(WC Qualifier) Kazakhstan v. Germany - 03.22.2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Vasu, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's the part that confuses me about it not working against big teams. The second time we ever played it was in the second half against a french side who'd recently fought Spain to a draw, and the formation was crucial in our win there. It's not perfect and there were absolutely goals left on the pitch, but those goals they didn't score weren't crosses that weren't headed in, but one-two's that weren't sharp between players who don't often play together in this formation. Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait and see for the doubters to admit they may have made their minds up prematurely.

2. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Wouldn't Ozil be a better #10 though?

Serious question, why didn't Reus start? I know he'll ********ing explode where Podolski is playing. And Gotze was amazingly calm today, ok - Kazakhstan, but still, mature performance by such a young squad.

Was I the only one pleased that Schmelzer looked absolutely fine today? I think he is our left back now.

3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    people still asking why Reus didnt start... sigh

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus was suspended for this match.

5. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    http://www.11freunde.de/liveticker/kasachstan-deutschland-im-11freunde-liveticker-0

Groß im Bild: Mitte vierzigjährige Deutsche, die nach Astana geflogen sind, um dieses Spiel zu sehen. Wir wenden uns vertrauensvoll an deren Frauen: Jetzt denkt mal ohne Hemmungen darüber nach, ob in Eurer Ehe alles in Ordnung ist, Ladies. Deutschland gegen Kasachstan: Das ist doch schlimmer, als würde er Euch mit der dicken Petra aus der Buchhaltung betrügen. Nicht wahr.

herthabsc and Hendrik repped this.
  6. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    dude how old are you? I've got a PhD to keep up with, sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Dhajj repped this.
  7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hendrik can you translate pls ?

8. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good for you

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? Congrats. What field?

10. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought this was a brilliant move to a 4-3-3 transition..

Our link up and chances were endless..
    Of course we had leaks and scares at the back, but we had merte and howedes... No really experienced together..

Give this lineup some time, I think it should be used for ever single WCQ and friendly till WC time.

I loved gotze upfront, he's a box dribbling beast.

Everyone played well, piggy was beast as he's been in past years. It's such night and day when he's on form.
    Something we lacked at euros after his injury year..

My starting squad would be this:

Lahm hummels badstuber/boetang schmelzer
    Piggy Ozil khedira
    Muller gotze Reus

If we need more firepower because a team his bunkering like crazy. We can add kroos instead of khedira and pair him beside piggy.

If piggy is in need of rest gundogan had risen nicely.

Schurrle as super sub 70+ to kill game off.

I think we're starting to build something here, we just need to start playing more consistent starting 11.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Oh boy is Götze lost in this position :S I wish Götze would have the drive of a Messi, then he could really become as good as Messi (in different way though), but he relies too much on his skills and thinks a few percentage of less running and effort are enough. Götze looked much better in this regard in the youth NTs.

To be a striker. His finishing and movement are nowhere near the level needed, if there is one Muller is the only one that can play up there.. if of course we are talking about a very mobile striker.

N to be honest , I dont think Müller would be any good as a striker... he needs to come from deep to detect space and use it (which he is world class in and which is, essentially, his main strength) and hes not a player who can greatly get the ball with the back to the goal and deliver it and spread it. BUt yeah, he couldnt be much worse then Götze today

Not to mention Mueller is too weak too play inside the box. Reus, Oezil, Mueller, Schuerrle are not at all physical enough to hold down defenders inside the box

I m not content with the result. We have many possessions but I think the execution is poor. And we don't have a plan B when the strikerless formation doesn't work. Again, I am saying Klose n Gomez are not very good alternatives

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Götze is not lost, Kirsten, were you watching the same match we were, dude? He and Özil combined brilliantly, his goal was class, his positioning great. Did he give his absolute best? No, but he didn't need to. He was clearly conserving energy, but he gave a great performance, and there's nowhere to go except up. His performance was reminiscent of another 3-0, vs Frankfurt, and that was good too.

His finishing and movement are nowhere near that of a striker? Dude, this shows you don't get his role in the match. We weren't trying to make him a striker. That would be stupid. A striker is consistently the most advanced player on the pitch; Götze was rarely the most advanced player on the pitch. The point is to eliminate the focal point of the attack so as to broaden the threat in midfield.

