wc qualifying

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Sep 4, 2018.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aly Wagner in a Soccer America article:
    "This is a campaign the U.S. should dominate. It’s one they should win...So, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they’ll be tested and I would say that there is a greater level of parity in Concacaf than ever. Years ago, back to when I played, it wasn’t even close. The teams that were not Mexico or Canada, they couldn’t compete at all. That’s just not the case anymore. There could be a game plan, a bad day in the office that spells trouble in the group stage or in that semifinal match [the winners of which qualify]."

"...Costa Rica has been decent in the last cycle. Trinidad & Tobago could be that squad that surprises some people. They’re up against it. They haven’t had great preparation. They’ve been frustrated with the lack of support, and sometimes that unites a squad and elevates them and gives them that extra bit of inspiration that can help them create an upset. They have a lot of players who play in the U.S. They’re familiar with the U.S. style. I’m not saying that the U.S. has to worry about them, but Trinidad & Tobago could pull off an upset and find themselves in the semifinals."

2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    "Greater level of parity in Concacaf"? Really? There is no parity in this region. T&T is not even close to good.

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck has Aly Wagner been smoking? NO way are we worried about Trinidad and Tobago or even Mexico for that matter.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WCQ-related news from this Equalizer article:

Rapinoe, Lloyd, and Morgan were officially named captains for the WCQ tournament. What happened to Sauerbrunn?

Additionally, Mathias and Franch are both alternates on the WCQ roster who are in camp training with the team.

Finally, CONCACAF has announced that there will be no extra time in the semifinal game if the match is tied after 90 minutes. They will proceed directly to KFTPM. If the final or 3rd place game is tied after 90 minutes though, there will be ET. At the group stage, goal difference will be the first tie breaker, and then total goals scored.

blissett repped this.
  5. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is what she said. To quote her statement about T&T: "I'm not saying the U.S. has to worry about them." She even used the same verb you did.

Namdynamo and lil_one repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not parity in the sense that they're serious challengers to the US or even Canada, but in that there are more teams that can challenge Mexico in playing for that 3rd place spot.

But again, remember 2010. And even in 2014, the US dominated T&T in the first game of the tournament, but still only managed to squeak out a 1-0 win.

I'm not concerned about a loss AT ALL, nor do I think Wagner is, but I hope the team is not taking anything for granted.

7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not vocal enough as a leader, maybe?

8. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    On what planet is Morgan or Lloyd a vocal leader. I don't think I've ever seen them rally their teams. Becky has tremendous respect among her teammates. Something very fishy about this change imo.

9. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've seen Morgan "rally" her teammates several times. Haven't seen Lloyd do it on the field. I think the number of times I've seen Sauerbrunn and Morgan do it are about equal.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leadership qualities are apparent to coaches who are privy to the team dynamic during training and in team meetings, IMO.
    You cannot judge a player only by what limited time you see them interacting on the field during the match.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    And Brunn is an older player whose performance this week is suddenly a lot more important than initially expected-- I'd do what I could to lighten her load.

And this team is built to outscore people for choice-- maybe putting it on Alex, Carli, and Pinoe will tend to keep them on the front foot...

But as tempests go this one is distinctly sub-teapot sized.

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw the game in person -- or rather half the game because it was at the opposite end of the field nearly all the first half.

However, in the second half, I was about 25 feet from Rapinoe on her corner kicks and surrounded by dozens of teen-age girls (and a few men) shouting "Pinoe, Pinoe!" I maintained a dignity befitting my age.

All the attention used to be directed Alex Morgan's way -- but it seems to me that Rapinoe now has equal fan appeal.

Mexico was pathetic. They couldn't mount any offense whatsoever, basically because poor Charlyn Corral was the lone forward. She was joined by Katie Johnson about minute 60, and I think an argument could be made that both of them should have been in the game from the beginning to keep the U.S. honest on defense.

Where was Monica O'Campo? She's Mexico's best player in my opinion. I'm somewhat sorry that Sofia Huerta decided not to play for Mexico. She would have been a good forward, or attacking midfielder for Mexico.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    A dominating and utterly convincing win by the USA. If "parity" in CONCACAF had started to develop, it is possible the USWNT have taken a step forward.

There are nits to pick, but it is kind of hard to get on Heath for slowing the pace of play or to point out the same corner kicks Mexico had success with last year against Naeher were dangerous again a few times. Or that they sort of took the foot off the pedal at minute 3 and it took half time to get them focused again.

