WC Ticket information will be online 25-JAN

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Mikeymike15, Jan 4, 2005.

1. aekdb266

aekdb266 New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the info, guys. We'll probably go for the first round of ticket offers. Good luck to everyone.

Alan

2. Phee

Phee New Member

Jan 25, 2005

In response to your question:

32. In which cases will tickets be allocated in a different category or for fewer matches?
    The ticket order forms provide the following options for ticket alternatives, in case your desired tickets should not be available. Check the appropriate boxes to increase your chances of successful participation in both draws.

“If no more seats are available in the price category I specify, I would accept a lower price category” - If you check “Yes”, and if your application has been accepted, and if your desired category has been sold out, availability of tickets in a lower category will be checked. If this is the case you will be provided with tickets in that lower category.
    „If no more seats are available in the price category I specify, I would accept the next price category up” - If you check “Yes”, and if your order has been accepted, and if your desired category has been sold out, availability of tickets in the next higher category will be checked. If this is the case you will be provided with tickets in that higher category.
    “If the TST series I selected is sold out, I would accept a TST series with fewer matches” - If you check “Yes”, and if your order has been accepted, and if your desired category has been sold out, availability of TST series with fewer matches will be checked. If this is the case you will be provided with that TST series.

3. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: the first lottery will begin on the 1st and end on March 31st, after the first phase they will go through the lottery and notify people?? Also they will take all the apps during that timeframe and they are not dependent upon when you turn it in( so not a first come first serve basis), is that correct? So basically you can turn it in anytime in this first phase???

4. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    You are correct on both accounts.

From the FIFA web site under Ticket FAQ's http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/tickets/faq.html

5. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Hmmm. Interesting. They say that only fixed TST tix are available (7 games plan), but then they say the above. Are there other TST series options available or not?

6. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    well there are TST-6 through TST-3 options available as well...all are "Fixed" options

7. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Really? I didnt see that info anywhere.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I plan to purchase through U.S. Soccer.

9. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/tickets/faq.html#3

3. What is a TST series?

TST stands for team specific ticket. TSTs are sold as so-called series, i.e. these tickets entitle you to attend a series of matches of your favorite team. You do not have to be a citizen of the country of your favorite team. A TST series will let you go along with your desired team to at least all preliminary round matches, and to the final round matches up to a stage of the tournament selected by you according to the type of TST.
    There are five TST types available:

A TST 3 ticket entitles you to all three group matches of your desired team
    A TST 4 ticket entitles you to all three group matches, and the round of sixteen match
    A TST 5 ticket entitles you to all three group matches, the round of sixteen match, and the quarter-final match
    A TST 6 ticket entitles you to all three group matches, the round of sixteen match, the quarter-final match, and the semi-final match
    A TST 7 ticket entitles you to all three group matches, the round of sixteen match, the quarter-final match, the semi-final match, and the final match
    A purchaser of a TST 4-7 ticket follows their team until that team is eliminated from the tournament. When their chosen team has been eliminated from the competition the customer will continue through the tournament following the team that has eliminated their chosen team from the tournament. If your desired team is eliminated in one of the final matches, with the TST being valid for subsequent matches, the ticket will be transferred to the winner of the respective final match. A corresponding rule applies in the case of that team being eliminated in turn.
    TSTs are available in price categories 1 to 3. Up to four TST series can be ordered per household. (Household being defined as one surname per delivery address)
    The price of a TST equals the prices of the total of the individual tickets plus a handling fee of 10 percent of the single ticket prices. The cost of travel between the different venues in Germany is not included in the TST price. The ticket of the respective match covers the fee for local public transport at the respective venue on the respective day and for the given times.
    Important: Submitting applications for TST series is only possible via the internet.

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks. Between not having flex TST's, and that 10% handling fee above, they're really bending us over, eh?

11. ratfacejt

ratfacejt Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Sep 17, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll second this (having been a few rows in front of Bill in the crappy overpriced seats). What kinda stinks this time around is that the Cat-4 seats are the ones right behind the goal, but getting those seats ain't so easy, the way FIFA has set this up. The next best option is Cat-3, which appear to be the upper deck behind the goal seats. I'd much rather have the field level Cat-4's, but what can you do?

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    exactly. seems fifa realizes that there aren't many cat-4. In order to be most inclusive, fifa is limited the "so-called bad seats" - so more people can come to a few games.

But it blows.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

After more than a few US games, this is my first attempt at going to a World Cup, and it seems, after two nights of parsing the glut of WC ticket information on the FIFA site and here on BS, it's a decision between (a) trying for tickets from the start to get the best chance, but running the risk of being seated in the middle of a sea of humanity with no Americans within arms length, and (b) waiting for the US allocation, by which time three sales periods have passed, but a ticket from the USSF means being able to stand with fellow American fans.

Did I get that right?

14. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you are correct. From my experience in Korea, FIFA attempts to put all supporters of one team together. The stadiums I attended were uniform in that each team's fans were at opposite ends.

15. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    I would not worry about being seated away from other USA fans if you buy through FIFA. Just heed the advice that others have given and I am about to give.

In Korea I purchased Cat 2 tickets. Every game I ended up in the upper corners of the stadium in a row that had all USA fans. There were always USA fans adjacent to me, as well as a mix of host country fans, opposing fans, and neutral fans. I remember seeing big chasms of empty seats in the primo sections on the sides, and my assumption is that these had been allocated to VIPs and sponsors. I would expect things to be the same in Germany.

