PBP: WC2018 Match 20: Iran-Spain 20 June

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by Pichi, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm not too convinced about that. Morocco had chances but lacked the finishing touch.
    Portugal have also played a counter attack game although that's been helped by their early goals scored in both games.
    A draw in that match wouldn't surprise me. It would be enough for Portugal to advance but would help Spain to win the group. I think it will depend on how Portugal approaches the game. Will they try to win the group or be satisfied to draw and advance.

2. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Victory number 400 in Spain's international history. :thumbsup:

3. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    All three matches today ended 1-0 with all three goals scored by players from La Liga (Cristiano, Suarez, Diego Costa). :cool:

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I think the safest best will be 0-0 for Iran-Portugal

We need to clean up our defense. If not, we will go home lot earlier than we hoped

5. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you end up first: Russia/Uruguay, Argentina/Croatia, Mexico/England
    If you end up second: Uruguay/Russia, France, Brasil/Germany/Belgium

I think Portugal will know by then which bracket looks best, and will try to score more even if they're already winning.We should have put in more effort to score at least once more today.

Tbh I didn't like Hierro's choices today.

6. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So good to see Diego Costa scoring all kinds of goals again & making his own luck

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Carvajal didn't give Spain that much more depth when attacking as he had hoped for. Iniesta did not look good at all and I would not be surprised if his play continues like today to be removed from the Morocco match even sooner that today. He has played a lot of matches and at his age he has definitely lost more than a step or two. Maybe he'll surprise us on Monday and give us some of that magic he is known for. I would like to see Aspas start on Monday with Costa and see if that is the spark Spain needs to bag some goals.

8. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes what a contrast from Brazil 2014 where he everything he did was awful and he didn't fit in and it cost Spain dearly! I hope he keeps his goal scoring streak alive through the final!! :D

9. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    It's a shame that the whole coaching change happened like it did. I trust Lopetegui a lot more than I do Hierro on making good tactical choices and adjustments. But that isn't the case so now we have to hope Hierro can improve

10. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    According to Marca in English here are the match 3 scenarios as to who is in and out in Group B depending on the results.

11. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I saw this gem just now, it sure looked like that for most of the game today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Don't know if he's willing to but it would be great if he consulted with Lopetegui via text. At least during the non-game days. For all we know they probably have kept in touch. It may also help the players' mindset if they knew the coach that got them to Russia is still involved in some decision making.

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Spain. Here's the goal + Iran's disallowed goal from inside the stadium last night. The place went absolutely nuts, showing it was literally almost an away game for you guys.

Diego Costa's Goal:

This one's slightly more interesting... the goal that never was - but still the place went crazy:

Anyhoo, I'm absolutely exhausted after spending the night at the airport, but something tells me I'll be seeing more of Spain later on in the tournament..

unclesox and Juanele repped this.