I think the talent deficit between the USA and Mexico is just a gulf that could not be overcome. Was interesting to see the Mexico coach so upset about their performance. Maybe they were trying to keep their GD to -2 and not -6. They were lucky it wasn't -9.

Rapinoe and Morgan and Ertz and Horan are so important to the team now. Everyone else is complimentary. So, it was strange that Lavelle, O'Hara, and Heath were substituted and these important (and Rapinoe is not young) players went the whole game where the result was not in doubt for most of the second half, if not the whole game.

I know Lavelle and O'Hara are just coming back. But maybe that is a reason to not bring Mace and to bring McCaskill or someone that could fill in for Lavelle or Heath (Wiliams?). Sonnet seems capable of backing up O'Hara, so I don't know why she was subbed. She could have just hung out in the back and taken it easy.

I don't think Ellis is at all brave enough not to start Rapinoe, Morgan, Horan, and Ertz every game. So, we will see if fitness is a problem or if someone sprains an ankle running a ball down up 7-0 against T&T.

Lavelle, Rapinoe, Morgan, Horan, Dahlkemper, O'Hara, Dunn were all excellent. Heath was great if out of step with her teammates' tempo, and Sauerbrunn and Naeher had little to do.

jnielsen and Namdynamo repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is she the Irish sister of Monica Ocampo? :D

jnielsen, McSkillz, MiLLeNNiuM and 2 others repped this.
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    She is Barack O'Bama's cousin.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The ball slowed down when it came to Tobin because that was the hill Mexico decided to die on. She was doubled the whole time, and pressured most of it, so she had to both keep the ball away, and look for the open person. She did great.

Horan is playing remarkable soccer at the moment; quick and decisive, and lethal in tight spaces.

Lavelle didn't even play well by her standards, and she was still the second or third most dangerous person on the field-- but someone get that woman a tanning bed. Looks like a refugee from a votive candle factory...

Substitution pattern was exactly what one would expect if one has been paying attention to Ellis' tendencies for any purpose other than criticism. She will always sub out players coming off injury because she doesn't think they will be 90 minutes fit for a camp or two. And she has access to the monitor data which we do not, so I imagine she's pretty much right.

I really missed O"Hara-- what a pleasure to see her looking like herself.

Naeher's distribution was awfully good; there were reasons why Mexico's possession was so bad, and that was one of them. She got the ball to openish people near every time, which meant they not only didn't get it right away, but they didn't get it for a while either.

If I were doing player personnel for a club I'd put some time in on researching Robles' rights-- she's coming along very well and is apt to be a star in a year or two. The difference between last April and now is notable-- she caught the eye qua "athlete" then but she's doing so qua "player" some now.

I didn't think they were bad so much as we were good. Leave O'Hara in to coast, as somebody suggested, and you'll see why you shouldn't pretty quickly. That's a pretty good way to get hurt again or develop bad habits, too.

17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Very funny -- and I've thought the same, but didn't have the nerve to say it. You can spot those white legs the length of a field away, much further away than you can see her number. The other player with votive candle color is Vasconcelos with Chicago. Both instantly recognizable.

I also noticed that Lavelle looks small and frail.

18. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Robles isn't exactly an unknown. She's played for Mexico since 2010 and appeared in two World Cups. Plays for Athletico Madrid, once of the better teams in Spain's women's league. I agree with you-- Mexico was poor but Robles is one who can hold her own out there.

19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    You crack me up with some of your posts. For what it's worth, I would do the same.

Only @jackdoggy is shameless enough to admit he screams along with the teen-age girls.

blissett repped this.
  20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!!

21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    FYI - Robles first name is Kenti, for those who want to look her up (like me :)).

22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprises from the other side of qualifying.
    Costa Rica 8-0 over Cuba, Fightin Tancerdi's 2-0 over Jamaica.
    My Hotel in Cary has vvvvvvvery limited sports channels so I wasn't able to watch those matches - - - sounds like I didn't miss much.
    Just rained hard here for 45 minutes, there is a stupid game at WakeMed tonight with the RedBulls B team or something. Hope the field holds up.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's from Ohio and played in college at Wisconsin; give the girl a brake lol.

24. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought that too, and wondered whether if means that she can't be counted on to have the sort of career that her talent merits, because she'll won't be able to stand the pounding she'll get from bigger players. Of course, I thought the same thing about DaMarcus Beasley 16 years ago, and he seems to have survived.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm