wc qualifying

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Video?!?!
    There’s not much to share

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    jackdoggy repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I tried to buy a ticket to the U.S./Mexico game, October 4. The U.S. women's soccer website directed me to Ticketmaster. I paid for a ticket and was told to download the ticket onto my mobile phone.

Fine -- except that I don't have a mobile phone. (I have an ancient flip phone which I don't think counts). Ticketmaster informs me that a mobile phone is necessary to get the tickets.

So, I've asked for (and will demand) a refund and I won't be at the US WNT game.

Am I impossibly old? Need I spend hundreds of dollars for a mobile phone I don't want so I can buy tickets to a soccer game?

jnielsen, Dundalk24 and blissett repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Some stadiums allow will call but mobile tickets are becoming the norm for a variety of reasons.

5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the words of one of our Ex Presidents....."I feel your pain"
    Around ShebaLeaves this year, they started their "transition" to mobile only. Had a couple matches where they had a special Will Call windows at the Match Site to print tickets. They/Sites have now phased that choice out.
    Not being able to attend USWNT Matches is the ONLY reason in the universe that I broke down and purchased one of those d*mn things. But now, I'm an UBER Jockey so it all evens out.

6. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, mobile only ticketing is a drag. I am in the same situation, without any type of cell phone. You don't need a smartphone to get a ticket. The box office will print one for you on the day of the game. I have done this a few times, most recently for the US/Chile match at Avaya Stadium earlier this month.

US Soccer and Ticketmaster should make the correct information easier to find. Here is the pertinent FAQ from US Soccer (https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/q4rou13td4ezbpz8j9b8hc3lrmcisp0g)

"Do not have smartphone, what should I do?

As early as possible on match day, go to the ticket office and your ticket(s) can be
    printed for you."

The Mobile Ticketing FAQ's are on the Match Guide. https://www.ussoccer.com/schedule-tickets/20181004-2018-concacaf-womens-championship-match-guide

I am not going to this match. I will be in Frisco, TX for the semifinal and final/3rd place doubleheaders.

jnielsen, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, the recent "Mobile Ticket Only" warning messages had me convinced that they had entirely discontinued the "paper" option. Glad that I was wrong.
    If you ever see a helicopter hovering in one end zone for the entirety of a Match, you'll know that I got pimped at the entrance gate.

jnielsen, Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you for existing. I feel less alone when I realize that I am not the only one left on earth in this same condition. :alien:

jnielsen and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure if you try the box office/will call office, they will get your ticket validated for the event. It's not in their best interest to deny someone who paid for a ticket entrance just because they don't have a mobile phone.

kennytt, Smallchief and blissett repped this.
  10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I resisted getting a cell phone for years and even after I did get one I stuck with a basic "flip" phone for quite a while.

But a few years ago I discovered that it was overall cheaper for me to have a cell phone than it was to have a land line and a couple of years ago I stumbled on to a plan ( Project Fi ) that was almost perfect for me and quite inexpensive. Its only drawback was it require a "Smart" phone. After much soul searching I bit the bullet and got a compatible phone and that is what I have been using ever since.

I like the phone I have now but I very much under utilize its features but it works for me and I guess it would be fine if I ever need to purchase any tickets.

I both like and do not like the cell phone technology. I think it is both the greatest thing ever and the biggest impediment to communication ever invented. I would very much like to be a complete Luddite but I also love what the technology brings to me. I guess I am very much technologically bipolar and my multiple personalities can be VERY confusing..

11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're not old.
    I think they need to accommodate your needs. I also have a flip phone (no smart phone).
    It's silly to think that we cannot conduct transactions without a smart phone.
    What if I cannot afford a cell phone or don't want to pay for one? What then?

kennytt, Dundalk24 and blissett repped this.
  12. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think this list is a bit easier to follow:
    [​IMG]

It's great that all the games (even ones not involving the US) will be televised. Unfortunately a lot of them (even two of the US matches) are on FS2, which I don't get. :( Though it does appear that US games will be reairing at 4 AM ET/1 AM PT on FS1 at least.

jnielsen, jackdoggy and kernel_thai repped this.
  13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thank you and others for your advice and support regarding my problem getting a ticket through Ticketmaster for the October 4 game -- and finding it impossible to get a ticket online because I do not own a smart phone.

