(WC Qualifier) Austria vs. Germany 09.11.2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Sep 9, 2012.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm all for Podolski on the bench.

Then again, he'll have to show that he can even BE an option off the bench.

2. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're asking for too much. He'd be better ON the bench, basically glued to it, with the mere thought of him ever leaving the bench and actually participating in the game being completely non-existent. The role that suits him best is a purely functional one off the pitch, like that of a mascot or like one of the folding chairs the other players sit on.

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That mascot idea is actually pretty good. No, really, think about it.

4. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    kind of like what you do around here.

5. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    SirManchester,

Did you by any chance get to see how badstuber made that awesome tackle which saved hummels' ass?

nekkibasara and Raumdeuter repped this.
  6. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is it you, Lukasch? Either way, that was odd.

But it's true. At this point, having Podolski around as a part of the squad, but not on the pitch is likely more helpful and valuable during tournaments than letting him play. At least if we consider his personality and its effect on the morale and mood of the team even in moments of crisis on the one hand, and his performances since at least 2010 on the other.

Raumdeuter repped this.
  7. Kais3r

Kais3r Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Err guys i missed this match LOL. :ninja: Is there anywhere i can catch the full match (or even DL it)? If not any comprehensive highlights anywhere?

8. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    footytube.com

9. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I still think he has a lot to offer us, at the moment I fully support Loews decision to keep him on the bench. But if he does well for Arsenal, no problem for me with him starting.

Obsidian repped this.
  10. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Wenger manages to bring out the best in Podolski (and that 'best' will have to exceed the 'best' we've seen from him in the past couple of years by far) on a consistent basis, I'll gladly welcome him back on the pitch for Jogi's team. But currently, not much hints at him being the right player for the job. He'll have to improve tremendously first in various aspects to be a decent option. Until then however - and that was the main point - I wouldn't drop him entirely, but keep him in the squad, simply because he's good for the team spirit.

Dhajj repped this.
  11. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    It was appropriate in the context of your post. Which was responding to an argument that was never made.

Indeed. In that time, he showed himself to be a very good striker in our 4-4-2 formation, and a merely adequate winger in our rigid 4-2-3-1.

As a CF in our 4-2-3-1, he's never been properly tested in a real match. Against Austria for example he was given strict defensive instructions when coming on the pitch (since he does that better than an old Klose, or any version of Gomez), I thought he did his job well. Hardly evidence for (or against) him being starter material as a CF in our system though.

12. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think the analysis should be simpler. If he scores 20+ goals for arsenal, thats starter material for me.

13. bayern15

bayern15 Member

Jan 18, 2006
    not necessarily.... there will be games in which arsenal wins 5-6 to 0 like today and Podolski might get a brace or 3 goals per game.

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was waiting for this. Similarly Hummels bailed Badstuber out.

Also if we are going to talk about giveaways. Hummels made one but Badstuber also made a dreadful one towards the end of the first half.

Both weren't that good and the same goes for the rest of the team.

Like I said post-match, we can't tell much from this one regarding the backline aside from our fullback dilemma.

15. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Depends where he plays. As a winger, it will be all but impossible to reach those numbers in the Premier League.

16. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    The CL ought to show us all precisely how much Hummels has managed to lower his rate of random mental errors by over the past 12 months.

17. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He has raised that rate.

18. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Haha, I was just making sure we're on the same page. Hey, Hummels bailed badstuber out numerous times since they've been partners, about time bads pulled one back for him.

19. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He's not a winger, he just drifts around randomly and finds a good pass or takes a shot. Something that seems to be part of his game is quick 1-2 football, he does that very well. Anyway, he is entirely capable of pulling that number because he's not a gareth bale/nani type player.

20. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

how many of those are we getting? 2-3 games a year?

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't have your hopes raised.

My guess is Klopp will line up with the same suicidal formation/tactics this time around so we will continue to see an incredible amount of mistakes and openness from Dortmund.

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As I predicted - Podolski already seems earmarked for left wing - as he solves the defensive issues there.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Either way, I was happy to see them paired again. It is becoming obvious this is Loew's pairing going forward.

Now onto the fullbacks and the rest of the problems. That's another matter altogether.

24. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Lahm and Boateng seem by far to the best fullback combination. I know people spoke of Janschtke, but he doesn't seem to be performing this season. We did very well with boateng before, no reason why not to continue.

I wonder how merte is feeling, he seems a staple for arsene wengers lineup and has been tremendous this season for them. Interesting to see how it'll all unfold.

25. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Podolski is looking very comfortable with arsenal, this is the best ive seen of him since 2009 or so. He loves playing quick, one touch football which is physical and direct. He literally manhandled 2 southampton players before giving that great pass to gibbs (i know this is southampton but he still did a good job). On the wings he seems unstoppable for them because of how direct he is (unlike someone like reus who is far more intelligent, i dont think this style is suited to the EPL).

Lets see how he does, it's only been 4 game and he has to remain consistent, this isn't koln. a Bad game means he's relegated to the bench, lets hope he knows that.