The FIFA rules indicate that there is no guarantee that you will get adjacent tickets if you order more than one. Don't worry. The party atmosphere inside the stadium will guarantee that you will make some new friends, American or otherwise. Don't worry.

I managed to sneak into the end section where the big core of USA fans were for the Poland match. The atmosphere down there was far better than the rest of the stadium. Everyone was standing and it was sorta like the general seating arrangements that we try to keep at home games here. I made up my mind right then and there that I would buy the cheap tickets next time around so I could stand in that section for every game.

Finally, US Soccer will get an allocaiton of tickets if we qualify. It is highly likely that they'll make a block of those tickets available after qualification is set. That block will likely be in the Cat 3 or Cat 4 areas.

With that, the way I see it is that there are three simple options:
    1. If you want the rowdy supporters section atmosphere (and trust me, you do), buy a Cat 3 TST package from FIFA and use US Soccer as a backup plan. We'll create a loud and exciting atmosphere and hopefully link up with the people who bought from US Soccer.
    2. If you just want to see the games and you are not concerned with sitting near the big supporters section, buy a Cat 3 TST package from FIFA and use US Soccer as a backup plan. Do not buy Cat 1 or Cat 2 because you'll likely get worse seats.
    3. If you are the type who does not want to sit near the loud, singing USA fans, buy a Cat 2 or Cat 1 TST package from FIFA so you can enjoy the peacefulness of the upper corners of the stadiums.

16. mamifero22

mamifero22 New Member

May 8, 2003
    Davis, California
    I don't have a Mastercard. Does anyone know if you are able to use one of those Mastercard gift cards as a way to pay for your tickets that way you just buy one instead of applying for the credit card? Also, is it absolutly necessary to have your passport cause it also says ID on the Fifa website? Could I us my Drivers License number cause I still have to renew my passport?

17. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it has a MasterCard logo, sixteen digits, and an expiration date, you could probably use it. Here's the problem. You have to have the proper credit line on that card. And you need to account for the exchange rate. They won't charge to the card immediately until you make the lottery cut. When they do later and it gets kicked back, your tickets are gone. To be safe, get yourself a standard MasterCard credit card with an adequate limit.

I think it's possible that a drivers license could be used, but I wouldn't chance it. You have time to renew your passport before the end of March when phase one ends. You're going to have to do it anyway, so why not now?

Good luck.

18. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I apologize if these questions have been asked already, but after going through the whole thread and the FIFA faq, I didn't see them:

1.) The FIFA faq says one may apply for up to 7 matches. Does that mean if you apply for the TST 7, you can't apply for any individual matches?

2.) And is that 7 match restriction for the entire tournament, or just for this round of ticketing? In other words let's say I apply for and receive 7 matches (gotta think positive). Am I then prevented from purchasing any more tickets?

3.) If I successfully apply for individual tickets in the preliminary ticketing phases, will I be prevented from purchasing through US Soccer?

Thanks!

19. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only apply for either Team Specific Tickets or Single tickets. You can't get both. Either follow a particular team for 3 to 7 matches or pick a particular match, e.g. A1 vs A2 on June 14 in Dortmund. Because you're buying during qualification, you won't know which teams will show up.

From what I've read, once you make a TST or Single choice, your ID/passport number can't show up on another ticket. If you wanted to attend another match outside your TST set, you'd have to see a scalper. My guess is that they want to open up the process to allow as many different people to attend matches as possible.

Good question. I've not seen anything specific on this, but I think that the same rules apply. Your ID can't show up on another set outside of what you ordered.

20. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh man...that stinks. I was really hoping to try for both a USA ticket and a single ticket for the finals.

Thanks so much for your answers, even if they did make me sad.

21. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're certainly welcome. BTW, I think an TST-7 ticket would do this for you in a roundabout way if I'm reading your post correctly. According to the FIFA WC site:

"A TST 7 ticket entitles you to all three group matches, the round of sixteen match, the quarter-final match, the semi-final match, and the final match. A purchaser of a TST 4-7 ticket follows their team until that team is eliminated from the tournament. When their chosen team has been eliminated from the competition the customer will continue through the tournament following the team that has eliminated their chosen team from the tournament. If your desired team is eliminated in one of the final matches, with the TST being valid for subsequent matches, the ticket will be transferred to the winner of the respective final match. A corresponding rule applies in the case of that team being eliminated in turn."​

You'd see the USMNT as far as they go and follow each round of the winner until the final. Does this make sense?

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I have read all the stuff but would still love just a quick question (the FIFA website is driving me insane).

Can you apply for individual tickets for every game (excluding where there are multiple games on a single day)?

23. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, perfect sense...I am an idiot. Clearly I did not read the faq closely enough. TST 7 it is.

Anyone know how the applications are evaluated? I assume it's not completely at random. For instance, would I have a better shot if I put in for the most expensive seats?

24. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikeymike15 had a very good post somewhat related to this question. I've been thinking about this issue myself. I, too, doubt that it's completely random. For example, I think someone ordering an TST-3 CAT-1 for the USA is going to have a better shot that someone ordering an TST-7 CAT-3 for the German national team. In fact, that's what I'm ordering: two TST-3 CAT-1 USA seats. If I miss the cut, I'll go with USSF tickets. I just don't want to chance it.

25. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    FIFA states you can apply for a max of 7 tickets total