WC Ticket information will be online 25-JAN

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Mikeymike15, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikeymike15 beat me to the punch, but here's my reply. According the FAQ, "It is not permitted to order tickets for two matches taking place on the same day." It also states, "Per household only four single tickets in price category 1, 2, or 3 for up to 7 matches OR up to two tickets in price category 4 for up to for 3 matches can be applied for."

2. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Dueling Posts! I like it Magpie! :D

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Here's is what I'm going to do.

Ask a very close friend who won't be going to the WC to purchase TST-5 CAT-3 for USA for 2 tickets. He'll use his name and my wife's name (and passport ids). I'll pay him in cash for the tickets.

Then WHEN USA qualifies and USSF has their ticket sale, I'll purchase TST-5 CAT-4 (if available) for USA for 2 tickets. I'll use my name and my daughter's name and ids.

Possibilities:
    Win both lotteries:
    I have 4 seats

Win FIFA but not USSF lottery
    I have tickets with my wife name (and my friend).

Win USSF but not FIFA lottery
    I have tickets with my name and my daughter.

Lose both
    Buy game by game tickets as best as I can.

I guess the biggest chance that I'm taking is if they try and match tickets with ids. Then, I'd have the same last name on the ticket regardless. Additionally, I have to sell the 3 excess tickets. I don't think this will be a problem given the demand for tickets. I may try and trade tickets for other games that I'm interested in.

Any input?

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't think I'm the only one but all this has left me bitterly disappointed. The whole system is a joke.

5. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't you change the person linked to a ticket until they send out the tickets 6-8 weeks before the cup? I thought I read that.

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I haven't seen this - I have read that you can change the name based upon extraordinary conditions (death, marriage, illness - all bad things :D ) . It would cost 10 eur plus shipping (15 more eur).

So you can change the name for $33 - I guess the question is who cares?

Do you think the stadiums are going to care that Midge Durkins is sitting in the seat rather than Fred Druba? As long there isn't a blackmail ring, scalping tickets and a little discretion is used - who cares?

7. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    This is such crap. I've been planning for 18 months to use my American Express (no limit). I bought a house this year, knowing it would stretch my budget in 04/05, but I would always have the flexibility of at least securing tickets.

So you can only use Mastercard
    Only eat McDonald's
    Only drink Budweiser.

I may just stay home...

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Wait for the USSF offer. This will defer your expense until very late 2005 (probably Oct/Nov.).

9. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe how much bitching there is about Bud, McD, and MasterCard. Not just here, but else where.

Yea, it sucks that we can't get German beer in the stadium. It sucks we can't use other credit cards. But consider the prices of this event to other large international events and how FIFA operates revenue streams.

I'm sure they'd be happy open up corporate partnerships, but then expect to pay at least 800 Euros (like an Olympic OC/CC) for the Final, and probably 100 euros for each group match.

Tickets start at only 35 euros!

I saw England : France (UEFA, but same idea) for 35 EUR at Portugal 2004!!

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would rather pay more money than have all the rubbish that FIFA has put in place.

I don't care about the beer though as I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't allowed to drink inside the ground.

11. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, you can - but only the official swill.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well (without wanting to keep saying this) you couldn't drink booze at games in Euro 2004. It was non-alcoholic Carlsberg there.

Anyway, you can drink outside the ground for hours as much German beer as you like.

13. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    Certainly a 400% bump in ticket prices is not what we want - but I would take a 20% bump in order to have some selection and some competition for quality. So maybe Bud and McD are the only ones that advertise, get 5 to1 booth penetration, whatever - but the fact that I am practiaclly forced to consume 2 brands that I pride myself in avoiding for years at a time is ridiculous.

That is mostly a frustration that people can and will work around or live with. The other issue is that the FAQ for tickets just came out saying that you can only use a Msatercard or a German bank account. So, I can do some juggling and get $3000 for myself and my wife in my bank account - I still am not assured of getting $3000 in credit from Mastercard in time for the draw.

You just would have thought this would have been in big flashing red letters last September when they said tickets would be available in Q1 of 2005.

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    By the way, though there is no hurry, you can enter the FIFA WC ticket lottery now.

No big surprises on the entry form.

15. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One small surprise in the confirmation email, though -- apparently I've been knighted.

:D

16. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Congrats, if anyone deserved it - you did! :D

17. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - now that the time has arrived, I simply can't pull the trigger - 4 TST-3 Cat-3 seats is over $800.

It would make a nice HS Graduation present for my son (of course, he'd then be missing graduation). Wonder if he can get a full college scholarship as an all-around soccer fan?

:D

18. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you have to provide a passport number, or will an ID number do? The application shows you can use either. Would my application be denied if I used my ID number instead?

19. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say:

Read the information at fifaworldcup.com...its all there.

Be worried about getting into the stadium, not where you are going to be sitting and if there are going to be other Americans around you. Because this is the world's largest event and it is being played in Europe these tickets will be the hardest to get in the history of tickets. (Once you get in go stand with "Sam's Army")

If you can not qualify to get a Mastercard with a few thousand dollar credit limit you probably should not be spending the money to go in the first place.

If you think the cost of game tickets is too much, what do you think about the airfare, lodging, and food costs for 2 weeks minimum (length of group stage) in Germany? The fact of the matter is if you don't have 2 weeks and $2500-$3500 per person is too much, you probably need to stay home. (if you have to ask how much, you probably can not afford it)

If you don't have a passport: apply for one, if yours is expired: get it renewed. You have until March 31 for this first phase.

If beer and food choice at the games are big problems for you...stay home. (btw if you look at the fifaworldcup.com website you will find that AB and McD are not your only choices)

But I won't.
    Sorry

20. Phee

Phee New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Sounds like csctn is kind of a dick!

You can usually get cheap flights to London from the states, and the low cost european airlines can almost always get you to somewhere on the mainland from London for around $20. If you take trains from there, buy your game tickets in advance, and stay in modest hotels/hostels, I would think you could do the trip for a pretty reasonable price.

21. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moment of weakness, I apologize to anyone who took offense from my post above. My first and hopefully last flaming comment.

If you have the time and can afford to go - go, and don't worry about the small stuff.

22. Dipsfan14

Dipsfan14 New Member

May 23, 2003
    B-more
    I was wondering if someone could clear one thing up for me.
    I plan to go with three friends, with each of us applying as a "household" and using the other three guys on their application. Is that allowed, or can we just submit on application in total with all four names, addresses, passport #s, etc. on it?
    If anyone who has been through this process before could add some info, my friends and I would greatly apprecoate it.
    Thanks.

23. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, you should submit one single application with you (the applicant) and three guests. If you each submit your own individual applications with the others added, you could get stuck paying for up to 16 sets of tickets. Yes, you would be obligated to pay. FIFA might cross reference applicant passport numbers anyway to make sure scalpers aren't trying to acquire multiple tickets. Just stick with one application with four people on it.

24. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok similar question, I want to buy four TST - 3 tickets, but as of right now I only have 2 definite people that are going. For the other 2 tickets who should you put down or is it as a guest? What if you dont have their information to submit?

25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a similar question. I want to get four TST-3 tickets, but there will be my four family members, two aren't that interested in soccer, and numerous friends we will be meeting in Germany. Ideally I would be able to add two guest names later or to change names. I assume I will be able to do this for a 10 euro fee.

First, I need to get my son a new passport as he has turned 18 and his old one has expired. For info on passports, check out: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html