WCQ: Honduras vs México; October 10, 2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    With all due respect, this post is awful and I don't know what your point is.

LGRod, Hecho en Chivas and Robertinho21 repped this.
  2. Robertinho21

Robertinho21 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Tujunga, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    2001 Confederations Cup was in Mexico buddy, but in all fairness i will give you that one, because that was not easy to win either way. Making it to the 2001 Copa America final and coming close means nothing if you can't win it all to begin with. Mexico winning its first ever U-17 cup was historic, but that is a youth tournament buddy.........and how did that work for us??? Mexico winning the Olympic gold medal was historic and was a good stepping stone to the next big stage (World Cup) but tell me what happened there??? Im not a cangrejo buddy, i am a realist.....................its just that you like covering the sun with one finger. Throw it at me when we make it to that 5th game at the World Cup, make it to the Finals at a World Cup..........................and or if anything winning the World Cup, that is where we would have finally achieved the ultimate glory. Russia 2018 we shall see because the jury is still out on that one............................just like the past, stay tune buddy.

3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Plus, a good chunk people here already thinks Osorio sucks and will likely be exposed badly in the WC, even costing us the group stage.

4. Robertinho21

Robertinho21 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Tujunga, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Its awful because its the truth................there is no points, its facts, and yeah it is awful, indeed.

5. Robertinho21

Robertinho21 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Tujunga, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

That is where im getting at............he has been exposed where it really does count, with real teams that have exposed us. Come this World Cup, will it be the same? I dont want it to be but man..........................we are all going to have to see.

6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm pretty sure he'll be exposed. Badly.

7. Emigomez

Emigomez Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #257 Emigomez, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I get it that people don't like his strategy , or the fact that he is a foreigner .. Who knows?

Numbers dont lie though.

Juan Carlos Osorio: 24 wins 6 draws 6 loses. win % 67 %
    Miguel Herrera : 19 wins 10 draws 7 loses. win % 52 %
    Jose Manuel de la Torre: 27 wins 12 draws 11 loses . win %: 54 %
    Javier Aguirre: 18 wins 4 draws 10 loses. win % 56%
    Hugo Sanchez: 13 wins 4 draws 9 loses. win % 50%
    Ricardo la Volpe: 32 wins 8 draws 12 loses. win % 61%
    Manuel Lapuente: 13 wins 4 draws 7 loses. win % 54%

edit: Source = transfermrkt.com

edit2: Fun sidenote - We have gotten above 60% win rate with the only 2 foreigners who coached our team since 1998: Juan Carlos Osorio and Ricardo la Volpe.

LGRod, JJV1994, Neymadres and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The 2001 Confederations Cup was in Japan/South Korea and Mexico finished last.

LGRod repped this.
  9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Most of those good numbers have been against a weak CONCACAF, though (and arguably have been thanks to Mexico's edge in talent over their competition). The team most of the time is dysfunctional, has no rhythm and has players lost in space, which have blown up on Osorio's face anytime they face someone like Germany and Chile.

10. Emigomez

Emigomez Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Every coach listed also played against weak CONCACAF teams almost as much if not more than Juan Carlos Osorio.

11. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not as weak as today's. And several of those coaches had Mexico functioning in a better fashion than Osorio, specially against better competition. At least before being figured out.

12. Emigomez

Emigomez Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The numbers dont lie though, that's your opinion. Numbers = facts. Vs Germany they had better players but the coach set up a formation where we had over 61% of the possession how can you blame him for that? Germany is the current world cup champions what else did you expect? Sometimes psychology is a big factor and if you go back and replay the germany vs mexico match you can tell that the mexican players made many mistakes they were very nervous and not confident going into that match they knew who they were going against. Asi es el futbol. Go watch the replay and watch them make amateur mistakes and choking when they normally dont. Portugal are the 2016 euro champions and we squared up with them nobody gives him credit for that it was tied 2-2 with Mexico having 61% possession .

I believe that he can do a good world cup campaign and if i had to bet based on facts (aka numbers) id put my money on him .

JJV1994 repped this.
  13. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think people need to really take a step back and really think about this "weak" perception. Honduras and Costa Rica and US have been a really strong and consistent team in the 2000s. Then it has been Panama, Jamaica, T&T as the next tier below. Those teams are not as weak as we perceived them to be, In Copa America 2015 Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina all beat Jamaica by the same score line 1-0. Jamaica has also been in back to back finals as for the Gold Cup as well.

TheDude47 repped this.
  14. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I though Mexico's attack has gotten much better that's why the region seems "weak" maybe that's just me then

Colima24, JJV1994, DankYummy and 2 others repped this.
  15. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes

16. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wanna know what the percentages are when you only include official matches. I honestly don’t understand why these numbers get mixed with friendlies when taking about international game. That doesn’t happen at club level.

17. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The more time goes on, the more satisfying this all gets

Especially when they tried to jump on the u17 and that crashed hard

18. Pasionporeltri1

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 29, 2017
  19. Robertinho21

Robertinho21 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Tujunga, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

You mean that same Germany that was supposedly superior to Mexico, and yet not only did we go up ahead, but playing a hell of a lot better? But at the end we do what we do best, wake up from reality and realize that were not suppose to be winning, only to let Germany back into the game and eliminate us entirely. Being leaders in CONCACAF or not means nothing if you can't do nothing in a World Cup. So once again my friend that goes for 98, 02, 06, 10, 14................if i woke up a while ago, i want you to wake up as well, wont you? And if i dont feel comfortable its only because of the rotations the coach is imposing on the team for each game. Its not like im hoping that they do bad, just so i can feel good about myself altogether. And i dont live in fantasy land, i only live in reality, and in reality, i really do hope Mexico does something special........................but we've been here before with that story. Nevertheless, i will support them till the very end, but lets go on and see what happens in general.......................remember listen to your uncle.

Emigomez repped this.
  20. Emigomez

Emigomez Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My beloved uncle , I appreciate your sentiments and the one thing I disagree with is the comment that being top in concacaf is meaningless . Being too in concacaf does mean something I guess the only way we can verify that is by waiting to see what happens in the World Cup .

21. Robertinho21

Robertinho21 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Tujunga, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Fair enough, we can leave it at that, and see what happens. With that said, i hope we schedule a decent amount of friendlies with strong competition leading up to the start of the World Cup, Viva Mexico.