WC group stage Simulator

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Sebastian Puerta Villegas, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, unless FIFA come up with something different (e.g. in 2002 they had 11 UEFA teams in one pot and another pot with only 5 teams ( unseeded CONMEBOL plus unseeded AFC)).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup#Seeds
    But that lead to some very uneven groups, so I doubt they will repeat it.

I hope they announce the official pots very soon after the Uruguay - Jordan match.

2. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are assuming that France will be the lone Euro team in Pot 3 because they have the lowest ranking of the Euro teams?

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    FIFA has basically closed the deal re Pot 1, but I could see them with some sort of quick fix for this one (as in throw all 9 UEFA teams in one pot and a random UEFA team would be added to the CONMEBOL / CAF pot.

4. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, I always figured it was the amount of bets they recieve, but I had no way of confirming it, but it does make perfect sense.

6. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I love us being underrated. It'll come in handy at the World Cup.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nothing personal, but any team that isn't the Netherlands, Italy, England, or France will be a relief from the UEFA pot from our perspective. You guys are more on our level. The CONCACAF/Asia pot just isn't as scary as the pot you guys are in.

8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    This is exactly what it is, and don't discount the amount of people like my brother who simply put down money on their team without any consideration of the actual likely hood of the bet coming up. The opposite strategy of the sharps in Vegas.

9. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I meant more the comment we were in the same ballpark as Greece. We beat them 3-1 at home (they scored in the (90+3') and we held them to a 0-0 draw away. I think we have proved we are a level above them. But otherwise I understand.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Bosnia showed itself quite better than Greece in qualifying, but this will be Bosnia's maiden World Cup while Greece has been there a few times (always done poorly though) and this is their 2nd consecutive qualification. Its possible that Greece will slightly out perform Bosnia for that reason.

At the same time, the best way Bosnia can win over skeptics is to do very well at the World Cup with everyone watching. Loading a lot of expectations on your team and players in their maiden World Cup could have the opposite effect and, as you mentioned, you should actually be happy with folks underestimating Bosnia. That will make your team that much more impressive, surpassing expectations.

All that said, I wish I could do my rankings again. I feel I have been unintentionally unfair to Bosnia in my ranking, influenced more by their lack of pedigree than actual record.

11. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I tested it out. Results:

Group A
    1. Brazil
    2. Greece
    3. Cameroon
    4. Iran

Group B
    1. Spain
    2. USA
    3. Bosnia-Herzegovina
    4. Nigeria

Group C
    1. England
    2. Chile
    3. Switzerland
    4. Honduras

Group D
    1. Argentina
    2. Portugal
    3. Algeria
    4. Australia

Group E
    1. Belgium
    2. Russia
    3. Ghana
    4. Mexico

Group F
    1. Colombia
    2. Croatia
    3. Côte d'Ivoire
    4. Korea Republic

Group G
    1. Germany
    2. Netherlands
    3. Ecuador
    4. Japan

H
    1. Italy
    2. Uruguay
    3. France
    4. Costa Rica

[​IMG]
    Last 16
    Brazil - USA
    England - Portugal
    Belgium - Croatia
    Germany - Uruguay
    Spain - Greece
    Argentina - Chile
    Colombia - Russia
    Italy - Netherlands

Quaterterfinal
    Brazil - Portugal
    Belgium/Croatia - Germany
    Spain
    - Argentina
    Russia - Italy/Netherlands

Semi-Final
    Brazil - Germany
    Spain - Italy/Netherlands

Bronze
    Brazil/Germany - Italy/Netherlands

Final
    Brazil/Germany - Spain

12. Matt121

Matt121 New Member

Melbourne City
    Australia
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What I managed to get

Group B
    Belgium
    Australia
    Ecuador
    England

Easy draw now only hope it would be like that for the main tournament

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have rated, for each pot, the teams that I least want Iran to face in order. The group of death for us would be a truly scary group, with Brazil, Italy, France, and Iran. Those kind of groups would be insane. On the other extreme, there are groups that I think give us as much as our mathematical chance to advance. For instance, Switzerland, Greece, Algeria and Iran. That would be awesome and I would be disappointed if we couldn't advance from such a group.

Anyway, here is the list with the order of preference (least desirable to be in our group - to most tolerable) that I came up with:

Pot 1:

1- Brazil 2-Argentina 3-Spain 4- Germany 5-Colombia 6-Uruguay 7-Belgium 8-Switzerland

Pot 2 (unseeded UEFA sides)

1- Italy 2- Netherlands 3- Portugal 4- England 5- Russia 6- Croatia 7- Greece 8- Bosnia

Pot 3 (France + CAF + Chile and Ecuador)

1- France 2- Chile 3- Nigeria 4- Ghana 5- Ivory Coast 6- Ecuador 7- Cameroon 8-Algeria

Of course, since I am assuming Concacaf and the AFC teams will be put together, I skipped over that pot.

zahzah repped this.
  14. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have individual match tickets to three matches in Recife; 24, 34, 45. D4vsD2, A2vsA3, and G4vsG1. Obviously, until the draw on December 6, I have no idea who I will be seeing. I have made a list of all the teams in the tournament and categorized them into 4 groups; Dream Come True, Great Experience, Fun To See, and Don't Really Care. We already know where Brazil is playing and I won't be there.

Dream Come True- USA - Argentina - Spain

Great Experience- Mexico - England - Netherlands - Germany - Colombia - Uruguay - Portugal - Italy

Fun To See- Belgium - Switzerland - South Korea - Japan - Iran - Australia - Costa Rica - Chile - Ecuador - Ivory Coast - Ghana - France

Don't Really Care- Honduras - Algeria - Cameroon - Greece - Bosnia - Croatia - Russia - Nigeria

The simulator says I would get...
    D2vsD4- Greece vs South Korea
    A2vsA3- Japan vs Cameroon
    G4vsG1- Netherlands vs Argentina

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Interesting list. I am not going to be anywhere near Brazil at the time of the World Cup, but I will hopefully be watching these games through my television set. And for me, the most and least interesting teams to watch would be as follows:

Must See (won't miss):
    Iran
    Most Interested to see (I will see their games, unless there is an unavoidable conflict):
    Japan, South Korea, Australia, USA, Germany, Argentina
    Like to See (If I am around to watch, I will definitely watch):
    Brazil, England, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Colombia, Ghana, Bosnia, Ivory Coast
    Would not mind watching (I will try to watch if I am around, unless I have something better to do):
    Portugal, Russia, France, Chile, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Uruguay, Cameroon
    Don't really care (might watch if I am totally bored and have nothing else to do):
    Croatia, Algeria, Greece, Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras

Of course, since even teams that I am not all that interested to watch will inevitably play teams that I really want to see, I will probably end up watching almost all these teams. That is what I have done in the past few World Cup and will likely be doing the same again.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #41 zahzah, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    Well... it's official: Switzerland a seeded team and France en route to create an epic group of death.

=---

My final draw delivered a nice even;y spread out draw with the closest thing to a group of death being: Belgium, Portugal, Chile, Mexico

Ghana gets this draw: Switzerland, Korea, England.

17. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Thw winners of groups C, E and G will face Brazil before the final ( if Brazil wins Group A of course). The Final game in Rio will be likely beetwen the winner of bracket 1 ( A, C, E, G) and the other winner of bracket 2 ( B,D, F, H).
    Therefore the group draw is critical