WC19 Coverage

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Jun 17, 2019.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Couldn't find a better place to post this.

My thoughts on the coverage.

I'm not an Ali Wagner fan. But, I think that Hucles, Slaton, and Kyndra St. Elsewhere are doing a great job as analysts.

I especially like the Myernick/Hucles team. But, I'll say, *anything* is better than listening to Foudy and Darke prattle on about anything but the match.

In the studio, I'm very disappointed that there aren't more former U.S. players. One former USWNT player? Really? And, she's sometimes not there? That's nuts. To have to former England players and one former U.S. player is crazy. Also, if we're going to go international, to the exclusion of American players, I'd like to see someone from Japan or Brazil in the mix. Does Homare Sawa speak English? Sun Wen? Sisi lives in the U.S. I'd love to see her shiny bald head in the studio. We don't need 2 from England, 2 from Canada. And, we need more Americans. Geez, there are any number of former players that it would be great to see in the half time show.

Of the foreigners, I like Eniola Aluka best.

Plxix and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like the Myernick/Hucles team.
    I wonder if presentation (appearance / beauty) has anything to do with who is chosen to be in studio?
    You are probably just being humorous here, but in case you are not, the name is Kyndra St. Aubin.
    I didn't like Lisa Byington (if I'm not mistaken) in the one match I heard her commentating on.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't recall having heard Byington (unless that's Kyndra's partner - and if we're going to be technical, her last name is "de St. Aubin" :).

I didn't like the X/de St. Aubin partnership the 1st match I heard (I've liked that pbp lady fine on NWSL broadcasts), but liked them better on the 2nd.

Oh, and I want to add, O'Reilly is really good in the studio. She might have a career in broadcasting.

A funny thing is how the analysts want to argue with the ref/rules lady. Wagner was talking down to her at one point. And, rules lady always gets the VAR call right (as far as I've seen).

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I detest the way the "coverage" spends so much time of meaningless drivel from the past. If I want to know what happened in 1995 I will watch a separate show about it or, even better, read about it. I do not need to be hearing about it during the play of current matches.

Also I detest "replays" particularly replays of failures. It seems that the best way to get slow motion camera time or camera time in replays in genera is to miss shots or do something stupid.

Commentators should just announce who is on the ball and cover injuries a tell us what is being communicated from the referee system and otherwise they should SHUT UP.

Also there are many too many close ups which seem to happen too often when a player just failed on something and is trotting up the field and not even participating in any play.

All in all I am glad we have pretty full coverage but I believe the coverage is mostly a lot of verbal excreta with some good coverage slotted in. The camera work is so poor that you cannot tell what is happening if you turn off the sound.

Midwest Ref repped this.
  5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree with your general point whole heartedly. However, one of the things I've enjoyed about the broadcasting is the comparative focus on the match at hand. From what I've heard, there has been almost a complete absence of Darke/Foudy-ish prattle about extraneous stuff.

6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, "Womens World Cup Today" or whatever that show is being called is honestly pretty boring and I fall asleep watching it. The English, Aussies and Canadians shouldn't be there talking about us and no offense to them but I really don't care what they think about us. The short haired woman who is German I believe shouldn't be there and isn't there half the time anyways.

Some of the Americans are no better, Alexa Lawless is a joke and Rob Stone is so boring, I sometimes forget he's actually physically there sitting in a seat.

I don't mind "hall of famer" JP Deccacamera and Aly Wagner or Hucles and what's his face. The two other ladies, I have no idea who they are but they sound familiar(maybe from NWSL?) I have no opinion about them.

They should hire some interesting controversial people like Hope Solo and Abby Wambach to talk about stuff. I also would like people like Michelle Akers, Mia Ham or Brandy Chastain to give their opinions as well.

7. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hesitate to remind anyone it is the -World Cup. Yes, it's an American show, but it's not just about the U.S. I enjoy all the talking heads except for Alexa Lol-less (kudos, McSkillz).
    I liked Smith and Hingst during the last WC, glad they're back. Kelly's expecting? Congratulations. She looked great in the light blue she wore: whites and blacks wash her out. HAO and Eni have been very, very good. De St. Aubin and Hildreth do college. Announcers are " not there " because they are being rotated.
    I enjoy the different perspectives. Some of them have personal knowledge about many of the players I'm not familiar with. There's always going to be fluff. Olympics coverage has the same flaw. I could do without the Daily Report. Another American viewpoint would only add to the quality of the show.

Kevin625 repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's being broadcast in the U.S. We are the only country that trips over its dicks, so to speak, trying to show how unbiased we are. There is *no* excuse for there to be multiple representatives of other countries national teams, and only one former USWNT player that's a joke.

And, I came here to post, no USWNT player in today's half time show, so I didn't watch. Sorry, Coke, not sorry.

Oh, and yes, Lalas is just a douche.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Here's the webpage for Canada's coverage of WC19. Do you see any mention of any commentator that isn't Canadian?http://www.channelcanada.com/canadi...e-coverage-of-every-match-kicking-off-june-7/:

TSN’s FIFA WOMEN’S WORLD CUP FRANCE 2019™ panel features host Kate Beirness alongside analysts Diana Matheson, who scored the bronze medal-winning goal at the London 2012 Olympic Games and also won bronze at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, and two Canadian Women’s National Team alumni in Clare Rustad, who competed for Canada at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, and Kaylyn Kyle, who won a bronze medal with Canada at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Delivering commentary for all Canadian Women’s National Team matches live from France are TSN’s Luke Wileman alongside former Canadian Women’s National Team defender and Olympic bronze medallist Carmelina Moscato, with reports from SPORTSCENTRE’s Laura Diakun.

TSN Radio delivers live coverage of every Canada match, featuring play-by-play commentator Peter Schaad alongside game analyst and Canadian Women’s National Team alum Andrea Neil.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm surprised that during the Brazil Italy match they didn't mention that if Brazil got another goal, they (Brazil) would have been tied for first in the group on goal differential, and goals scored. I wonder what the third tie breaker is.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fair play I think. Brazil loses on that to just about anybody. :devilish::D:p

blissett repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    :ROFLMAO::thumbsup: True dat!

blissett repped this.
  13. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ??? Having various announcers has nothing to do with bias. The purpose is information. And I want info about all the teams, not just the U. S.

rover8 repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am afraid that the third tie-breaker could have been H2H and not fair-play record, so Brazil would have caught 1st place in that case. But you're spot onabout Brazilian disciplinary record (that's the reason why they couldn't play Formiga, for instance). :giggle:

15. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    1) Goal Difference
    2) Goals Scored (Goals For)
    3) Points in matches between teams concerned
    4) Goal difference in matches between teams concerned
    5) Goals Scored in matches between teams concerned
    6) Best disciplinary record

I was keeping track of the table during the entire match while watching the Italy-Brazil game and occasionally flipping to the other game to check the score during down times (injuries, corners, etc). It was crazy how all the tie-breakers were playing out and all 3 teams could have finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd if another goal was scored in either match.

Brazil wasn't pushing for a 2nd goal in the final minutes, which was a huge mistake...

If Brazil scored again, they win the group. By not pushing hard to score, they were hoping that Australia didn't score again. Basically, they were putting their fate in Jamaica's hands to hold Australia for the final 20 minutes and conceding 1st place in the group.

By the way, 1st place in the group plays Nigeria/China (R16), 2nd place plays Norway (R16), 3rd place plays France/Germany (R16), with an extremely high probability of playing France (only scenario they play GER is if 3rd place team from Group E and F both advance). Even beyond the R16 games, 1st place in the group most likely has a significantly easier road to the finals and 3rd place is Murderers Row (FRA > USA > ENG).

After they went up 1-0, Brazil was sitting in 2nd place with 16' remaining in the game, but only stayed in 2nd if Australia didn't score again (AUS-JAM game was a few minutes behind, so there were still 20' left plus added time and you had to think this was a 50/50 probability at least).

Once Australia scored, Brazil had to score again... they were sitting in 3rd at this point, but still win the group if they scored again (assuming AUS didn't score) or finish 2nd over Italy at the very least. At this point, they had absolutely nothing to lose.

If Brazil conceded 2 goals in the last 16 minutes and lost, they would still be in great shape for the 3rd best 3rd place spot. In order to be in any realistic trouble of not advancing, they would have had to lost 3-1, and still would have been in great shape. It would have taken conceding 5+ goals in the final 16 minutes (for a 5-1 worse) to really start to get into any realistic trouble. Even a 5-1 loss and they're still ahead of Nigeria and only need to beat out one other 3rd place team.

Start of the game (both games at 0-0 draw)
    ITA (7 pts, +6 GD, 7 GF)
    BRA (4 pts, +2 GD, 5 GF)
    AUS (4 pts, 0 GD, 4 GF)

Australia up 1-0 (11th minute)
    ITA (7 pts, +6 GD, 7 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +1 GD, 5 GF)
    BRA (4 pts, +2 GD, 5 GF)

Australia up 2-0 (42nd minute)
    ITA (7 pts, +6 GD, 7 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +2 GD, 6 GF)
    BRA (4 pts, +2 GD, 5 GF)

Australia up 2-1 (49th minute)
    ITA (7 pts, +6 GD, 7 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +1 GD, 6 GF)
    BRA (4 pts, +2 GD, 5 GF)

Australia up 3-1 (69th minute)
    ITA (7 pts, +6 GD, 7 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +2 GD, 7 GF)
    BRA (4 pts, +2 GD, 5 GF)

Brazil up 1-0 (74th minute)
    ITA (6 pts, +5 GD, 7 GF)
    BRA (6 pts, +3 GD, 6 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +2 GD, 6 GF)

Australia up 4-1 (83rd minute)
    ITA (6 pts, +5 GD, 7 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +3 GD, 8 GF)
    BRA (6 pts, +3 GD, 6 GF)

This is the way it ended of course.

What's crazy are the potential scenarios if Brazil scored again...

If Brazil scored again
    BRA (6 pts, +4 GD, 7 GF)
    ITA (6 pts, +4 GD, 7 GF)
    AUS (6 pts, +3 GD, 8 GF)

If Brazil and Australia scored again
    AUS (6 pts, +4 GD, 9 GF)
    BRA (6 pts, +4 GD, 7 GF)
    ITA (6 pts, +4 GD, 7 GF)

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great post! :thumbsup: (This being my way to somehow double the reps :giggle:).

JanBalk and Kevin625 repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was just guessing. I thought some one that should know had said that head to head was not being used But that is my failing old brain that is subject to lapses. As we age memory is the first thing to go, I forget what the second is.

BTW: There is something interesting that "could" happen in this WWC and that is that a team with only two points could advance.
    Should Scotland tie Argentina and Cameroon tie New Zealand and Thailand tie Chile then every one of those would have one point except Argentina which would have two.
    The three other best third place teams are already set and have four points or more and there are spots for four third place teams.

I wounder what kind of outrage will get generated if that happens?

blissett repped this.
  18. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not sure why there would be outrage if a 3rd place team advances with 2 points.

If there's any outrage, I would think there might be if Chile advances by blowing out Thailand. They'd advance by blowing out the weakest team in the tournament by far and having played against USA's B-team. Also, remember, Thailand was somehow the #3 seed in this group (from Pot 3).

There's only two 3rd place teams with 4 points, Nigeria is 3rd best right now with 3 points, but they need some help. 2019WCBracketAfterGamesOnJune18.png

14 of the 16 teams have already qualified and the bracket is starting to take shape.

6 of the 16 spots in the bracket are set in stone and 9 of the 15 third place scenarios have been eliminated.

Brazil is almost definitely locked into playing France. The only scenario Brazil doesn't play France is if the 3rd place team from Group E & F both advance along with Group B & C (who are already guaranteed to advance).

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #19 RalleeMonkey, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Having two studio hosts from England, 2 from Canada, one from Germany, and one from OZ doesn't give us info about all the teams, imo.

There is no studio commentator from Asia, South America, or Africa.

Also, I don't know why there is an assumption that the viewer is "for" England. We were told all yesterday that Japan's victory over England last WC was "heartbreaking." Why wasn't it "thrilling"? We heard maybe 10 - 12 references to Phil Neville today, Maybe two to the Japan manager.

Back to the studio -
    For me, I'd much prefer the Canadian way. All USWNT'ers in the studio (and get Lalas outta there).

If not, full-Canadianway, there should at least be MUCH greater representation of USWNT'ers.

And, if you're only going to have *one* USWNT'er, then get the world represented in the studio. Don't completely ignore three whole continents.

Their studio casting is indefensible.

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #20 RalleeMonkey, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Ya, that's what I was wondering during the match. Imo, it was a fail for the announcers not to be talking about that. You could see on the graphic that if Brazil scored, they'd be tied for first on G/D, and goals scored. Someone was asleep at the wheel.

And, it was an epic fail for Brazil not to be throwing everyone forward trying for another goal.

The funny thing is, if the booth had brought it up, someone probably would have alerted the Brazil bench. So, I'm basically glad the booth missed the boat.

jnielsen and Kevin625 repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 McSkillz, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Please someone correct me if I am wrong, I believe a few months ago or earlier this year, there was a commentator formally from the Nigerian Nat'l team from the early 2000s that participated in the pre-match coverage of maybe "The She Believes Cup" but I can't for the life of me remember nor confirm she was from an African team so I would be red in the face if she came from elsewhere.

Not sure if anyone has any faint idea who I'm possibly referring to and I have no idea if she was working for Fox Sports or ESPN. She was a little nervous I believe during her analysis and I never saw her again so I'm not sure if she just didn't make the cut for the Women's World Cup panel or what.

I have nothing against having Kelly Smith and Co. but, I emphasize the word diversity in that I believe the panel is too white and Eurocentric.(JMO) The hilarious white elephant is that they never bothered to hire a former French player such as Sonia Bompastor or someone as an analyst. I mean, really.... the Women's World Cup is in... France, and you don't bother hiring a French player?

Going back to there being too many white people on the panel, I believe there was a running joke 4 years ago when Heather Mitts and Leslie Osborne traveled to Canada and was sitting next to one another and nobody could tell them apart. To this day, I seriously can't tell the difference between the two women, if one walked up to me and told me they were Heather Mitts and it was Osborne pranking me, I would take her word for it and ask for an autograph. They look exactly the same to me. I wish that we had more people of color on the panel, former players that represented anywhere but Europe. I know Mónica González probably didn't participate this time around because Mexico didn't even qualify, but it would have been nice to see her take on the Women's World Cup regardless.

I just want the European and American panelists to stop talking down to those countries that are lower ranked. It's always "they aren't disciplined enough...", their people should invest more money(no shh sherlock!), "Oh... they should all be very proud of getting into the World Cup and enjoy the experience". I mean, what arrogance and talking down are we seeing here? They don't need your sympathy, you're sitting in a place of privilege, you need to stop the patronizing.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, consider that it's very possible that high-profile former players from other countries already have contracts (possibly exclusive ones) with their national TV channels. For instance, I know for a fact that Homare Sawa is in France to comment the matches for Japanese TV.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You're not dreaming. And yes, she was from Nigeria I believe.

I have all the games, including almost all of the PreGame, Halftime and Recaps on my CPU... lemme check real quick and see if I can find her. I think she was on more recently than the SBC.

24. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    RalleeMonkey, jnielsen and McSkillz repped this.
  25. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon my French but screw the French.:D:D

Kevin625 and McSkillz repped this.