WCQ: Costa Rica vs México; September 5, 2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Ticos passiveness? The came out attacking from the whistle and fought every ball. And being objective? Even Gomez Junco said Mexico was better and praising the team, GOMEZ JUNCO! Vela sucked but Tecatito played "well" except for the final plays. It wasn't great but he was deangerous and definitely not a complete negative. I don't know what game you saw and your take is awful IMO.

JJV1994 repped this.
  2. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd put 20$ down that Tecatito was stoned

Also, drinking game: take a shot every time Ochoa takes a goal kick out of bounds

SGuerrilla, Tello and ipaman repped this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    different takes, no problem. my only advice is don't let mexico off the hook so easily. i feel like you're ignoring all the warts and focusing on a few bright spots. Gomez Junco was doing the same thing, talking about this is a performance you can build on. eh... you could say that about any match because no match is perfect. i try to call it like i see because you need honesty to improve. guardis (looked old), vela(fat, slow, lazy), reyes(clumsy, out of shape), tecatito(nervy and lost), moreno (shaky), jona (out of control positioning/pressing destroying team shape) even memo on his restarts and passing, ALL of them need to be honest and admit their performance and level won't get shit done in a mundial.

More honesty on the good side, RJ9 worked his ass off like always and that is WC level effort. Chuky is The Truth & Edson is The Future. Also, Gio wasn't so bad. He seems to love playing against the Ticos.

4. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio wasn't horrible. He had a really solid 10 straight mins leading up to the goal. He did, however, hover around and ended up disappearing in the second half.

LaMascara, ipaman and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  5. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    is it set in stone that Jimenez is the best striker atm?

6. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    Liver transplant required by halftime.

Miguel Myers repped this.
  7. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    While in the NT, yes. Unfortunately, for as long as Cheech keeps getting starts at West Ham while Rulo rots on Benfica's bench, he will continue to start over him.

8. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  9. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    Needs proven goalscorers next to him because his strike rate is no where near high enough. He will bang in the occasional golazo however! Great work rate, support, and link up play though.

JJV1994 repped this.
  10. SGuerrilla

SGuerrilla Member+

Sep 8, 2014
    en la cueva
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Otaku repped this.
  11. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    5 años?

No chingues...

Acabo de cumplir 35 y sigo sufriendo fallas del Abuelo Cruz y David Patiño.

revilla18, vocalz4u, Neymadres and 5 others repped this.
  12. Emigomez

Emigomez Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #462 Emigomez, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Mexico was the better team , tecatito messed up more plays than made them compared to previous performances by him I think today was one of his least memorable . I think out of 4-5 dribble attempts he succeeded in 0 and then the 3 players vs the lone tico goalkeeper was an inescusable miss by tecatito he basically pulled an Aquino with extra steps . Ochoa saved us from it being 3-1 . Vela was and is a ghost that needs to retire even Gio played better . Our defense probably had one of the most solid games in a while. I was very pleased with Mexico while RJ9 was playing the subbing him out part and trying to hold a 1 goal lead was so scrubbish and gives me an idea of how torturous this next World Cup campaign is going to be .

13. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's good to recognize the negatives to build on them but let's not play around and take away credit from Mex, without Keylor CR could've easily lost 3-1 as well. Gio surprised, for the amount of time he wanted to play. Jona seems better than I expected too, I thought his energy would've dropped for sure. Considering a bunch of peeps, even his Bigsoccer, thought CR was an easy favorite I thought the game went quite well. Always could be better but it wasn't a complete disaster.

Rafael Hernandez repped this.
  14. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Mexico was the better team and dominating up until minute 76 that had various reason IMO

A)Chucky and Jimenez got tired. They were the best players and played great but it was clear they had done too much work. Lozano got the shit kicked out of him and the ref allowed it. People say subbing in Montes made the team sit back but I think it was already going that way especially because..

B).. Subs didn't work. I think Tecatito looked dangerous but Mexico was already qualified so some players are going to look at this as the opportunity to be selfish and try to much and that is what he did. He thought that because the Ticos were tired, he was going to go all Messi and he failed miserably in the final plays because of it. They might have been tired but the Ticos defenders are still good and they weren't going to suddenly turned into El Salvador.

C) Costa Rica was losing at home and hadn't qualified and were going to go all out in the final minutes. Which they did.

DankYummy and Emigomez repped this.
  15. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I thought Chicharo was one of the better players against Panama. The conditions were totally different in that game than yesterday. Also Jimenez was great last night but his last game (3rd place game against Portugal), he severely stunk it up.

16. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    That 2005 team with Torrado, Galindo, Carmona, Rafa, was pretty damn tough. Probably helped that Galindo and Carmona were roided up LOL!!

17. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Tecatito fires that shot low he puts us ahead by two in the second half and it would have been game OVER.

How many Mexicans does it take to clear a ball from el area? These f*ckers would mow the field down faster than they're able to effetivly clear a goddam ball. At points it was like a damn pinball machine.

However, Mexico played better in CR than we did at home.

DankYummy repped this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    This type of analysis plus what I saw on Futbol Picante, Linea de 4, etc... proves to me that if Mexico dominates possession (70%+) against a bunker but can't bust the bunker they get called out for playing un-creative, shit football, etc...

If Mexico concedes possession (lost poss% last night) and the opponent doesn't bunker, tries play and generates legitimate attacks, but also allowing Mexico to also generate attacks since no bunker, Mexico gets called dominate. A dominate performance that includes clear chances for the opponent and less % for Mexico.

Sorry folks, nothing personal, but that's terrible analysis.

19. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What I see is lack of creativity and poor choices in making the right pass.

DankYummy repped this.
  20. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Your analysis is bullshit. You talk about me going on about focusing on the positive like your analysis in concentrating only on the negative is a ok. Only Vela and maybe Reyes, who was out of position and that is on JCO, deserved to be written off completely. Moreno had some shaky moment but came thru on others a lot. Same for Jona, who I actually though was one of the better players when on. I also don't know how that game means anything for a World Cup. Mexico has done a lot better in world cups that in away games in CONCACAF for a LONG time. Taking anything away from this Hex as indicative to the World Cup is foolish.

Mexico wasn't dominating because they were allowed space, they were because they took control of the game and did so until the 76th minute or so. Not all facing of bunkering is the same either which is why Mexico facing bunker teams in the Chepo era wasn't meet the same as games before.

TheDude47 repped this.
  21. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Costa Rica was playing with 3 forwards towards the end of the game and looking for an equalizer. The flow of the game dictated a third sub on the defensive end.

Two out of three subs were Vela and Tecatito. How much more attack do we need?

22. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It literally felt like we had 6 defenders and 4 forwards

23. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #473 JJV1994, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Vela the tease already looking shitty.

You got your wish Nads.

24. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    That's overly simplistic.

The performance was good considering the circumstances. Mexico controlled the flow of the game and could've been up by 2 or 3 goals before Costa Rica scored.

It's a 90 minute game. Costa Rica hitting the post in the 90th minute doesn't mean Mexico had a bad game.

Costa Rica dominates teams at home. They didn't do that last night. Not sure what game you saw to be honest. Memo made some plays and that is what he has to do.

lol @ the own goal comment. I forgot they don't count.

vocalz4u and Rafael Hernandez repped this.
  25. Emigomez

Emigomez Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Carmona was always a monster, he had some of the best speed / tackles ive ever seen. I was a really disappointed kid when i learned he was juicing up

vocalz4u repped this.