[WCQ] Japan vs. Bahrain [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by shuvy87, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I was hoping for a draw between Japan and Bahrain, but congratulations to Japan anyway. Leaving aside the "rivalry" stuff, my preference at the end of the day is to see the following standings:

1-IRAN
    2-Japan
    3-Bahrain
    4-N.Korea

Despite hating Bahrain for ruining Iran's qualification for the 2002 World Cup, I like them eventually to be the Asian representative against Concacaf. I think Bahrain are a decent enough team, notwithstanding the unsportsmanlike behavior they have shown in some games against Iran.

2. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    oh I forgot to complete my sentence. He was good yesterday so that's why I said when was the last time he was that good.

3. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    I actually would like them eliminated by the 3rd team from the other group (Uz). They play dirty football, and their grassrolling tactics which are common against all oponents once they score 1 goal, is simply amateurish and lame.

4. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    although I wasn't convinced with Japan's performance, I'm so happy the way Bahrain screwed. Pack, counter, grassroll, then own goal. they really deserve it

way to go!

5. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Congragulations JAPAN! I hope your team and Iran qualifies and dirty Bahrain ends up in third. Good to see that Bahrain scored an own goal and Japan ended up with the W. They are a much better and classier team than Bahrain, and will represent Asia with pride. I know you guys can do it!

6. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Am I the only one who is freaking angry about this match? 1-0? At home? An own-goal? Japan needs to get something done, and I think it rhymes with Chico and that person needs to be fired. This is totally unacceptable for Japan, especially in a WCQ! I don't care what Zico or players will say about getting the win, Japan should be playing much better, otherwise we are going to barely get to Germany (if we get there at all), and when we arrive at Germany we will be crushed playing this way.

Maybe Confed cup will knock some sense into the team.

7. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    wow bahrain shouldve drawn
    that was the wierdest own goal

8. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Does anyone have clips? Now you got me interested.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Emphasis on 'Blah.'

Are we sure Zico's full name isn't Sinead Kilkenny O'Zico? The man seems to be insanely lucky as a manager, or at least highly skilled at failing upwards.

10. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    No, that was the Mother of Own Goals. I mean he was looking backward at his own net, under some pressure, but mesmerized he kicks it right in. Japan's luck is incredible.

11. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's more of a 苦戦

12. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Just saw the own goal. What a classy finish :D

13. maria_s

maria_s New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    E139°42/N35°32
    Fuji TV indicated 辛勝 and I presume it was correct...

14. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ya... that's the right word.

15. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Where is the clip?

16. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Holy crap. What a skin of the teeth win.

17. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I agree with those sentiments. Putting aside elegance of football (so called ideal total football) I think Bahrain is a very competitive side in its particular skillset. Sometimes what a team needs is a gutsy performance on a big stage (kind of like what Greece did in Euro2004) and I think Bahrain has the greatest potential to do that better than any other Asian side. Defend well and counter well, that's a team that could really surprise any opponent on their day, more so than Iran, Korea or Japan at the moment.

18. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    This own goal was pretty weird. There comes a own goal that a player accidently heads the ball into the goal, or the ball bumps into a player and goes in, then theres he shoot it without looking at the goal, and it enters, then he sees the goal, but he shoots and trips and somehow it goes in, but this one was weird. It seems with all the pressure, he didnt know his exact direction, he was looking at the ball, with a Japanese player at his back, so he had to do something very quick, and as he looks at the ball, he shoots it, hes at the left side of the goal, and the ball goes straight and then turns left a bit but too late, as soon as he shoots the ball, he looks up and its an own goal. Poor guy, Ive heard he hasnt been able to get out of that own goal till now, even though hes considered as one of the best players in Bahrain.

19. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Could be worse. He could be playing for the Colombian NT.

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Better than Jeff Agoos? Better than Pat Onstead?

That's some pretty heady company.

21. SmokingMan

SmokingMan New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    A Dark Smoke-Filled
    Fagggeddaboudit. The mother of all own goals was the one scored by Yuta Minami, when he THREW the ball into his own net without any opposing players within 10 meters of him. Any other own goal doesnt even come close.

22. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    I thought of that one about a minute after my post went through.

That is tough to top.

23. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    LOL. I think there was an exact same incident in Europe...