Pre-match: (WC - Semi-Final) Germany Vs Brazil July 8

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and oh Loew sucks.

our defense sucks...howedes sucks

Kroos, piggy sucks as DM

yet low is still in the tournament with the lowest goal scored from all the team that qualified to the semis...

tells you that 90% of the people know jack shit about anything

chewz repped this.
  2. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And why do they bother to come to our side of the Forums and insist on telling us how its done??
    Don't they have better things to do?? Ohhh wait they are already been kicked out with their tic tac midget ball tactics...dont come here in my home and tell me am no good....We are better than y'all collectively and every will be..Germany the most decorated team in world cup history 4 back to back semi finals...FFS please do everyone a favour and stick to your end of the woods next time...dont come here and tell us that kindda crap!
    I did give him my opinion up there tho...didnt have time nor was it worth it to give it a full break down..but my point was clear!

3. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So us it only silva and neymar missing game against Germany .. Guess that's quite hectic loosing your best player and captain . Gotta feel for neymar. Germany should have all players available .

I think howedes did ok!

So we all start believing we can win the cup thus year.? German players should also start believing in it which us a good thing. We can beat all remaining teams.

As said Bayern CL win last year is vital to the believe that they can win this cup, the players know what believe , fighting, and dedication is required.
    Excuse the typos

Crisstti repped this.
  4. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Regarding starting line up.., guess same back four with lahm at back.
    I would just
    change the front three
    Schurrle muller Goetze
    We can bring in Klose , Oezil and poldi as required

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But this is the German forum and it does happen too often for me. Regardless of where you live, this isnt cool and never will be. Or do you wont tell me it is in Chile? Nonsense, I mean the most regular posters know about and dont do it but every once and a while guests come around, maybe even without intention and they may have preference for the German team, but they come writting the two or three German words they know here. Inform youself before you post. The internet should help but guidelines would be more helpful.

herthabsc, MatthausSammer and Vlad S. repped this.
  6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I am not sure about Schuerrle after the game VS Algeria and France. The misses showed poor effort at finishing, not enough awareness and super casual.

Oezil should be benched. He has been given enough chance (nothing to do with @SirManchester ) but 4-3-3 u cannot find a good fit of where he can play. I think Oezil doesn't have a position on 4-3-3

Maybe Mueller, Klose and Oezil up top?

7. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This coming from the guy who posted a map of the Blitzkrieg attack on France plastered with swastikas :laugh::ROFLMAO:

F96, Crisstti and Cris 09 repped this.
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So what? it was a WWC II(not a nazi) reference originating from a German tweet that I translated just like the Özil joke. It's not my opinion and it was what it was: a joke. I dont think that compares to thinking nazi slogans were cool or accepted here. See?

ChampionLeaguer5000 repped this.
  9. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, in its true meaning "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt" is actually harmless. It was never about German superiority at all. When Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote it in 1841 there was no Germany. After Napoleon destroyed the Holy Roman Empire there was only a collection of independent states left, like Preußen, Sachsen, Bayern, Württtemberg, Hessen, etc. The song says creating the unified state of Germany is the most important thing in the world. "Deutschland über alles" just calls for the small independed states to unite for a greater cause.

Due to what happened in Nazi Germany, 100 years after the song was written, the first stanza is now vilified. But together with the third stanza, which calls for the ideals of the French Revolution "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" (liberté, égalité, fraternité), the "Lied der Deutschen" is nothing but a call for a unified, free and democratic Germany.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course I do know that. But I dont really think you want to tell me that posters using that phrase do it with the intend to refer to the 19th century meaning, do you? LOL dude just lol

MatthausSammer repped this.
  11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #136 Dage, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Thanks for the history lesson but we all did know that before. It's still awkward for Germans to be confronted with it and therefor it's inappropriate to be used in the German forum for respect. I don't go to show the "Hitler Gruß" either despite beeing used in the Roman Empire or paint the "Hakenkreuz" despite beeing used for thousends of years from India to Europe. And for sure I don't go to the Italian or Spanish forum claiming phrases of the Mussolini or Franco era.

By the way it was used in this thread after a win over France so I'm sure the original poster actually did use it in the worse way.

Also your last paragraph there is a mistake. The French Revolution ideals were equality, freternity and liberty. The German ideals of the time between Naopleon and 1848 were the ones of our hymn, that are different from the French ones - unity, justice and freedom.

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    #137 benztown, Jul 5, 2014
    Hmmm...the first stanza of the anthem doesn't freak me out nearly as much as your other examples. It was abused by the Nazis but it wasn't a Nazi slogan or a Nazi song. In fact they had their own quasi-Anthem, the "Host Wessel Lied". Quoting that would indeed be indicative of an unwanted mindset here, whereas quoting the first stanza merely identifies you as a non-German.

And BTW, the French anthem's content is way more problematic than any stanza of the German anthem and through and through bloody. Do we therefore think that everyone singing it is a spiritual mass murderer or do we look at it its origins and its context?

Crisstti repped this.
  13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I think the Marseillaise is indeed problematic in a modern European context but the French have a general intractibility to look back on and reappraise their history, e.g. Vichy, Algeria, French-Indochina, de Gaulle etc. SO I leave it there, it's not the history of mine.

And you're right the first two stanzas of the anthem were sung way after '45 but then were defined as inappropriate. I don't know your personal point of view but I felt weird when somebody after a German win over France comes to the German forum claiming "Deutschland über alles!" That claim has nothing to do with the history of the anthem itself, it's obviously used with the bad intension like that what the Nazis did. Maybe it was just a bad joke but I have the right to point that out.

If some random guys would claim that in real life on the streets after the win here in Germany that would be seen as a real disgusting and insulting thing and could easily end in brawls and involving of policemen.

The conclusion is, it shouldn't be used in here regardless if you or some other user has no big problem with it. It remains awkward.

14. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    What I'm saying is that it's not widely known that it is inappropriate to sing the first stanza in Germany, heck, many think it still is the regular anthem. So I give everyone the benefit of the doubt there. Something I couldn't do if they were singing the Horst Wessel Lied for instance.

F96 and Crisstti repped this.
  15. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I know that the literal translation of "liberté, égalité, fraternité" is slightly different. I can speak French (have a French father). But the text of the "Lied der Deutschen" is still inspired by it and the meaning is very close to it.

It's nice that everyone here knows the history already. It's a bit strange that the first stanza causes such an outrage then. The poster who used the line "Deutschland über alles" obviously didn't know its true meaning but that still doesn't make it an evil song. I don't want all of German history to be defined by what happened between 1933 and 1945.

ChampionLeaguer5000 and Crisstti repped this.
  16. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't pretend stupid my Lord! The user didn't use it in the way it was meant back then. He didn't mean the so called "German question" because it didn't make any sense in the used context. It's clear he was misusing the term "Deutschland über alles" in a very specific way to celebrate the win over France. That's awkward and you have to be a very naive person to not see the problematic that lies herein. If I remember correctly he was even using the Umlaut so there is no way he didn't use it intentionally. And that's insulting and I don't matter if you or anybody thinks behaviour like this is just normal. It's not.

herthabsc, MatthausSammer and Vlad S. repped this.
  17. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As I already wrote above, I know he used it in another way than it was originally intended. That still doesn't make it a Nazi slogan! It's not a Nazi line! I'm also fairly certain that user didn't want to use it as a Nazi slogan but simply implied that Germany is better than everyone else at football. Which isn't even totaly absurd as Germany has been in more WC finals than anyone else and only Brazil and Italy have more wins.

ChampionLeaguer5000 and Crisstti repped this.
  18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the used context it is of course a let's say a nationalistic line a far right winged allusion and has no right to be used in here. In the best meaning it was slow and stupid not knowing the current circumstances and in the worst meaning it was an aimed attempt to either insult the French, the Germans or both. And you can personally pretend naive if you think that was just harmless but you're painting a false picture of reality in Germany if you think that behaviour like this is unsupicious and harmless. Again.. try this in real life on a German street and see what happens. You really can't be that naive especially if you are German.

19. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    #144 benztown, Jul 5, 2014
    Actually, within a football context, say in a crowd that just watched Germany win, I doubt anything would happen. Some people might roll their eyes but that would probably be it.

Now, do that on a regular day in a city center of your choice and it would be a different matter.

20. Minttunator

Minttunator Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any chance we could get back to talking about football? :whistling:

dips82 repped this.
  21. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've actually heard the first stanza sung once through an open window in Berlin during WC 2006. (By a group of people watching a Germany match in public.)

Anyway, this is not a German street but an American message board. I'm fairly certain the poster wasn't German or he wouldn't have written it. He just used it in a naive manner to gloat about Germany's victory over France in a football match. It wasn't political at all.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well you may be right in a situation among guys like those who burnt the Portuguese flag after the group match.

23. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This our chance, this is our time, we must take advantage of this opportunity!

No Silva, no neymar. We can do this! Never going to be easy playing in front of a nation tightly packed into a stadium chanting against us for 90 minutes but I think our boys are up for it!

Crisstti, Dhajj, Dage and 2 others repped this.
  24. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we got this ... not to worry

Crisstti and RMCFkevin repped this.
  25. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A swastika is not a nazi symbol either, originally. Nor was David's star in combination with yellow background first used by Nazis. Doesn't make it any better.

Dage repped this.