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Back to the sportive aspects...

Kuhn stated today that Spycher will start instead of Magnin. What I would like to see:

---------------Zuberbühler--------
    --P. Degen---Senderos---Müller----Spycher
    ----Barnetta-------Vogel--------Wicky
    ---------------Cabanas------------
    -------Vonlanthen-------Frei-------

Start Wicky on the left, and switch Barnetta to the right.

15. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich

How cute "Hurren Kinder", "Hurren Son Frei", Ich ficke ihre Mutter" and welcome to Istanbul hell, what a bunch of inbred people. :rolleyes:

I hope you beat the ******** out of them. :cool:

P.S Schwytzerdütsch sounds funny :D

16. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    The swiss team got flowers from the Fenerbahce youth team. Now that is more like it ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    :)

yeah the flowers compensates for...
    -deliberate delays at the airport.
    -angry mob with banners and threats
    -bus being bricked constantly along the route to hotel
    -bus taking so long to get to hotel the training session had to be cancelled.
    -media incitement.

those 3 bunches of flowers will stop them complaining to FIFA I bet.
    haha

18. Manny

Manny New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Denmark
    - no you can complain about that, but it had nothing to do with the turkish football federation.

- Banners are a part of football. I don't see the problem.

- It was eggs, not bricks.

- Istanbul is a huge city. Have you ever heard of traffic jams?

- The swiss media has been as bad as the turkish media.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    To be fair, Turkish FA president Levent Bicalkes came to apologize in person to the hotel. From what I understand he was very embarrased about the incidents at the airport. I don't know how closely the Turkish association coordinates vistor arrival with the authorities, but that is where I see the blame (at the authorities in question.) I honestly don't care much about the hecklers, it's the passport "delay" and luggade "problem" as well as the questionable security that I find ridiculous.
    I wouldn't say that, despite the fact that Terim looked for confrontation with the Swiss media from day one.
    Understood everything? :D

20. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Just a quick note from another Irishman to apologise for the couple of posts i sent in the past about Switzerland not being a good side and only making it here due to Ireland underperforming. That was a great result and performance on Sat.
    I'd be very doubtful if we could have won that game (Ireland). Besta luck tomo!!

Yeah as Pmannion said playoff trips to Turkey can be hell, at the end of our playoff in 2000 a policeman attacked our striker Tony Cascorino (who tho wasnt completely innocent didnt deserve a bloody head cause by a truncheon!!!) and a number of other players in the tunnel!!!

However we didnt go there with a 2-0 lead. You showed against us and France that you are well able to defend so Id be shocked if you didnt join Spain, Czechs, Uruguay and Bahrain (arggghhhhh!!!! how???) in Germany

21. keehyunan

keehyunan BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 9, 2005
    California
    i've heard of worse hospitalities than that
    i don't know if anyone cares about the asian cup, but during the finals, the chinese hosts were booing during the japanese national anthem,
    now that delibrately attacks the nation's pride,

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks, and once again the best of luck to the Boys in Green. I'd be great to have ya at Euro 2008.
    See, I don't really care about anthem whistling or heckling. The Turkish fans can lose their voice tomorrow whistling our anthem for all I care. I don't cling myself to patriotic symbols like the flag or anthem. Hey, as far as I'm concerned they burn a huge pile of Swiss flags if they want to. It's disrespectful and might upset others, but as long as the players are safe, it doesn't bother me.

No, what pisses me off is when the authorities start playing games...

23. keehyunan

Nov 9, 2005
    California
    because my team (korea) has an easier access to the world cup than the other nations do, i never knew how it must feel if your country gets disqualified from the biggest tournament of the year,.
    well, cheer up Green Boys, you guys could prove yourselves in South Africa.

24. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Plenty of European countries (see those near mine) are known for doing this at every game!!! Its unfortunate but hard to prevent.

25. keehyunan

Nov 9, 2005
    California
    not to mention, the darn hooligans.