WCQ 2010, 4th Round - Group B Discussion [R] Part VI

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Txtriathlete, Mar 31, 2009.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A repeat of what I said in the Iran forum btw...

I think Fifa kind of messed up by not ensuring the final games were played at the same time. Had S.Korea v Iran & Saudi v N.Korea been played simultaneously... I think we may have seen a different outcome. With Iran leading in Seoul for most of the match, it would have put extra insentive on Saudi to win the match as it really would have been a do-or-die situation for them. As it was, they knew that while a draw would not qualify them directly, it would not eliminate them. This safety-net created probably stopped them from going all-out and being as ruthless as they possibly could have been.

With that said, congrats N.Korea, not to take anything away from them. I have a feeling they're going to have a hard time in the WC but they'll saviour this moment for a long time. Hard luck Iran but they only won 2 out of 8 games and at the end of the day, that's just not enough.

2. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The 2-2 against Iran, he set up the first goal and caused the penalty for the 2nd (for example). Anyway, it was mainly a tongue-in-cheek comment, but in terms of mere presence, he was the one player who was always there.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah well.. the end of a great football day... all started with Aus-Japan and I watched all the way up to the final minute of South Africa v New Zealand. :eek:

... almost 10 hours of footy! My wife is not too happy but ya know, sometimes a man's got to do what a man's go to do... :D

4. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Told the wife I'll be working at home today; little does she know I actually took the day off to watch all the games :D

Anyways, Im glad its all over (till september). Now, we can live our normal lives again.

5. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Haha i've been telling my father all day that i have been studying on the computer! (which is partially true.)
    Good thing he doesn't know what else can computers do!:D

6. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    It's just not possible to do so due to the weather.

And trust me, this is as ruthless as Saudi Arabia can get in front of goal.:(

7. gambiano77

gambiano77 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Here
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's quite funny that one of the AFC reps at the 2010 World Cup has to play at the Challenge Cup as well.

Congratulations to North Korea!

8. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I completely agree with that and I lay the blame mostly on Daie for the horrendous results he produced ( 6 points in 5 games compared to 5 points in 3 games for Ghotbi)..winning only two matches doesn't help things either. :-( But regardless, the last match should have been played at the same time (like in WCs)..either both games should have been in Riyadh/Tehran or both should have been in NK/Seoul.

What a lame display of football. That said, North Korea had a great campaign and congrats to them for qualifying to the WC in a while..but regardless..

9. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well then I'll repeat my reply ...

There was no lack of urgency. Our players put in a tremendous effort, especially considering that most of these players have played nearly 50 games this season (the rock Osama Hawsawi and the left back Al-Zouri were playing their 55th game respectively and were actually playing through injury). Also, bear in mind it was nearly 40 degrees over there and our guys did most of the running.

In fact, maybe our players were too urgent, as they were clearly getting nervous and losing concentration as the clock ran down and that 2nd spot was slipping away. Heck, Nayef Hazzazi was literally weeping after the final whistle.

Our coach, was a little bit cautious with his substitutions, but that was the logical thing to do in principle even if the two games were played simultaneously, as a loss would have meant elimination under most scenarios.

10. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Exciting finish what was certainly the toughest group. When the pots came out, my preferred group for Australia was:

Australia
    Japan
    Bahrain
    UAE
    Qatar

And we got all of them except UAE (Uzbekistan instead). It's no surprise that there were a few upsets in Group B.

Congrats to North Korea on making it through. I am a little afraid of what the matches against them are going to be like in South Africa though - they really struggled to get results away from home during qualifying, and when they did they were mainly nil-all draws.

11. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    East Asia > West Asia

Korea
    Japan
    Australia
    North Korea

12. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007
    fyp.

;)

13. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    West Asia only ever had two decent sides :p

14. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    East Asia is definitely dominating atm

15. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    It'll swing back and forth year after year so I don't really care about some weird vague group like "West Asia". :p I just care about the NT.

16. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ali Karimi, Javad Nekounam, Masoud Shojaei, Mehdi Mahdavikia, Hossein Kaebi, and Mohammad Nosrati took to the pitch wearing green wristbands, green being the color of the opposition leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi.

Each player was asked to remove their wristbands at half-time, but three of those involved refused the request and opted only to cover their green wristband with white bandages.

Interestingly, Osasuna midfielder Shojaei also wore a green undershirt, and, as expected, was also asked to remove the garment in fear that the player might score and remove his shirt to celebrate.

"Two hours after the game finished, the players' photos were already being held up by opposition demonstrators in Tehran."

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1...rs-in-green-wristband-political-demonstration

Awesome.

Keep in mind that these players are sure to face some form of punishment by the Iranian government. They are our brave heroes.

17. kesabec-redded

kesabec-redded Red Card

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    the funny thing is that japan, south korea and north korea was one nation until 1945.
    i imagine they can become a world class team like Yugoslavia if they are united again.

18. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Sorry, but this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on BS. :D

So, in WWII at around the same time, Germany invaded France, and so they are eligible to become a unified team? Or better yet, Japan invaded China and most of SE Asia around that time, so they are eligible to form a unified East Asian team? By your logic, everyone can claim to form a certain unified team because almost every civilisations have been conquered or invaded more than once in their history. (And vice versa)

Sorry to disappoint you pal, but Korea and Japan's relationship don't go just 50 years. It's going back to thousands of years. They may have invaded us in the modern era, but it wasn't the same story say at BC300 or about 1,400 years ago. To make it short, we are and were a different country. That's a lesson for you.

19. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good to hear. :cool:

20. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    puhahaha.... why stop at Imperial Japan? If all the nations taht were once dominated by the Mongols united, we can be an uber football power. that would include everything between Korea to Russia. We could draw the football prowess of Russia, Ukraine, Koreas, Iran..

Then West Asia can organize around the Ottoman Turk unification.

Europe can either unfiy around Napoleon or Adolf Hitler.

21. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  22. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    jest think how good ur gona b if turk reunify arab again

23. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I heard that when the Japanese owned Korea, they used to send a unified team, but it was only made up of Japanese players, except one token Korean dude, lol...

24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Koreans won a Gold and Bronze in the mens marathon the flower of the Olympics, in Nazi Germany of all places.

An achievement we repeated again in Barcelona 1992 by winning another Gold in the mens marathon.

Tell me what you guys ever won in the Olympics?

25. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Like Arabs or Saudis?