WCQ: Mexico v Panama 9/1/2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Miguel Myers, Jul 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Vela had the necessary vision to spot Tecatito's run and pass the ball to him. Considering the rough conditions of the pitch, I have no doubt he can play a better pass if it wasn't raining harshly.

Guys like Vela, Gio and Jona will never lose abilities like vision and technical skill. It is mostly the matter of motivation and playing form from those guys now.

JJV1994, revilla18 and SGuerrilla repped this.
  2. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    might as well just ask Cuauhtemoc to come back, after all he still should have that "vision" using your logic.

3. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I would call Cuau back but he's done. I doubt he can play 20 minutes of international play.

JJV1994 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  4. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Great post. [emoji122]

revilla18 and TGO repped this.
  5. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Sounds like Giovani, the guy looked gassed after 5 minutes when he was subbed in against Portugal

DankYummy repped this.
  6. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Giovani is done with the NT, at least our A team he is. He's been very average in Carson, and pretty fragile as well. I'd only play him in moleros and Gold Cups. But Jona and Vela can still contribute to the A team.

SGuerrilla and TGO repped this.
  7. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Gio has phoned it in. I was a big supporter in him but I can admit his playing form has dropped. Out of the 3, he is easily the laziest. I still have hope that Vela and Jona aren't too trashed by the time the WC starts. That is why I still want to see them with Mexico in these games like this. Give them something to fight for.

JJV1994 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  8. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How does that give them something to fight for if they're slotted into the XI? Sounds like they're given a pass.

DankYummy repped this.
  9. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Really? You never know with Juan Carlos "rotations" Osorio. His XI changes almost every game.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  10. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That didn't answer the question to the scenario

DankYummy repped this.
  11. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Jona is still top 3 on our mids, so he ain't being given a free pass. If anything, Dueñas is being given a free pass.

Vela is still playing abroad, so that makes him viable no questions asked. He is still better than Aquino and any other Liga MX winger at this point. Thus, no free pass.

SGuerrilla and TGO repped this.
  12. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I believe it does.

Osorio doesn't have a set XI at all. What makes you think that they are "slotted into the XI?" If anything, it's hard to say with Osorio as manager on whether which player plays at a given moment.

I mean, I want to think both Jona and Vela can be called up in the future 23 man list. I hope both Vela and Joan continue to get called up. Since the arrival of Jona at the GC (2015), he is easily the best midfielder Mexico has right now. Almost the same with Vela too. He's within the prominent attacking options Mexico has right now too.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  13. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gtfo with "he's still playing abroad"
    He's not in RS initial XI, and he will be given more time cuts as his departure date approaches.

Lukato and DankYummy repped this.
  14. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That only puts them in the same case as the other regulars. Not calling them at all would be their wake up to not phone it in, even though it's pretty inevitable...

TGO, Lukato and DankYummy repped this.
  15. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Depends on how well the team does on the attack. If they continue to play well, then you may be right. But if they don't, then I'm thinking Vela will get much time to play.

TGO repped this.
  16. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    because Osorio always plays every player in the call up, he doesn't always start with the same guys but he plays everyone at the end, there is no internal competition so there is nothing to fight for, let's assume that the game against Panama was or best XI, under normal circumstances the guys on the bench would break their asses in training to get in the XI against Costa Rica, with Osorio that doesn't happen, the guys that stayed on the bench all will start the next game or at least be subbed in.

TGO and DankYummy repped this.
  17. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I would agree with you 100% if it wasn't for Osorio wacky methods.

I have to go back on my word and agree with @Lukato here:

I don't blame the players. I blame Osorio -- on him keep calling up a Giovani that is clearly in vacation mode.

If Osorio is true to his methods, he will call up Vela and Jona nonetheless. Or I hope he does. If he doesn't, he is even more looney tunes than I thought he already is.

===========

I already made my opinion about Osorio a long time ago. He should have been kicked to the curb after that horrific Chile game. I tried to give the dude a chance at the Confeds and yet, he is still crazy-ier than ever.

18. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What it's going to come down to, at least in this World Cup, is not what our coach does. It'll be up to how badly our players want to get past the R16. If they want it bad enough, they will get it. I have no confidence in Osorio when facing anyone outside of CONCACAF, but I still have hope for our players that may still be hungry for glory on the int'l stage.

TGO repped this.
  19. revilla18

revilla18 Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Exactly.... they all still have the skill... it's just their motivation. Moving to the MLS shows that they have none whatsoever.

Maybe they might still have some motivation for the national team, but it's hard to believe with their stupid decisions.

Richy_Rich and Lukato repped this.
  20. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lack of eggs/ambition is not the reason Mexico has failed to reach the fifth game for twenty straight years.

LGRod, megadeath and DankYummy repped this.
  21. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    Some of it has been bad luck. The nads made it by beating us in 2002, but they have also never eliminated a world power in the knockout stages (that 1950 fluke don't count and England is not that much of a world power ). We always get the tough teams (Germany, Argentina, Holland). The one realistic shot we had was against Bulgaria and the coach screwed the pooch on that one.

JJV1994 and LGRod repped this.
  22. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Same story after almost every WC

23. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That Bulgaria team was nasty.

24. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The real realistic shot was 2010. Beat Uruguay and we get a bad South Korea and then Ghana.

JJV1994, Otaku and LGRod repped this.
  25. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We had the Dutch on the ropes but our bench was ass and Gallito was suspended.

IMO 2014 Vela was the missing piece.
    Sadly with his recent move to the MLS one year before the WC. He solidifies himself as one of the biggest teases in Mexican Football history.

Truly heartbreaking for us Tri fans. :(

DankYummy and thedragonrik58 repped this.