Without any striker to be marked and provided service to, the goals can come from anywhere. From Götze to Müller to Schweinsteiger. If you thought Götze's role was to be a striker, the most advanced player, the focal point, it is no wonder you thought he failed. Because he was executing his role, just not the role you thought he was supposed to execute.

It is funny how you just repeat the same old tired assertions over and over again with nothing to back it up. Failed to execute? We matched the result we had in the last match against Kazakhstan with a striker. You referred to the Austria match as a failure of the "tiki taka" Germany with no execution. News flash; that was with a striker. If we have a problem with execution, it isn't down to "striker or no striker", because the problem persists regardless.

And you think Shawn Parker and Kevin Volland are better alternatives? Again, THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT READY FOR PRIMETIME! They might be someday, but they aren't right now. They aren't even Top 15 strikers in the Bundesliga, and you think we should rely on them as our "Plan B", untested, unproven, and inexperienced. We should develop them, yes, we agree here. But let's develop them IN THE YOUTH TEAMS because that's exactly what they're freaking for! Developing players with potential that aren't ready for the senior team.

Dhajj repped this.
  13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. Dalmar

Dalmar Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

If you get to play the Kazakhs every week this would work. lol

I think we have been through this before. Sweini and Khedira midfield is brilliant as long as the opponents leave them so much space to have their three touches. Once time and space are denied both of them struggle. We have seen how Ozil is forced to come deep to start the distribution. Gundogan is the only player in Low's squad who can solve this problem. I'll admit the French didn't apply a lot of pressure in the middle either but the Dortmund man still is the hope of this team.

Next match I want to see Gundogan instead of Sweini with Rues on the flank. Low might exactly do that on Tuesday.

Khedira --------Ilkay------ Gotze

Muller---------- Ozil---------- Rues

15. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Systems Biology. Thanks dude.

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's cool. What are your career aspirations from there if you don't mind me asking?

17. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am happy we tried this formation and under the circumstances I think its the way to go. With Reus back it should even work better. However I have a hunch Loew will bring on Gomez as well in the next game. I still think that against stronger opponents this formation will even work better, as they will have more space to play these short passes successfully and will also have more opportunities to counter. Germany with these guys is still 0ne of the best counter attacking teams in the world. Regarding your formation above it should look more like this:
    ------Khedira --------Ilkay-------
    -------------------Oezil------------
    Muller----------------------- Reus
    -------------------Goetze-----------
    With them constantly interchanging positions

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You wouldn't take that Schweinsteiger IF (in-form) is important or that Kazakhstan is out of their league in UEFA?

20. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why are we leaving out piggy???

No piggy on the NT no title.... Period.

Unless your talking about the khazak game specifically..

It baffles my mind how were going to drop piggy for gundogan :s

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  22. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am not Hendrik - but I try (not a word for word translation)

Big in the picture: German Men in their forties who flew to Astana to watch this match. We like to ask their spouses truthfully: Ladies, do you really think that your marriage is still ok? Germany vs Kasachstan. Isn't that worse than if he would have a go with fat Petra from the accounting department?

Lahmfan repped this.
  23. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We created few chances against an opponent of this quality and even let them have chances. You standards must be really low if that qualifies for "very good".

What was "untried" about this formation? The only tactical change was Götze instead of Gomez and Götze still behaved like a striker.
    Also you guys also seem to forget the game vs the Netherlands, it was not the first time with Götze as "false 9" though it's telling that you guys don't even realise that.

24. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    After the first 2 goals, Germany took their foot off the pedal. Kazakhstan may be rubbish but they put all their players in defense and it is not as easy to score/create chances. Just ask Spain against Finland yesterday. Real Madrid with all their great attacking players struggle regularly against bottom teams who park the bus.

45 min against Netherlands and 15min(or was it more?) against France is not enough to judge a new formation.
    You need to play with it for 90 min at least 5-6 games to get an idea.

Dhajj repped this.
  25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was the first competitive fixture where it featured from the start and also the first game with most of the first team attackers playing the formation. I think it's a little more telling that you think that swapping Gomez with Gotze didn't change the way we built up and attacked all the way down the line. This was a very new system that had been tried in the first hour of a B-team friendly and in the last half hour of the next friendly. Given that the system showed flashes of what it was capable in a comfortable win. There's obviously still much work to be done, the guys need to perfect their timing and spacing up front and get the first choice CBs out there and gelling with the rest of the team, but for an official debut from the formation this was very promising to build off of what we saw in the friendlies.