Ticketmaster turned down my request for a refund. I plan to write the president of Ticketmaster.

U.S. soccer was very responsive saying that, in agreement with your advice, I could present my receipt at the box office and they would print me a ticket. I hope that is true, because I plan to show up at the box office, receipt in hand.

Hell hath no fury like that of a senior citizen with time on his hands who believes he has suffered an injustice!

kennytt, Dundalk24, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!!

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unleash your hell! We're behind you. :ninja:

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And quite glad that we're not in front of you!

blissett and jackdoggy repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The first matches of the WCQ tournament are just days away and I find little real discussion about them except in very general terms. I wonder, other that on the US as I know those, who should be watched and how each national side plays.

I have seen Mexico play and a few of the other teams but my old brain did not retain much about about their play.

I would like to know a bit more about the teams that the US will face and I would like to know more about the others to enhance my enjoyment of their matches.

Also which matches should particularly be watched and who is the best bet for second and third place and does the US, assuming play to form, have any team to really worry about.

The current thinking seems to be that the finish will be:
    1. US
    2. Canada
    3. Mexico
    But I am unsure of that as the form I have seen from both Canada and Mexico seems to suggest that their form has fallen some and, from what I hear, there are some others that are playing better than they ever have. I would just like to hear a bit about those other teams from others.

I have always felt that some of the other teams in CONCACAF just need some decent backing from their federations to become quite acceptable on the field.

18. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a must-win game and we should qualify....With 36 matches btw 2 teams. Mexico has only one win and one draw...This game is just a routine...

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    huh??

that 1 win was in another supposedly routine game.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Gee, where have I heard this before?

jnielsen repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically nobody is saying anything because if we lose, it's inexcusable and Ellis will finally be fired.

blissett and jnielsen repped this.
  22. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No one remembers the 2011 round when Mexico won WCQ? We went to a 2 game playoff with Italy; and, Alex Morgan squeaked us into the WC.

blissett repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nope, Ellis will only be fired if we fail to qualify at all. After all her record includes the last WWC with no major losses (except for the hiccup at the Olympics) since. We may dislike her style and we may believe that she is setting up for a major drop in form but until that actually happens I believe her job is very safe. I doubt a second or third or even fourth (if we win the playoff) place finish in this tournament will endanger her job.

At least on the women's side we actually we have leadership that knows how to win and we have a core of veterans that are still quite good and a good number of youngsters that are rapidly learning to be better and better. The men's side is, at best, in total disarray and without much hope at this time to be any better in the next cycle.

It is nice to have a real good women's team that the only real debate comes when trying to figure how to stay on top and/or get the best out if all the talent we have

cpthomas repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico didn't win the WCQ tournament in 2010. Canada did. Mexico did beat us in the semifinal round. The US then beat Costa Rica in the 3rd place game to go to the playoff. That was when we had only 2.5 spots. Now CONCACAF has 3.5 spots. I'm not saying it can't happen, and they definitely should take qualifying seriously (as they should any tournament that matters), but it would take a monumental collapse for this US team to not qualify.

jnielsen, kennytt and holden repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I don't think Canada's form has really fallen that much. They're a very good team that usually rises to the challenge when playing the US.

Besides Mexico, I think Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago are the ones to watch. T&T has players that play in the US, and Costa Rica has a few that play overseas. I don't know the current form of T&T really, but if the cards fall in place for either Costa Rica or T&T, I think its possible that one of those teams could take the #3 spot and force another team into the playoff.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of video of many of these teams out there (besides Canada and Mexico), so its looking at stats and rosters and game results to try to piece together a bigger picture.