WC15: Our home on native land

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Jun 5, 2015.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  2. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    England fairly eliminates Norway. I set out to cheer for England, almost changed my mind given how well Norway were using the field. Classic Swedish jävlaranamma made them pull it through in the end.

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I did cheer for Norway - the kiss of death, apparently. So now we have to live in hope. Drat.

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hope? What are we hoping for? (Other than some sunshine one of these days.)

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know it is a little late for this but I didnt dare to post this before the R16 game last Saturday for jinxing reasons: The game was announced by BILD as "tiki-taka against taka-tuka". Quite accurate in hindsight, I have to say.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sweden, where are thou?

8. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Mostly north of Denmark, east of Norway and west of Finland.

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's so hard to keep all those places apart for middle Europeans. If it wasnt for Eurovision we wouldnt even know they exist. Similiar to parts of Britain to which all we refer as England. Or more frequently Scheiß-England. And then there are the stories we learned about Sweden in movies:
    [​IMG]

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well not on a football pitch, that's for damn sure.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rly? shouldnt you be better even more on the football pitch now in order get better?

jocasta repped this.
  12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Nah. It's summer. No one in their right mind plays football in the summer. Too stressful.

The above statement is an exaggeration for comic effect. Or is it?

13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well you still got hockey. I still remember 20 years ago my oncle for hours complaing about them tre kronors destroying beautiful Russian KLM hockey. On the other hand you're pretty bad at skiing, skijumping.... maybe there's still too much summer in Sweden? How about using midsommar for more than Ikea commercials and mead drinking orgies?

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    What, and break tradition?? Oh hahahahaha! Ahem. Sorry. No no, that wouldn't do at all.

And anyway enough about Sweden. I believe Team Germany has a more challenging task tonight than mere stektströmming... Team USA will be a bigger fish to fry indeed.

How y'all feeling about their chances?

15. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Just saw Bartusiak full-on for the first time. I have an inexplicable (?) head-shaking reaction to her very image. And if someone (STEFFI JONES) can stop Laudehr diving in the future, she might turn into a better player [cf. Bachmann].

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And since I'm here: snaps. Snaps is what you drink at Midsummer. Nobody ever drinks mead unless they're tourists at a sad Viking bar run by "musician" E-type.

17. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So, I (cough) have a friend who almost always picks a side for any given game, because, she claims, it adds interest. For USA v Germany, the notion of cheering for either team made her feel slightly queasy (in different ways), so she decided to go the "I'm cheering for football"–route. She is surprised therefore that this morning, having now watched the matched, she feels even queasier than she otherwise might have.

She would like to know whether this reaction is a common one among people who "cheer for football" on a regular basis, and whether there is a fast-acting remedy that she could take to positive effect before the next match.

18. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    While it causes a certain amount of inner turmoil when "the beautiful game" is sullied... I'm pretty sure that's why gin was invented.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fake. How would your friend know about beautiful footy from living in Sweden?

20. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    It's such a tired routine. Sounds like you need some gin.

White/Blue_since1860 and jocasta repped this.
  21. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I usually think of alcoholic afternoon coffee breaks as a thing for the middle of winter, when it seems like an extra shot of cheer is needed just for the soul to survive until dinner time, but perhaps a gin fika is called for before attempting further football.

("Gin fika" sounds like it could/should be a cocktail.)

22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Just imagine how painful it is for those of us, who don't drink?! Perhaps, I should add some gin to my kale smoothie this morning...:eek:

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im more into cognac or whiskey.

24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    There we have it — I propose a new drink, the "ginkaltini" (with olives) or the "ginkaltonic" (if you prefer a twist of lime), for those of us who need a little something after or before games. Either drink can serve as both an anaesthetic and a health beverage. (Team Germany fans may add a splash of Nun Juice as well, to help soothe the extra painful pangs of Disappointment and Wasted Potential.) Hell, add some protein powder and we'd all hardly need to ingest anything else for the whole tournament.

Great idea, Romario'sgurl. Try it and let us know how it went. (If you can still see to type afterwards!)

I'm a little less certain about a 'whis-kale sour' (whiskey, syrup, lemon juice, kale juice) — the color for sure won't be as nice as the ginkaltonic/ginkaltini and the green theme. Maybe it will have to be over lots of ice thin it out.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, why did the Nordiques perform so badly this summer? Norway and Worse-Norway out in the R16. Why? Norway have a good coach. Not-quite-Norway not. Very-Norway are slow, even-Norway-er are qiuck. a general trend in world footy?